You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Aerial View of Residential Areas]

[An Aerial View of Residential Areas]

Date: April 29, 1967
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: An aerial view of residential area in Mineral Wells is shown here. The exact locale of the photograph is unclear.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Art Weaver 's Studio]

[Art Weaver 's Studio]

Date: unknown
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: This picture shows the 400 block of North Oak Avenue as it was in 1975. Art Weaver Photography (412 North Oak Avenue) is shown, adjacent to and right of the Grand theater (formerly the Crazy Theater). (This picture collection is part of the lifetime collection of pictures of Art Weaver.) The Baker Hotel is in the background on the skyline at the far right of the picture. NOTE: The camera angle and its lens make this picture appear to be a street corner. However, North Oak Avenue is actually a straight street, running North-South.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Hotel, East Side]

[The Crazy Hotel, East Side]

Date: unknown
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: This photograph was taken in front of the Weaver Photography Studio (412 North Oak)in 1974, and looking west across Oak Street to the Crazy Hotel. The east-side entrance to hotel is clearly visible. The picture was taken before the widening of US Highway 281 through town in year 2005. The automobile at the curb was Mr. Weaver's. The entrance to Crazy drinking water pavilion is on the far right of picture, through a hooded door, under a tile-covered shed roof. It is visible above the hood of the automobile in the foreground. The lobby entrance is beyond the pickup truck, under the "Crazy Hotel" sign. Steps that lead to Mr. Weaver's photography studio are on the front left of the picture. The curved effect of the picture comes from the wide-angle, short focal-length lens that Mr. Weaver used to obtain the photograph.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
"Crazy Hotel Opens"

"Crazy Hotel Opens"

Date: March 10, 1994
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: CRAZY HOTEL OPENS: A program Presented by A.F. Weaver to the Mineral Wells Heritage Association March 10, 1994. [This is the first of ten pages, stapled at upper left-hand corner.] The text was probably computer-generated in 13-point sans-serif script and it is likely that Mr. Weaver began his program with a contemporary newspaper account of the gala opening of the re-built hotel. Certainly the opening of the significant hotel was a red-letter day in the history of Mineral Wells. A photocopy of a souvenir menu was laminated on the back of Mr. Weaver's prepared program.]
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Water Well--1974]

[The Crazy Water Well--1974]

Date: March 24, 1974
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The original Crazy Woman's Well is preserved under the sidewalk at the northwest corner of the Crazy Hotel. This is the well the mentally-challenged (or the once-designated "Crazy woman") drank from that "cured" her dementia. Although not used for years, the well probably only requires a pump to resume production. Printed on the back of this picture is "The Crazy Well as today", and stamped "Mar. 21, 1974."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Demolition of the Convention Hall--1 of 2:   Front View]

[The Demolition of the Convention Hall--1 of 2: Front View]

Date: 1975
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The metal framework of the Mineral Wells Convention Hall is all that it readily visible during its demolition in 1975. Built on the rock foundation of the Hexagon House Electric Plant (for the West Texas Chamber of Commerce Convention in 1925), it served as the site of numerous local functions including High School Graduation Exercises. The landmark Hexagon Hotel, Mineral Wells' first electrically-lighted hotel, stood on the vacant corner lot in the left foreground of this picture from 1897 to 1959.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Demolition of the Convention Hall, 2 of 2:  From a Block Away]

[The Demolition of the Convention Hall, 2 of 2: From a Block Away]

Date: 1975
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: This photograph was taken at an early stage of the demolition of the Mineral Wells Convention Hall on N. Oak Avenue. Built in 1925 to accommodate the West Texas Chamber of Commerce Convention, it was constructed on the rock foundation of the Hexagon Hotel's electric power plant. The Hexagon Hotel, Mineral Wells' first electrically-lighted hotel, stood on the vacant corner lot in the foreground of this picture. It was torn down in 1959. When the Convention Hall was torn down in 1975, a member of the demolition crew said the new owner of the former London Bridge (to be re-erected at Havasu City in Arizona)was interested in acquiring the rocks to build the foundation for a fort to be constructed at the same site. (One local story credits that interest in the foundation stones as the reason for the demolition of the Convention Hall.)
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 1 of 11:   Wood Pile and Building]

[The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 1 of 11: Wood Pile and Building]

Date: unknown
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The third building of the First Baptist Church was built in 1920; it was used until 1967, at which time it was demolished for the current building. The First Baptist church was originally located in a frame building on the southwest corner of the Crazy block in 1883. A second church was built at the corner of SW 4th Avenue and West Hubbard Street, facing SW 4th Avenue. It was a frame building with two steeples. A brick church, facing Hubbard Street, was erected to accommodate the congregation in 1920. These photographs illustrate the demolition of this building. The present church was erected in 1967 at the corner of SW 4th Avenue and SW 1st Street.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 2 of 11:   Another Angle]

[The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 2 of 11: Another Angle]

Date: unknown
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The first house of worship of the congregation of First Baptist Church, located in the southwest corner of the Crazy Well block, was purchased in 1883 and was used until 1900. The First Baptist Church was re-located to the corner of W. Hubbard and Pecan Street (now SE 4th Avenue) in 1900, and used until 1967.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 3 of 11:   East View]

[The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 3 of 11: East View]

Date: unknown
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The second home of the congregation of the First Baptist Church was built in 1920. It was used until 1967, when it was demolished. The current First Baptist Church is the third one built in the same location. Please see Number 1 of this collection for details.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library