You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Old Home in Mineral Wells]

[An Old Home in Mineral Wells]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: An old home, located in Mineral Wells, Texas, on 404 SW 3rd Street is shown here. The Baker Hotel faintly visible in the background, looking about half-way up the lowermost branch of the tree in front of the house, and looking towards the northeast.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Old Map of Mineral Wells]

[An Old Map of Mineral Wells]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: An early cadastral map of Mineral Wells with the original street names, it also shows the unusual topography of the surrounding mountains. The streets were paved in 1914, and the street names were changed January 1,1920.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Old Matt Skeen Home - 516 NE 4th Avenue]

[The Old Matt Skeen Home - 516 NE 4th Avenue]

Date: June 1974
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a picture of old Matt Skeen Home at 516 NE 4th Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas. The porch, the face of the gable, and the differing roof lines all suggest later remodeling. Note the unusual candle-snuffer roof of the unusually-placed tower. The picture was taken June of 1974.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Old Post Office]

[The Old Post Office]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture shows what is now [2101] known as "The Old Post Office Building." A horse, dragging a cart, is seen drinking out of a trough in front of it. The trough is now [2010]located in the Mineral Wells Commons park. The whereabouts of horse is unknown. The building now [2010] houses the Women's club. The picture is featured in "Time Was in Mineral Wells" on page 188.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The "Old" Post Office]

[The "Old" Post Office]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: None
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
On the Broadway of America Highway, Mineral Wells, Texas

On the Broadway of America Highway, Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The title on the Picture states, "On The Broadway Of America Highway, Mineral Wells, Texas." This picture shows a section of the Bankhead Highway, looking east where the main road to Millsap descends from the mountain on which the Mineral Wells Airport stands. Once identified as part of US Highway 281 south of town [Mineral Wells], it overlooks much of the scenery viewed from "Observation Point",at one time called one of the most scenic vistas in the state. The Bankhead Highway was America's first transcontinental highway, starting at Mile Zero on the steps of the Capitol in Washington, D. C. It terminated in San Diego, California, and was named for Senator John Hollis Bankhead, head of the Good Roads Movement. It was once labeled "The Broadway of America." The road was approved by Congress in 1916, but construction was delayed by World War I. Hundreds of miles were built in the 1920's when it crossed Palo Pinto County. Mineral Wells' main streets, Hubbard Street and SE 6th Avenue were part of the Bankhead Highway. Hollis Bankhead was the grandfather of Broadway Actress, Tallulah Bankhead. His brother ran a Drugstore in Gordon, Texas, with the proud motto: "The best is none ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
One of the Residence Streets

One of the Residence Streets

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Pictured here is a promotional brochure. The main part of the picture is a view looking west on Moore Street (now NE 6th Street). At the left (south) side of the street, in the middle distance, is the Hexagon House Hotel that was built by David G. Galbraith, inventor of the paper clip. The hotel opened in 1897. To the immediate left is the Gibson Well and Drinking Pavilion. At the far corner of the Gibson property, in the middle of the street, appears to be the public drinking fountain shown in a companion picture--AWO_1076P--which is also included in the Weaver Collection. The fountain was apparently removed from the intersection when the "Dinky cars" began operating to Lake Pinto in 1905. The poor quality of the image is due to print screening.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Opening of the First Season at Mineral Wells

The Opening of the First Season at Mineral Wells

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A.F. Weaver obtained this cartoon from a jocular booklet titled "Inside Story About the Waters", now in the Palo Pinto County Album collection (q.v.). The booklet is written in the nineteenth-century burlesque tradition, and is not meant to be taken seriously. See also the cartoons "The First Well Was Dug Here in 1877" and "Mr. Lynch on His Way to Discover Mineral Wells."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Opening of the New Brick Highway - 1936]

[The Opening of the New Brick Highway - 1936]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A new, brick-topped highway was opened between Mineral Wells and Weatherford in 1936. In the opening ceremony, J. Pat Corrigan is identified cutting the symbolic ribbon held by Allan Wallace and W.A. Ross. The new brick highway began at [NE?] 9th Avenue, and extended along East Hubbard Street. Brick paving the 21-mile stretch of road was laid entirely by hand by two black men whose names, however, were never preserved for posterity.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Original Baptist Church Building at SW 4th Avenue

The Original Baptist Church Building at SW 4th Avenue

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: None
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library