You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Decade: 1950-1959
 Language: English
[Inspiration Point]

[Inspiration Point]

Date: 1950~
Creator: unknown
Description: The label on the photograph reads both "Possum Kingdom Dam" and "Inspiration Point". A. F. and Patsy Weaver are shown enjoying the view from Inspiration Point. A.F. Weaver himself took the photograph, using a tripod and camera timer,in the same vicinity where he had proposed to Patsy Weaver years before this photograph was taken. In the early part of the twentieth century,the internationally known evangelist, Billy Sunday, visited Mineral Wells. He was told about an outstanding view from a vantage point south of town. On seeing the vista for himself,the Rev. Sunday remarked it was truly an inspirational view. Since that time the viewpoint has been known as "Inspiration Point". This vista is seven miles south of Mineral Wells off US Highway 281, and approximately 40 miles below the Morris Sheppard Dam at Possum Kingdom Lake. It has been called one of the most beautiful scenic views in Texas. This picture has possibly been used in the course of the advertising of interesting things to see and do around Mineral Wells, which might explain the label attached to the photograph. Similarly captivating is a view from "Observation Point" the Dam at Possum Kingdom Lake. The two vistas, some 20 to ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Points of Interest in and About Mineral Wells

Points of Interest in and About Mineral Wells

Date: 1950?
Creator: unknown
Description: A photograph of a collage in a Mineral Wells Area Chamber of Commerce advertisement includes a postcard that pictures points of interest in and about the city. Pictured are: An aerial view of Camp Wolters, the Recreation Center showing a theater, gymnasium, and PX, with an inset of the base hospital; Possum Kingdom Dam and part of the eponymous lake; a local beauty queen; an aerial view of downtown Mineral Wells, Texas; Lake Mineral Wells (with the island that was inundated when the dam was subsequently raised); a view from Inspiration Point south of the city; and the Baker Hotel. The text publicizes the various assets and tourist attractions to be found in and around the "City Built on Water." One photograph in the collage is upside-down.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Palo Pinto County Star (Palo Pinto, Tex.), Vol. 74, No. 1, Ed. 1 Friday, June 22, 1951

Palo Pinto County Star (Palo Pinto, Tex.), Vol. 74, No. 1, Ed. 1 Friday, June 22, 1951

Date: June 22, 1951
Creator: Schoolcraft, Mrs. E. C.
Description: A weekly newspaper from Palo Pinto, Texas that included local, state, and national news along with advertising.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Palo Pinto County Star (Palo Pinto, Tex.), Vol. 74, No. 4, Ed. 1 Friday, July 13, 1951

Palo Pinto County Star (Palo Pinto, Tex.), Vol. 74, No. 4, Ed. 1 Friday, July 13, 1951

Date: July 13, 1951
Creator: Schoolcraft, Mrs. E. C.
Description: A weekly newspaper from Palo Pinto, Texas that included local, state, and national news along with advertising.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The First Anniversary of the Aviation Engineer Force Activation

The First Anniversary of the Aviation Engineer Force Activation

Date: April 10, 1952
Creator: Daniel Photography
Description: Troops and spectators celebrate the first anniversary of Aviation Engineer Force Activation at Wolters Air Force Base on April 10, 1952, with Colonel A.B. Campfield, the Commander of Troops; Brigadier General H.W. Ehrgott, Commanding; Colonel Philip G. Kemp, the Base Commander.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Young Motor Co.

Young Motor Co.

Date: May 1952
Creator: Weaver, A. F.
Description: A text on the photograph identifies it as "May 1952-Grand Opening after fire of 1951," "316 E. Hubbard Street," "Photo by A. F. Weaver." This business was the local General Motors dealership and garage. It became Barnett-Young in late 1960's and in 1984 after Cecil Young's death it was Barnett Motor Co. The building is adjacent to the Baker Hotel parking garage, and, in 2007, it houses the H & H Tire Company.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Burro, Yearbook of Mineral Wells High School, 1953

The Burro, Yearbook of Mineral Wells High School, 1953

Date: 1953
Creator: Mineral Wells High School (Mineral Wells, Tex.)
Description: Yearbook for Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas includes photos of and information about the school, student body, teachers, and organizations.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Aerial View of Downtown Mineral Wells in 1954]

[An Aerial View of Downtown Mineral Wells in 1954]

Date: 1954
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a picture of an aerial view of downtown Mineral Wells (taken from the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram, January 1954)at about South Oak Avenue, and looking north-northeast. Some of the buildings identifiable in the picture no longer exist. The Damron Hotel, at the middle left of the picture, burned in 1975. The Oxford Hotel/First National Bank building, one block east [right] of the Damron, near the center of the picture, burned in 1983. It has been replaced by Lynch Plaza. The Hexagon Hotel, in the upper left corner of the picture, (north and above the Crazy) was demolished in 1959. The Convention Center behind the Hexagon was demolished in 1976. Landmarks still standing are: The 13-story (including a Roof Garden) Baker Hotel, dominating the upper right of the picture; The Crazy Hotel (now a retirement home) at the upper left of the picture; and the old Post Office in the upper middle of the picture (between the Baker and Crazy Hotels), which is now the Woman's Club. The building across the street and to the south (this side of the Baker) was demolished to make room for the Mineral Wells Savings and Loan, which in turn was replaced by The ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Letter Concerning Mineral Wells High School 1953 Graduation]

[A Letter Concerning Mineral Wells High School 1953 Graduation]

Date: 1954?
Creator: R. B. Shiflet
Description: A letter is shown here (dated November 27, 2002) from R. B. Shiflet to Bob Bellamy, concerning the Mineral Wells High School graduating classes of 1953 and 1954. It states that the move to the "new" campus occurred during the Christmas holidays of 1953. The letter also describes classroom conditions during this period. Houston School faculty members are mentioned, as well. They included R. B. Shiflet, Mrs. D. R. (Ferne) Hudson and Mrs. Mildred Burnham.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Cullen Grimes School

The Cullen Grimes School

Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.
Description: Principal Donald Bond, the teachers and the students of the afternoon group at Cullen Grimes School in Mineral Wells, Texas congregate in front of the building in March of 1954.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 NEXT LAST