You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Decade: 1960-1969
History of Elmhurst Park

History of Elmhurst Park

Date: 1960?
Creator: unknown
Description: Elmhurst Park, on Pollard Creek about three miles southwest of downtown Mineral Wells, closed when the trolley from the city to the Park ceased operations in 1913. The City of Mineral Wells received the park property, a housing project was opened there about the time the nation began mobilizing for World War II, and construction of Fort Wolters began. (At one time, Fort Wolters was the largest Infantry Replacement Training Center in the nation; nearly 500,000 soldiers passed through the Mineral Wells railway depot during the war). The site was returned to the City of Mineral Wells following the war, and made available to veterans and their families. The area is now the site of City Water Treatment and Waste Disposal facilities.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells, Texas]

[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells, Texas]

Date: January 21, 1964
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: An aerial view of Mineral Wells, Texas, taken by A. F. Weaver on April 29, 1967 looks North on Oak Avenue. Identifiable in the picture are the Baker Hotel to the middle right of the picture, The Crazy Hotel in the middle left, the old Post Office (now the Ladies Club) one block north of The Baker, and the Nazareth Hospital (one block left of The Crazy Hotel). Also in the picture are now-destroyed buildings: The Damron Hotel (just left of center), the Baker Water Storage Building (mid-upper right, small white building just to right of Baker Hotel), the Oxford Hotel (just right of center, now [2008] Lynch Plaza) and the Convention Hall(upper left).
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[First Christian Church]

[First Christian Church]

Date: July 27, 1964
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: Typed on the back photograph is: THIS PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN BY A.F. WEAVER 1901 N. W. 6TH AVE. MINERAL WELLS, TEXAS DATE JUL 27, 1964. It is a view of the limestone church occupying the site of the former Gibson Well Park and Pavilion. Some of the rock used in this church came from owners of the historic Rock Pens on Dillingham Prairie.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[First Christian Church]

[First Christian Church]

Date: July 27, 1964
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: On the back of photograph is typed: THIS PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN BY, A. F. WEAVER 1901 N. W. 6TH AVENUE MINERAL WELLS TEXAS DATE JUL 27 1964. First Christian church occupies the site of the former Gibson Well Park and Pavilion in the 700 block of NW 2nd Avenue (the address on the photograph was A.F. Weaver's home.) Some of the limestone used to build the church was donated by latter-day owners of the historic Rock Pens on Dillingham Prairie, where the first meeting of the Northwest Texas Cattle Raisers' Association was held in 1876. Oliver Loving's son, J.C. Loving, wrote a letter to northwest Texas ranchers after the meeting, inviting them to meet the following February in Graham, where the Association was organized. C.C. Slaughter, once the richest man in Texas, owned the Rock Pens at the time of the Stock Raisers' meeting.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A View of NE 1st Avenue]

[A View of NE 1st Avenue]

Date: 1965?
Creator: unknown
Description: In this view of NE 1st Avenue, the Old Post Office Building is shown at the end of the street and at the left of the picture. It is now [2007] The Woman's Club. The Baker Hotel (apparently under construction) can be seen at the far right of the picture. The Southwestern Bell Telephone Company building in the center of the picture sits across NE 1st Street, and to the north of the Baker.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 5 of 11:   Looking Northeast.]

[The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 5 of 11: Looking Northeast.]

Date: 1967
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The church building, shown here as being demolished, was built in 1920; and was replaced in 1967 by the present church building. It is the third Baptist church built on this site. Please see photograph number 1 for details.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 7 of 11:   Frame and Rubble]

[The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 7 of 11: Frame and Rubble]

Date: 1967
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The First Baptist Church's second building was built in 1920, and used until 1967. It was demolished to build the third, and current, church on the same site. Please see photograph number 1 for details.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 8 of 11:   Frame of Building]

[The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 8 of 11: Frame of Building]

Date: 1967
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The second building of the First Baptist Church was built in 1920, and used until 1967. It was then demolished to build the third and current church on the same site. Please see photograph number 1 for details.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 10 of 11:   Frame and Rubble]

[The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 10 of 11: Frame and Rubble]

Date: 1967
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The second First Baptist Church building was built in 1920, and used until 1967. It was demolished to build the third and current church on the same site. Please see photograph number 1 for details.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 11 of 11:   Partially Demolished]

[The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 11 of 11: Partially Demolished]

Date: 1967
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The second First Baptist Church building was built in 1920, and used until 1967. It was demolished to build the third and current church on the same site. Please see photograph number 1 for details.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 NEXT LAST