You limited your search to:
Boyce Ditto Public Library
An inscription at the bottom of the photograph reads" Pat--Ike." The "Ike" presumably refers to Ike Zablosky, who came from Russia to Philadelphia in 1890. He and his wife, Fanny Jaffee, later moved to Mineral Wells for health reasons where he became involved in the fur-and-hide business. Zablosky once described the northwest part of Palo Pinto County as a "'Possum kingdom"; hence the first flood-control lake on the Brazos River was named Possum Kingdom Lake. (The story is that it was named that by president Franklin Roosevelt himself.)
Zabloski sponsored a local baseball team. He bought a Texas League franchise, after he moved to Dallas, when it became available. It was to become Dallas' first professional baseball team.
He pioneered the founding of city farm teams, and acted as umpire and coach.
The last name of the "Pat" in the photograph is unknown. He was associated with a team known as the White Sox, which held spring training in Mineral Wells in 1911 and again from 1915-1917.
This picture is dated 1917. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29810/
- [The Crazy Theatre--With a Car]
This photograph may be found in A. F. Weaver's Book, "Time Was...", 2nd edition, on page 17. It is captioned "Crazy Theater, 400 North Oak Avenue, photo around 1918." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20431/
- Hotel Damron, Mineral Wells, Texas
This picture shows a post-card view of the Damron Hotel in Mineral Wells, Texas. It was built in 1906 as The Colonial Hotel by rancher J.T. Holt for his second wife, who would not live in the country. The hotel was traded around 1917 to Agnew and Bessie Damron in exchange for a ranch. The hotel burned in 1978. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16184/
- [Children With Bicycle and Hoop,]
Dated "Jan 10, 1919", this picture was contained in an envelope postmarked "Aug. 4 '75", and addressed to A. F. Weaver Photography from Charles W. [Windell] Simonds.
Handwriting on the envelope indicates it was from a short-wave "Ham' radio operator correspondent and friend of Mr. Weaver. Notes on the envelope indicate the picture was probably taken by the correspondent's father, Clarence Winfield Simonds.
The sign on the tree at the left edge of the picture indicates this was the Vance Villa (Rooming House) in a residential part of town. (Vance Villa is listed in the 1914 City Director of Mineral Wells at 811 N. College, which is now NW 5th Avenue.)
Note the hoop held by the child on the left, while the boy on the right appears to be holding a unicycle. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29457/
- [A House in Mineral Wells]
Writing on the side of the negative reads: "Vance Villa, Jan. 10, 1919, Mineral Wells."
(The 1914 Mineral Wells City Directory lists Vance Villa at 811 N. College, which is now NW 5th Avenue. Mineral Wells actually did have a school in the 1890's, located at the corner of 5th Avenue and Hubbard Street.)
This picture is one of 17 (4"X4") negatives that were found in an envelope from Charles W. Simonds (Route 5, Box 43, Norman, Oklahoma, 73069) and addressed to A.F. Weaver Photography. It is postmarked "Aug. 4, 1975." Some telephone numbers and the remark: "Father - C.W. Simonds (Clarence Winfield)" also appeared on the envelope. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20377/
- [Downtown Mineral Wells, Texas : January 11, 1919]
Downtown Mineral Wells, Texas is shown here, as taken on January 11, 1919. The first Crazy Hotel is the prominent building in the right middle portion of the picture. The first Roman Catholic Church can be seen on the side of West Mountain in the upper middle of the picture and the old High School, the "Little Rock School", and the West Ward School are at the base of West Mountain in the far upper left part of the picture. The Dr. A.W. Thompson home is at the foot of East Mountain in the lower middle foreground of the picture. The wide street in the left middle of the picture is NW 2nd Street, looking west. The First Presbyterian Church is the domed building on the right of 2nd Street at NW 4th Avenue, near the far end of NW 2nd Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29459/
- Famous Well
This picture is taken from a series of 17 (4X4) negatives that were enclosed in an envelope from Charles W. Simonds (Route 5, Box 43, Norman, Oklahoma: 73069), postmarked Aug. 4, 1975, and addressed to A.F. Weaver Photography. The photographs were taken January 11, 1919. Also written on the envelope were some telephone numbers and the following: "Father - C.W. Simonds (Clarence Winfield)."
The rock building housing the original well was located on Lake Pinto, across West Mountain from the City of Mineral Wells. Mineral water was piped to the Famous drinking pavilion. The Famous Water Company is still  in operation at 215 NW 6th Street, vending "crazy" mineral water, deep-well water, and drinking water filtered by reverse-osmosis. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20381/
- [A View of Mineral Wells]
A panoramic view of Mineral Wells taken from Southwest Mountain looking SE. This picture was sent to A.F. Weaver, in 1975, from Charles Windell Simonds of Norman, Oklahoma, with a note indicating they were taken by his father (Clarence Winfield Simonds) on January 11,1919. The ice plant is visible in the right center of this picture, but other landmarks have not been identified. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29458/
- [An Aerial View of Mineral Wells]
A panoramic view of Mineral Wells looking southwest from East Mountain, Poston's Dry Goods store may be seen in the middle left of the picture, and the Old High School, Rock Schoolhouse, and West Ward School are visible next to West Mountain skyline in the upper right corner of the picture. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20305/
- The Crazy Well Water Company
This picture shows a photograph of two pages from a water-bottle-shaped brochure about Mineral Wells. The "Appendix" referred to on the verso folio refers to a series of burlesques printed on previous--unseen--pages. The recto folio describes the four types of the water and the various ailments that they are expected to cure. The brochure notes that number four water is purgative, and should be used in moderation, but at frequent intervals. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth60936/
- [The First Crazy Hotel and Crazy Flats]
A view of the Crazy Flats and first Crazy Hotel, as seen from East Mountain. Crazy Flats, at the right middle of the picture, was the second Crazy Drinking Pavilion--also with Rooms for Rent--was built in 1909. One feature of the Flats was "Peacock Alley", where the men gathered on Sundays to watch the ladies parade and show off the latest fashions in female gear.
The first Crazy Hotel is to the left rear of the Flats; the first section of the Hotel, on the right, was built in 1912, and the second section, on the left, to its left, was built in 1914 and connected to the first with a common lobby.
The Crazy Bath house adjoined Crazy Flats on the left, and a drugstore was located in the left corner of the Bath house building. A fire, starting in the drugstore on March 15, 1925, burned the entire block, sparing only the small building housing the first Crazy Pavilion (the right rear of the Flats.) The current (second) Crazy Hotel opened in 1927, and replaced all of the former businesses in this block. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29449/
- In The Good Old Days
This picture is accompanied by a newspaper article that chronicles the activities of a group of men repairing the public highway between Mineral Wells and Palo Pinto in the year 1920--before the Texas Highway Department was created.
Pictured are the following people: Harold Guinn on left with spade. J. L. Miller on truck fender. Standing, left to right: Red Taylor, George Oliver, Johnnie Liveley; Irl Preston and W. T. Tygrett shaking hands, with Joe Dillon standing between them. Also standing in the background are Clarence Wewerkka, W. C. Caldwell, W. I. Smith, and Lawrence Davis. The photograph is listed as courtesy of W. T. Tygrett. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16289/
- [Milling's Sanitarium and Water Well ]
The gazebo-like structure shown in the picture protects a water pump in front of the Milling Sanitarium. The sanitarium was built about 1929 on what was then the 2500 block of SE Sixth Avenue. It later became the Irvine Sanitarium. The Veterans of Foreign Wars (Post 2399) occupies the building as of 2010. The fate of the structure shown here is unknown. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth60948/
- [The Mineral Wells Golf Country Club and Lake]
Please note the men in golf attire standing on bank, one of whom is holding a bag of golf clubs. Knee-length knickers with decorated socks were typical golf wear in the Roaring Twenties. Others are lounging around on the bank between club house and lake on a typical lazy Sunday afternoon. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16269/
- The New Suspension Bridge at Lover's Retreat, Near Mineral Wells, Texas
A suspension bridge for pedestrian traffic across Eagle Creek at Lover's Retreat is shown here, from what must be a picture post-card. Formerly a public park, and now on private property, it was located four miles west of Palo Pinto on the old Bankhead Highway (now U.S. Highway 180). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16251/
- [R.L. Polk & Co.'s Mineral Wells City Directory, 1920]
The city directory for Mineral Wells, 1920, embraces a complete alphabetical list of business firms and private citizens; a directory of city and county officials, churches, public and private schools, banks, asylums, hospitals, commercial bodies, secret societies, street and avenue guide, etc. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20206/
- Two Men at Inspiration Point
Two men are here seen sitting on a bench at Inspiration Point. The photograph is believed to have been taken about the year 1920. The bluffs above the Brazos River are visible in the background. The man at the far left has been identified as Bealer Beard, at one time an owner of a construction company in Mineral wells. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16226/
- [A View of Mineral Wells From South Mountain]
A view of Mineral Wells, looking north from South Mountain, taken after 1929, is pictured here. The front of the old Mineral Wells High School is visible in the lower left corner. The Crazy Hotel is just to the right of center.
This picture comes from one of 17 (4X4) negatives that were found in an envelope from Charles W. Simonds (Route 5, Box 43, Norman, Oklahoma, 73069), addressed to A.F. Weaver Photography and postmarked Aug. 4, 1975. Also on the envelope were some telephone numbers and the remark "Father - C.W. Simonds (Clarence Winfield)." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20384/
- We lost our job at Mineral Wells, Texas
This is a picture that was found in Mr. Weaver's collection, and captioned "We lost our job at Mineral Wells, Texas." This type of advertising was used by most of the drinking pavilions in this popular health resort to tout the beneficial effects of Mineral Wells' waters. There were numerous testimonials attesting the truth of such claims.
When the Food and Drug Administration began to enforce the nation's drug laws vigorously in the mid- 1930's, however, there were no rigorous scientific test data to document such claims or to warn of possible side effects that taking the mineral water might bring about. Consequently, this sort of advertising was banned after the 1930's. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38081/
- A Brief History or a Statement of Facts of Mineral Wells, Texas
A booklet about the history of Mineral Wells, Texas, from 1881 to 1921. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth21923/
- [The Mineral Wells High School Concert Band]
This picture, showing the concert band of the Mineral Wells High School Marching Band (standing on the steps of the school) was taken around 1922. James Walker Calvert is on the top row at the far right. Mr. Brunswick, the bandleader, is on the front row at the far left. Ellis White is the trombone player on the left. See also "Mineral Wells High School Marching Band." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16361/
- Bank of Mineral Wells
This picture is an undated photograph that appears to have been published in the Mineral Wells Index. It also appears on page 148 of A.F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells." The caption reads, "Palo Pinto County Boys' and Girls' Poultry Clubs and the Junior Rotary Band received pure-bred eggs distributed free by the Bank of Mineral Wells. Note the bank has had an addition to its south side."
The caption on an earlier picture of the bank states, "D. M. Howard and R. B. Preston opened the first bank in the City, The Bank of Mineral Wells, located at 102 SE 1st Avenue."
In a companion picture on p. 148, "TIME WAS ... ", the caption reads,"The Bank of Mineral Wells went broke in 1924. The building was then used by Ball Drug and Massengale's Appliances. The building was torn down to make room for parking in the downtown area."
(The City Directory of 1924 lists the bank's location at 102 SE 1st. Avenue. There is no listing of it in the 1927 City Directory.) texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20440/
- D.W. Griffith Presents "The Birth of a Nation"
This photograph illustrates a souvenir program from the silent motion picture, "The Birth of a Nation, the Most Stupendous and Fascinating Motion Picture Drama Created in the United States. Founded on Thomas Dixon's story 'The Clansman' "
The motion picture presents an early 20th-century Southern view of Reconstruction. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth21924/
- [The Burning of the First Crazy Hotel]
The first Crazy Hotel burned in 1925. This photograph shows the fire as it is burning out, and only a few pieces of the structure still stand. The sign seen in the left part of the photo says "Crazy Drug Co." which was the pharmacy inside the hotel. The hotel was rebuilt and claims to be fire proof. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39218/
- The Burro, Yearbook of Mineral Wells High School, 1925
Yearbook for Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas includes photos of and information about the school, student body, teachers, and organizations. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth299184/
- [The Convention Hall, Built in 1925]
This photograph shows the Convention Hall, which was built in 1925 to accommodate the 1925 West Texas Chamber of Commerce Convention. The lack of signage on the front of the building--along with copious bunting--suggests that the photograph was taken at its dedication. The picture is featured in "Time There Once was", page 164. The Convention Hall was demolished in 1976. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39236/
- [The Crazy Flats Fire]
A note on back of photograph states,"Crazy Water flats fire 1925, March 15th. Picture taken from NE Corner on Oak". Thelma Hart's name appears on back of the picture, which was possibly taken by her husband, as his name, Lawrence, also appears. The picture is included in A. F. Weaver's book, "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells," on page 18. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29445/
- First Car of Shale
"First car of shale" is the legend printed on the original photograph. The car bears the marking "H.M.X. 20" on the rear. The picture probably commemorates the opening of Mineral Wells' fledgling brick manufacturing industry, as the appearance of a gentleman wearing a tie and wielding a shovel suggests a celebration of sorts. His attire shown is typical of summertime 1930's dress.
The photograph bears the legend that it was restored by A.F. Weaver. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20363/
- [The Hexagon Hotel]
A picture of the Hexagon Hotel. See also "Hexagon Hotel [with history]."
This picture was taken in 1925. Note the construction of the Convention Hall beside the Hexagon Hotel on the right. The Convention Hall was built in 1925. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20479/
- [Photograph of the First Mineral Wells Golf Country Club]
Photograph of the first clubhouse of The Mineral Wells Golf and Country Club is shown here. This picture comes from Knights of Pythias Album, 1925. The swimming area and lifeguard station can be seen at the far left of the picture. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20348/
- [The Burning of the Crazy Flats]
The "Crazy Flats" drinking pavilion, with rooms for rent, replaced a two-story Crazy Water drinking pavilion in 1909. The first Crazy Hotel was built in 1912, and an annex was added to it in 1914. A fire in the Drug Store of the "Crazy Flats" (SE corner of the Crazy Flats building) on March 15, 1925, destroyed the entire Crazy block. The "New", completely rebuilt, Crazy Hotel was enlarged to cover the entire block. It opened in 1927, and replaced all of the burned buildings. The new building was promoted as fireproof, since it was built with solid cement walls and ceilings. The former "new Crazy Hotel" is now a Retirement Home, after a colorful past that included; a daily radio show originating in its Lobby and broadcast nationally over TQN (the Texas Quality Network), the Great Depression of the 'thirties, World War II, the Korean "Police Action", and The Viet Nam War.
(Compliance with current Building Codes applying to residential rental property, is creating some problems for the present owners of the 80+ year-old structure.) texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth25068/
- [The Crazy Hotel after the Fire of 1925]
A handwritten note on the back of the photograph identifies the picture as "Crazy Hotel southside after fire of March 15, 1925." Shown is the skeleton of the first Crazy Hotel, after a fire destroyed the entire Crazy "complex."
The original hotel complex consisted of the two adjoined hotel sections with a common lobby, the Crazy Flats (a drinking pavilion with rooms for rent), a Bath House, and a drugstore (in which the fire started).
The second Crazy Hotel opened two years later, in 1927. It covers the entire city block formerly occupied by the complex which it replaced. The famous second Crazy Hotel of the booming 1930's and 1940's is now  a retirement hotel, that was forcibly closed down in 2010. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29446/
- [A Panoramic View of Mineral Wells, 1925]
A picture taken in 1925, two months after the Crazy burned. Please note no Crazy Hotel in this picture, but the Crazy Well building in the street did not perish in the flames.
Also,please note, across the city on West Mountain, the two buildings owned by the Cavalry, where their horses were kept. The old High School, the "Little Rock School", and the West Ward School are visible in the upper left of the picture at the south end of West Mountain. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29456/
- The Burro, Yearbook of Mineral Wells High School, 1926
Yearbook for Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas includes photos of and information about the school, student body, teachers, and organizations. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth299185/
- The Tattler (Mineral Wells, Tex.), Vol. 13, No. 9, Ed. 1 Thursday, February 18, 1926
Student newspaper from Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas that includes local and school news along with advertising. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth601194/
- The Tattler (Mineral Wells, Tex.), Vol. 13, No. 11, Ed. 1 Wednesday, March 17, 1926
Student newspaper from Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas that includes local and school news along with advertising. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth601195/
- The Tattler (Mineral Wells, Tex.), Vol. 13, No. 13, Ed. 1 Wednesday, April 14, 1926
Student newspaper from Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas that includes local and school news along with advertising. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth601239/
- The Tattler (Mineral Wells, Tex.), Vol. 13, No. 14, Ed. 1 Wednesday, April 21, 1926
Student newspaper from Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas that includes local and school news along with advertising. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth601225/
- The Tattler (Mineral Wells, Tex.), Vol. 14, No. 1, Ed. 1 Monday, September 13, 1926
Student newspaper from Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas that includes local and school news along with advertising. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth601209/
- The Tattler (Mineral Wells, Tex.), Vol. 14, No. 2, Ed. 1 Friday, September 24, 1926
Student newspaper from Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas that includes local and school news along with advertising. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth601235/
- The Tattler (Mineral Wells, Tex.), Vol. 14, No. 3, Ed. 1 Friday, October 8, 1926
Student newspaper from Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas that includes local and school news along with advertising. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth601260/
- The Tattler (Mineral Wells, Tex.), Vol. 14, No. 6, Ed. 1 Friday, November 19, 1926
Student newspaper from Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas that includes local and school news along with advertising. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth601191/
- The Tattler (Mineral Wells, Tex.), Vol. 14, No. 7, Ed. 1 Friday, December 3, 1926
Student newspaper from Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas that includes local and school news along with advertising. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth601266/
- [The City Nestled Among the Hills]
This picture was taken from East Mountain, from a site above and left (south) of the former Chautauqua (1905-1912.) Note the Crazy Water Hotel at the left edge of the picture (which opened in 1927 on the corner of North Oak and NW 3rd Streets.)
Note also the Nazareth Hospital built by the Crazy Corporation, behind and right of the Crazy. The back of the "WELCOME" (1921 vintage) sign on the south end of this mountain and facing south, is at the immediate middle foreground. This sign was the world's largest non-commercial electric lighted sign when it was donated to the city in 1922 following a Rotary Club of Texas convention. The sign is reputed to be the inspiration for the more publicized "HOLLYWOOD" sign in Los Angeles, California. It is much larger than the photograph suggests.
Lesser known sites in the picture are The Hawthorn Drinking Pavilion one block north (right) of Nazareth Hospital and the Crazy Theater, across Oak Avenue, at the right and front of the Crazy. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16217/
- Crazy Hotel: Formal Opening Menu
This photograph shows a SOUVENIR MENU on the occasion of the formal opening of the Crazy Hotel on March 11, 1927. The hotel, now  a retirement hotel, is still located on the corner of N. Oak Avenue and NW 3rd Street, Mineral Wells, Texas. It was closed as a retirement hotel, under a considerable cloud, in 2012. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38088/
- [Excavation for the Baker]
Excavation work and clearing of the two blocks in downtown Mineral Wells for the Baker Hotel is shown here. In the background is the Dr. Thompson home, the old First Methodist church and parsonage. The parsonage was moved to the corner of SE 3rd Street & SE 5th Avenue.
The filling station in the foreground was located where Murray's Grill parking lot once was [ca. 1950]. The Piedmont Hotel was across the street (NE 1st Avenue.) where the Baker Hotel garage building is now located.
The work has just begun clearing the lots. The tower on top of East Mountain is barely visible above the welcome sign that was erected there in 1925. This photograph comes from the Young collection. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39166/
- [A Street Scene, Taken About the 1930's]
This photograph illustrates the "New" Crazy Hotel on North Oak Avenue, which opened in 1927 after the earlier hotel burned March 15, 1925. Many automobiles typical of the period can be seen on the street. Note the following businesses: The Tom Moore Drug Company, a barber shop, a cafe, Young's Studio, a bath house, and the Crazy Drug. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20448/
- The Tattler (Mineral Wells, Tex.), Vol. 14, No. 10, Ed. 1 Friday, February 18, 1927
Student newspaper from Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas that includes local and school news along with advertising. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth601231/
- The Tattler (Mineral Wells, Tex.), Vol. 14, No. 11, Ed. 1 Friday, March 4, 1927
Student newspaper from Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas that includes local and school news along with advertising. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth601215/
- The Tattler (Mineral Wells, Tex.), Vol. 14, No. 12, Ed. 1 Friday, March 18, 1927
Student newspaper from Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas that includes local and school news along with advertising. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth601216/