You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 County: Palo Pinto County, TX
North Oak U. S. O.

North Oak U. S. O.

Date: August 7, 2008
Creator: unknown
Description: This building was erected during World War II as a USO. Many Hollywood stars performed there for the troops during the war. It is now [2009] the North Oak Community Center.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
NW 6th Street-1906

NW 6th Street-1906

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A legend on the photograph announces: "NW 6th Street: 1906." It shows two children on donkeys and a horse and wagon. The view is west from Welcome Mountain (now East Mountain.) It appears that the old McCutcheon home (now [2008] the Gil Hull home) can be seen on the right at 612 NW 6th Street.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Oak Street, Mineral Wells, Texas

Oak Street, Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: August 8, 2006
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture purports to show North Oak Avenue,(the photograph reads "Oak Street")of Mineral Wells, Texas,in the 100 block--looking north. The Mineral Wells Electric Railway operated from 1907 to 1913, and streets were paved in 1914. Visible are: A horse-drawn hack with passengers, a streetcar, automobiles, numerous people on sidewalks, and businesses along the street. The streetcar (Apparently working on air: The electric line required to power it is nowhere in sight)is passing the Poston Dry Goods store on its right. The Hexagon Hotel (opened December 1897)is possibly visible in the distance. A steeple is barely visible on the skyline at the left (west) side of the street.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Oaks

The Oaks

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: None
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Oaks

The Oaks

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The Oaks, at NW 3rd Avenue and 3rd Street, burned in 1908 along with the Presbyterian Church. The church steeple can be seen at the left. A later view of the building (with concrete sidewalks) is found on page 103 of A. F. Weaver's 1974 book, "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells", First Edition.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 [Oden's Drive Inn]

[Oden's Drive Inn]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This restaurant and grocery store was once located at 3403 Highway 280 east in Mineral Wells. It is no longer [2012] in existence. The photograph shows 1940's and 1950's cars parked in front. The Odens resided above the business.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 The [Old] City Hall

The [Old] City Hall

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture shows the old Mineral Wells City Hall at 202 N. Oak Avenue. Police, who were on foot, were summoned to the police station by a red light in the dome of the Baker Hotel before the two-way radio came into use. The City Hall was later located at 215 [Weaver's book, "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells", on page 152, says 211] S.W. 1st Avenue with Fire and Police station at 215 [the book says 212] S. Oak--east of the City Hall.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Old Home in Mineral Wells]

[An Old Home in Mineral Wells]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: An old home, located in Mineral Wells, Texas, on 404 SW 3rd Street is shown here. The Baker Hotel faintly visible in the background, looking about half-way up the lowermost branch of the tree in front of the house, and looking towards the northeast.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Old Map of Mineral Wells]

[An Old Map of Mineral Wells]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: An early cadastral map of Mineral Wells with the original street names, it also shows the unusual topography of the surrounding mountains. The streets were paved in 1914, and the street names were changed January 1,1920.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The "Old" Post Office]

[The "Old" Post Office]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: None
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library