You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 County: Palo Pinto County, TX
The Welcome Sign on East Mountain, Mineral Wells, Texas

The Welcome Sign on East Mountain, Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture is taken from a postcard claiming that the "Welcome" sign on East Mountain is "reputed to be the largest non-commercial electric sign in U.S." It has been claimed that the "Hollywood" sign was inspired by the "Welcome" sign, but this is likely a folk legend. (The preceding picture is a black and white original of this tinted picture. A more complete description may be found there.)
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Wells Hotel]

[The Wells Hotel]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a picture of the Wells Hotel, in the W. E. Mayes Building, once located on the northwest corner of NW 1st Avenue and NW 3rd Street. This photograph appears on page 105 of the "Time Was", Second Edition. Please note the complete lack of automobiles in the picture. Although it is not apparent from the photograph, the street is not likely to have been paved. The picture was most likely taken in the early years of the twentieth century.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The West Texas Chamber of Commerce Parade, 1925]

[The West Texas Chamber of Commerce Parade, 1925]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The West Texas Chamber of Commerce Parade, moving west on NE 2nd Street in Mineral Wells is shown here. The parade was staged to welcome the 1925 Convention. Businesses include R. O. Norman and Company, Dry Cleaners; the Whatley-Maddox Motor Co (Ford and Lincoln); the Mineral Wells Sanitarium; and the United States Post Office.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The West Ward School]

[The West Ward School]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Exterior of the West Ward School in Mineral Wells, TX.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The West Ward School, East (Front) View ]

[The West Ward School, East (Front) View ]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The West Ward School, Mineral Wells' second public School, was built in 1902. It was located north of the old Rock School at 205 NW 5th Avenue. It served as both a High School and Elementary school until the East Ward School was built in 1906, and High School classes were moved there. The West Ward School was renamed the Houston Elementary School when the Mineral Wells High School was built in 1915. The building was torn down after a new Houston Elementary School was built in 1930.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Where the "Doodle Bug" Crossed the "Dinky Car" Tracks]

[Where the "Doodle Bug" Crossed the "Dinky Car" Tracks]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Illustrated here is the intersection of the "Doodle Bug" and "Dinky Car" tracks at the southwest corner of the Gibson Well property, NW 6th Street and NW 2nd Avenue. There were two "Doodle Bug" gasoline-powered motor coaches. The first one ran from Mineral Wells to Graford on the Weatherford, Mineral Wells and Northwestern Railroad (WMWNW) tracks. It was joined later by a second similar coach that ran from Mineral Wells to Seymour on the Gulf Texas and Western (GT&W) line. Two Dinky Cars, gasoline-powered motor cars on the Lakewood Scenic Railway, made round trips each quarter hour from the Mineral Wells depot to Lake Pinto. The Dinky cars, Esther and Suzie, were named after (banker and co-owner) Cicero Smith's daughters. The cars were joined in 1908 by a larger car--the Ben Hur. In the photograph the narrow-gauge dinky tracks running east-west along 6th Street crossing the wider standard-gauge railroad tracks running north-south (left to right in the picture.) The Gibson Well park and drinking pavilion are also shown in the picture.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Will Rogers at the Baker Hotel]

[Will Rogers at the Baker Hotel]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: None
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Window  in the "Texas Carlsbad Water"]

[A Window in the "Texas Carlsbad Water"]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph illustrates one of the painted-glass windows that was installed around 1915 at the Texas Carlsbad Water. It shows a bottle of "#3", extolling its efficacy against "Stomach and Liver Disorders. The Texas Carlsbad Water no longer [in 2012] exists. The picture occurs in A.F. Weaver's "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells...." on page 63.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Women in a Truck]

[Women in a Truck]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: An unknown group of six women is shown posing on a truck. The type of truck is also not known. There are two photographs of this group of women with not a clue concerning who they were. See also, the photograph "Five Women on Bridge." The Bimini Bath House is in the background.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Women's Basketball Game at Elmhurst Park]

[A Women's Basketball Game at Elmhurst Park]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Games at Elmhurst Park in 1910 included women's basketball. The players here are wearing the typical basketball uniforms of "genteel ladies" of the day. Girls and ladies played on half of a normal basketball court with both teams shooting at the same basket. The game was restarted with a "jump ball" after each goal or foul (read: "Rule infraction").
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library