You limited your search to:
Boyce Ditto Public Library
- [Sam Whatley Presenting Check to Slogan Contest Winner]
Sam Whatley (dressed in a Cadillac uniform), the Service Manager for the Young Motor Company (a local Cadillac dealership), presents a check to Mr. and Mrs. Evans Holland, winners of a slogan contest. The winning slogan was "Cadillac every time for better motor service."
The microphone above them is labeled as belonging to station KORC, which opened December 5, 1946. It changed its name to KJSA in 1983, when the station was sold to Jerry Snyder.
A colophon on the lower right identifies "SW Photo" as the photographer.
(The picture occurs on page 185 of TIME WAS, second edition.) texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16262/
- [The Sangcura-Sprudel Well Building Fire]
The original Sangcura Sprudel Company was located at 800 NW 2nd Avenue. The original building was built by George McAtee. It was sold to Bert Gibson of Gibson Wells Water Company in 1908, and later passed into the possession of the Crazy Well Water Company.
It maintained a large pavilion, dance hall and skating rink for several seasons. It--evidently just the house portion--was later moved to 314 N.W. 5th Street. The porches were enclosed, and it was converted into a rooming house.
The building burned on December 5, 1973, five minutes before the annual Christmas Parade in Mineral Wells. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20334/
The Mineral Wells Sanitarium was located at 315 NW 1st Avenue. , It was listed in 1907 as being leased by Doctors J.M. Massie, and R. G. Beaswell. It was later owned and operated by B.H. Milling before he built the Milling Sanitarium. The building was torn down and replaced by Willimann's Pharmacy. Currently  the Woodsmen of the World club resides at this location. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth60880/
- [The Second Post Office]
This picture illustrates the building that housed the second Post Office in Mineral Wells. It was located at 2310 SE 1st Avenue. Note the men: Four of them are in shirt-sleeves, and two are properly dressed (for the era) in jackets. None exhibit the "Cowboy" image of the nineteenth century, so popular in the late twentieth century. Note also the complete lack of automobiles. The picture appears to have been taken possibly in the 1890's (?) It is featured in "Time was in Mineral Wells" on p. 149. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39211/
- Service Club, Camp Wolters, Texas
An illustration of the Service Club at Camp Wolters, which was located just outside Mineral Wells, Texas is shown here. Once the largest Infantry Replacement Training Center during World War II, Camp [later Fort] Wolters was re-opened during the Korean Conflict, and again during the Vietnam War.
This portrait of the service club is probably a photograph taken from an old picture postcard. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20463/
- Site of the New Frost Building
Construction of Frost Building in Mineral Wells, Texas. A legend on the bottom reads: "Photograph by McClure." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16278/
- [The Sllew La Renim Club]
The "Sllew La Remin" ("Mineral Wells", spelled backwards) Club formed in 1912. Pictured are: Front Row: Frances Young Mullman; Ida M. Lindon Myers; Eula Strain Harlacker; Mrs. Fred Burman (Sponsor); Mae Cowling; Second Row: Mae Byrd Harris; Mary Lee Hayes Harbinson; Cleo Frost Bowman; Mae Belle Smith; Ruby Johnson Green; Ernestine Pollard; Emma Beetham Brandt; Upper Row: [---] Brown; Frances Hayes; Adelle Watson; Mary Sorley. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39256/
- [Some Gentlemen in Front of the Oxford Hotel]
Seated in front of the Oxford Hotel, from left to right, are: R.B. Preston, Mr. Dick from Millsap, and Stith Edmondson. (Mr. Edmondson was an early sheriff of Palo Pinto County.) Dr. J. H. McCracken can be seen in the window.
The First State Bank and Trust Company was located in the corner of this building, later called the Firstron Building. A sign on the building in the left corner states "$15.00 Fine for Spitting on Sidewalk".
This picture appears on page 103 of A.F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells..." second edition. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20298/
- Souvenir Views of Mineral Wells, Texas
Shown here is a bottle-shaped souvenir of Mineral Wells. It consists of fourteen folios, showing various views of the attractions found in Mineral Wells. The clothing of the people photographed suggests a date of the early twentieth century. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39258/
- [Souvenir Views of Mineral Wells, Texas]
A pamphlet, shaped like a water bottle, with illustrations of the Mineral Wells area. Some pictures include unidentified visitors to the area that are enjoying the outdoor natural beauty. The statement "Patent and Trademark applied for by the Yeager Drug Company" is located on the lower left-hand portion of the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16341/
- [A Sporting Event]
A group of people watching a pole-vaulting event is shown here. A vaulter goes over a crossbar set at approximately 10 feet in this picture.
The covered area in the background is the Dance Pavilion at Elmhurst Park (also the site of the Palo Pinto County Fair at this early date).
Two ladies, with their backs to the camera, at the rear of the crowd wear ladies' basketball uniforms of the day. The horse and buggy were a standard mode of transportation at this time--about 1910. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16304/
- St. Nicholas Hotel
A note with the picture states: The original picture was re-done and re-named the "Delaware Hotel."
This picture appears on page 104 in "Time Was..." The building was located at 316 N. Oak Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas. It was eventually destroyed by fire. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16182/
- The Stage in the Casino [Elmhurst Parkl]
This picture illustrates the stage in the casino at Elmhurst Park. Several signs above the stage advertise the (Cafe) Royal, furniture, and the Palace Bar. Two unidentified women and one man stand on the stage. It appears on page 187 of A.F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells", second edition, 1988. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20350/
- Stamps & Phillipt [sic] Demonstrating Their Automobile
Stamps and Phillips, inventors, demonstrating their Storm Alarm invention. Note that "Phillips" is spelled with one "l" and a "t" on the hand-written caption. The car is sitting in front of the second Carlsbad drinking pavilion on W. Watts Street (now NW 4th Street.) The photograph was taken during the 1920's. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20413/
- [The Star House]
The Star House was built about 1900, and owned by Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Ramsey. This 34-room hotel, situated at 315 Coke Street,(since re-named NW 2nd Street), was one of Mineral Wells' early hotels.
The Star House also operated the Star Well, located 2 blocks east of the hotel on Mesquite Street (now NE 2nd Avenue), north of the current Baker Hotel. The Star House was destroyed by fire. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20336/
- [The Star House]
No Description texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth60888/
- Star House
The Star House was built about 1900,and owned by Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Ramsey. This 34-room hotel was situated at 315 Coke Street. A colophon at the bottom of the picture, barely legible, reads: "1903 Ramsey House Mineral Wells, Texas John Ramsey Ima Ramsey." This picture differs from the last one only insofar as the porch seems to have been extended across the front of the building.
This photograph appears on page 105 of "Time Was in Mineral Wells", Second Edition. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20294/
- The Star Well Water Company
The Star Well Water Company was located in the 200 block of NE 1st Avenue (then called "Mesquite Street"). A. F. Weaver remarks on page 53 of "Time Was...," that "Selling mineral water and establishing bath houses was [sic] big business for 'The Nations Greatest Health Resort'." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth24988/
- Strange Structure [article]
An article written by Maid J. Neal, in an unknown publication, describes in detail the construction and design of the Hexagon Hotel, which was built in 1895-1897 by D. G. Galbraith. See also "Hexagon Hotel" [with history] for further details. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20478/
- [The Street Car to Elmhurst Park]
Mineral Wells residents and visitors could ride a streetcar (until 1913, when it was discontinued) out of town to Elmhurst Park. The streetcar in the picture had come to the park by way of North Oak Street. After a ride from town, the passengers could walk across the swinging bridge which spanned Pollard Creek to enter Elmhurst Park.
This photograph is to be found on page 86 of "Time Was..." (Second Edition), by A. F. Weaver. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20280/
- Street Parade / West Texas C. of C. Convention / Mineral Wells 1925
A parade on North Oak Avenue in Mineral Wells, Texas is the subject of this picture. Businesses partaking of it include Poston Dry Goods, a bath house, the Hexagon Hotel, Palace Drugs, American Cafe, and the Caldwell Hotel. American flags, Texas flags, and various banners are hanging from the buildings.
The parade is moving south (while the picture is looking north) on N. Oak Avenue, at its intersection with SE 1st Street It was held during the West Texas Chamber of Commerce Convention of 1925.
The photograph bears the colophon of the Basil Clemens Photo Company of Breckenridge, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16301/
- [ A Street Scene]
This picture comes from one of 17 (4X4) negatives that were found in an envelope from Charles W. Simonds (Route 5, Box 43, Norman, Oklahoma, 73069), postmarked Aug. 4, 1975, and addressed to A.F. Weaver Photography. Also on the envelope, are some telephone numbers and "Father - C.W. Simonds (Clarence Winfield.)
The scene is believed to show some of the large homes on the east slope of West Mountain, in the 600 block of NW 6th Street, taken at about the time of their construction. The home in the foreground appears to be the site of the former Episcopal Parsonage (the church adjoins the parsonage to the north (left of the picture). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20374/
- [A Street Scene From the Early 20th Century]
A picture of North Oak Street, taken in the early 20th century is shown here. Cars are present on the street,(note the curb) which was paved in 1914. An electrical power line, in the left middle of the photograph, burned March 15, 1925. The Hexagon Hotel may be seen obscurely at the edge of the business district at the lower far right of the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20458/
- [A String and Drum Band]
This picture shows 18 people, 2 of whom appear to be adults. Visible are a snare drum, bass drum, cymbals, triangle, violins, lutes, bass viol and viola--and an anvil. The background appears to be painted.
Further information about this band is presently [2012 ]lacking. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39240/
- [The Suspension Bridge over Brazos River (2)]
A view of suspension bridge being built over the Brazos river near the town of Brazos, in Palo Pinto county. The view is looking west. An inscription on the mounting of the photograph reads: "A Photographic Souvenir from Mineral Wells, the Great Health and Pleasure Resort of Texas." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20232/
- [The Suspension Bridge Over the Brazos River (1)]
Shown here is a view of suspension bridge being built over the Brazos River near the town of Brazos, in Palo Pinto County. Printed in the corner of the mount is "A Photographic Souvenir from Mineral Wells, the Great Health and Pleasure Resort of Texas." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20233/
- [The Suspension Bridge Over the Brazos River (3)]
A suspension bridge is shown, being built over the Brazos river near the town of Brazos, in Palo Pinto county. Three adults and a child in early twentieth-century clothes are obscurely visible in the lower left-center. The view is looking east. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20231/
- [Swimming at Lovers Retreat]
Individuals are shown boating and swimming in Eagle Creek at Lovers Retreat, four miles west of Palo Pinto. The large swimming/fishing area of the creek is separated from the beautiful picnic area to the south of the creek (and to the right in the photograph), and also from a spectacular boulder field north of the creek. A suspension foot-bridge spanned Eagle Creek in this area.
This view is from the suspension bridge, looking east on Eagle Creek. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth25093/
- [A Tamale Vendor on Oak and Hubbard]
Fred Estrada "The Mineral Wells Hot Tamale Man," sold "The Best Tamales Anywhere", at 75 cents a dozen, at the corner of Hubbard Street and Oak Avenue for many years.
Automobiles, dating from the early-to-mid-twentieth century, and a U.S. Mailbox, may also be seen in the picture. The picture occurs on page 182 of "TIME WAS...", second edition. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16267/
- Teletype Sequence Reports
This booklet gives an overview of teletype sequence reports as they relate to aviation. According to the scope notes on the title page, it includes "A complete explanation of the symbols and abbreviations used in teletype sequence reports." The text also has self-evaluation questions printed throughout, with the answers printed on the last page. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth46575/
- Ten Years Younger
This picture displays the title page of a booklet about Mineral Wells, Texas health resorts, and how they could make people feel ten years younger. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth21921/
- Terminal and Area Forecasts
This booklet gives an overview of terminal and area forecasts as they relate to aviation. According to the scope notes on the title page, it includes an "Explanation of the information provided on terminal and area forecasts; to include valid time, forecast weather, and hazards to flight." The text also has self-evaluation questions printed throughout, with the answers printed on the last page. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth46568/
- Texas & Pacific [Bus]
This is a photograph of the bus that conveyed passengers that got off the Texas & Pacific's "Sunshine Special" in Millsap to their destination in Mineral Werlls. This picture was taken in 1940.
Information about this picture is taken from Arthur Weaver's book "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells", page 96. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20434/
- Texas Trade Review
An early street scene showing buildings and a horse-drawn wagon. Written in lower left corner is "Texas Trade Review." The sign over the sidewalk reads "D.M. Howard." There were several D.M. Howard stores (see page 122 in "Time Was...", second edition). This scene was probably on Mesquite Street in the 100 block. It is undated, but the unpaved road, and the horse-drawn wagon, suggest the latter part of the nineteenth century. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20303/
- The Thatch
No Description texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth60891/
- [Thelma Doss Interviews Claude Gardner]
Thelma Doss interviews the writer Claude Garner on KORC Radio. Looking on are (left) W. Lions; (center) Corcanges [founder & owner of the station]; (right)Orval Shore.
KORC radio broadcast first on December 5, 1946. Its name was changed to KJSA-AM in 1973.
This picture is featured in "Time Was in Mineral Wells" on page 185. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39195/
- Thompson-Cunningham Home
This picture is, apparently, a page distributed during a 1975 "Tour of Homes." It is best viewed and read when enlarged on the computer screen. The picture is a copy of the one used on page 141 of "Time Was..." by A. F. Weaver.
This house, at 215 NE 2nd Street, is Queen Anne style, spindle work subtype. It was restored in 2006 by Bill Pratt, Jr. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20267/
- [Three Old-Time Stores]
This picture appears to show three stores that stand cheek-by-jowl. A saddlery on the far left shares space with a furniture store--and an undertaker's establishment on the far right. The sign over the stores combines their functions in a way that would--under other circumstances--seem comical. The building itself was located at the corner of SE 1st, and South Oak Streets. A note on the photograph states that it was south of the MARTIN BUILDING. It was once the McBrayer-Armstrong Grocery, then later the Nash Hardware store. The location of Lattner eventually became the Buy-Rite store [116 South Oak Avenue, at the corner of SE 1st Street, until some time in the early 1980's].
The road is unpaved, there is no evidence of lighting--except for the lamp mounted on a post at the front of the building. The horse-drawn hearse (without its horse or plumes) suggests that although it was in front of the stores, it was not at the time in use. The picture, therefore, dates from the end of the 19th century--or the earliest 20th century. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth60925/
- [Three Women and a Man In Front of a Car]
Three unknown women and a man are shown standing in front of a large automobile. The man sports a celluloid collar & a straw hat. One lady carries a reticule, another an umbrella. Benches are visible behind them all. The date of the picture is also unknown, but the early 'twenties of the twentieth century is conjectured. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39247/
This booklet gives an overview of thunderstorms as they relate to aviation. According to the scope notes on the title page, it includes information about "Factors necessary for thunderstorm formation, structures, types and dangers of thunderstorms, [and] flight techniques." The text also has self-evaluation questions printed throughout, with the answers printed on the last page. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth46569/
- [The Thurber Smokestack and Related Buildings]
Thurber, Texas: A dirt road meets another road in distance; a smoke stack stands in distance; a red fire-house with white roof shows to left. A building, in the far left, now  houses the eponymous Smokestack Cafe. An historic plaque can be seen at the base of the smokestack, but it cannot be read from this photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38092/
- Time Was in Mineral Wells
The dust cover of "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells... 1975 Edition," considered the first pictorial history of the city, is illustrated here. The book is the product of A.F. Weaver, whose collection of photographs comprises the "A. F. Weaver Collection." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16294/
- [The Tour of Homes, 1976, (1)]
A home, apparently of Neo-classical style, located at 516 NE 3rd Avenue. This home was built in 1909 by J. S. Murphy. It was owned in 1976 by Kenneth and Mary Brewer.
This negative was part of a collection of photographs take by A. F. Weaver, and was found in an envelope marked "Homes, Tour of, 4/76" The following names were listed: "McFall, Brewer, Catrett, John Moore, Hull, McLaughlin." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20275/
- [The Tour of Homes, 1976, (2)]
This concrete-block house, of Queen Anne style, free classic subtype, parapeted gable, was built in 1904 by Robert Wylie, rancher, at 416 NW 6th Street.
This view is of the front, southern elevation of the house. There are 10 room and 8 fireplaces (all coal-burning), each one unique, and believed to have been imported. There are many stained- and leaded-glass windows.
The house was purchased in 1917 by the attorney of Mrs. Wylie, Judge W.H. Gross. The Gross family lived there until Mrs. Gross' death in 1952. Subsequent owners were the Luther Waddy family, and Mr. and Mrs. Jack Catrett in 2006.
Another view of it is in "Time Was...", by A. F. Weaver, on page 141.
This negative was part of a collection of photographs taken by A. F. Weaver, and was found in an envelope marked "Homes, Tour of, 4/76"
The following names were listed: "McFall, Brewer, Catrett, John Moore, Hull, McLaughlin." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20273/
- [The Tour of Homes, 1976, (4)]
This picture illustrates the McFall home, three miles west of the city of Mineral Wells. It was opened in 1927 as the Indian Creek Brazos Valley School. It saw use as a community center, and as a polling place from 1946 to 1970. The McFall's purchased it and converted it into a residence.
This negative was part of a collection of photos take by A. F. Weaver and was found in an envelope marked "Homes, Tour of, 4/76" The following names were listed: "McFall, Brewer, Catrett, John Moore, Hull, McLaughlin." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20277/
- [The Tour of Homes, 1976, (5)]
The Cunningham House (502 NW 23rd Street, Mineral Wells, Texas) was built in the 1930's. It is in Italian Renaissance style, and it shows evidence of later remodeling. It later became the home of E.B. Ritchie, Palo Pinto County Judge from 1904 to 1908.
Judge Ritchie was the first of four generations (son George M., grandson John P., great grandson Richard P.) of attorneys and civic Leaders in Palo Pinto County.
This negative was part of a collection of photographs take by A. F. Weaver and was found in an envelope marked "Homes, Tour of, 4/76" The following names were listed: "McFall, Brewer, Catrett, John Moore, Hull, McLaughlin." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20270/
- [A Train Depot]
George and Daurice O'Neil purchased the depot,and their son Don helped with the restoration. It is now  used as office rental. Elliot & Waldron Title Company and Gault, Attorney-at-Law, are leasing space there. The building is listed on the National registry in Washington [D.C.] and it sports a Texas Historical Marker.
It is featured in "Time Once Was in Mineral Wells" on page 190. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39171/
- [A Trolley Car of the] Mineral Wells Electric System
This picture shows the Mineral Wells Electric System Trolley Car Number 23. The Mineral Wells Electric System operated from 1902 (?) to 1913.
The picture appears to have been taken in the 1400 block of W. Hubbard Street, where the street car unloaded passengers for a short hike north to Lake Pinto. The street car reversed here, and traveled across town to Elmwood Cemetery--around NE 17th Avenue. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16266/
- [Trolley Tracks]
Tracks for electric trolley are shown here, in about 1906, being laid along Hubbard Street, at the corner of Oak Avenue and looking east.
The trolley system ran south to Elmhurst Park. The cross-line, being shown here, ran to Elmwood cemetery. Pollard creek was dammed up to form a lake around which a casino, dance pavilion, race track for horses, and playground were built. Elmhurst Park, as it was called, was abandoned when the trolley ceased operations . The panic of 1907 apparently brought ruination to Mr. Beardsley's other operations. Numerous lawsuits were brought against him, and his trustee, lawsuits which continued beyond his death in 1911. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20362/
- [Twenty Men and One Woman in Front of a Building]
Illustrated here are 20 unidentified men (some in uniform) and 1 unidentified woman standing in front of an unidentified building. Four of the men have removed their hats. The prevalence of uniforms suggests either the military or the police. The high boots worn by two of the men (and the hats that some of the have), the dress of the woman all suggest an early 1920's date for the photograph. The occasion that brought them to that place is not known. The photograph taken by Young's Studio of Mineral Wells, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39252/