Dear Portal friends: Do you enjoy having history at your fingertips? We’ve appreciated your support over the years, and need your help to keep history alive. Here’s the deal: we’ve received a Challenge Grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities. Now it’s time to keep our word and raise matching funds for the Cathy Nelson Hartman Portal to Texas History Endowment. If even half the people who use the Portal this month give $5, we’d meet our $1.5 million goal immediately! All donations are tax-deductible and support Texas history: yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

Not Now

  You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Sam Whatley & Mr. & Mrs.  Evans Holland ]

[Sam Whatley & Mr. & Mrs. Evans Holland ]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Sam Whatley (left), representing Young Motor Company, presents a check to Mr. & Mrs. Evans Holland (right) for the winning slogan, "Cadillac Every Time for Better Motor Service." Sam was service manager for the motor company, located at 316 East Hubbard Street. The picture is featured in "Time Once was in Mineral Wells" on page 185.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Sam Whatley Presenting Check to Slogan Contest Winner]

[Sam Whatley Presenting Check to Slogan Contest Winner]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Sam Whatley (dressed in a Cadillac uniform), the Service Manager for the Young Motor Company (a local Cadillac dealership), presents a check to Mr. and Mrs. Evans Holland, winners of a slogan contest. The winning slogan was "Cadillac every time for better motor service." The microphone above them is labeled as belonging to station KORC, which opened December 5, 1946. It changed its name to KJSA in 1983, when the station was sold to Jerry Snyder. A colophon on the lower right identifies "SW Photo" as the photographer. (The picture occurs on page 185 of TIME WAS, second edition.)
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Sangcura-Sprudel Well Building Fire]

[The Sangcura-Sprudel Well Building Fire]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The original Sangcura Sprudel Company was located at 800 NW 2nd Avenue. The original building was built by George McAtee. It was sold to Bert Gibson of Gibson Wells Water Company in 1908, and later passed into the possession of the Crazy Well Water Company. It maintained a large pavilion, dance hall and skating rink for several seasons. It--evidently just the house portion--was later moved to 314 N.W. 5th Street. The porches were enclosed, and it was converted into a rooming house. The building burned on December 5, 1973, five minutes before the annual Christmas Parade in Mineral Wells.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Sanitarium

Sanitarium

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The Mineral Wells Sanitarium was located at 315 NW 1st Avenue. , It was listed in 1907 as being leased by Doctors J.M. Massie, and R. G. Beaswell. It was later owned and operated by B.H. Milling before he built the Milling Sanitarium. The building was torn down and replaced by Willimann's Pharmacy. Currently [2010] the Woodsmen of the World club resides at this location.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Second Post Office]

[The Second Post Office]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture illustrates the building that housed the second Post Office in Mineral Wells. It was located at 2310 SE 1st Avenue. Note the men: Four of them are in shirt-sleeves, and two are properly dressed (for the era) in jackets. None exhibit the "Cowboy" image of the nineteenth century, so popular in the late twentieth century. Note also the complete lack of automobiles. The picture appears to have been taken possibly in the 1890's (?) It is featured in "Time was in Mineral Wells" on p. 149.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Service Club, Camp Wolters, Texas

Service Club, Camp Wolters, Texas

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: An illustration of the Service Club at Camp Wolters, which was located just outside Mineral Wells, Texas is shown here. Once the largest Infantry Replacement Training Center during World War II, Camp [later Fort] Wolters was re-opened during the Korean Conflict, and again during the Vietnam War. This portrait of the service club is probably a photograph taken from an old picture postcard.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Site of the New Frost Building

Site of the New Frost Building

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Construction of Frost Building in Mineral Wells, Texas. A legend on the bottom reads: "Photograph by McClure."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Sllew La Renim Club]

[The Sllew La Renim Club]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The "Sllew La Remin" ("Mineral Wells", spelled backwards) Club formed in 1912. Pictured are: Front Row: Frances Young Mullman; Ida M. Lindon Myers; Eula Strain Harlacker; Mrs. Fred Burman (Sponsor); Mae Cowling; Second Row: Mae Byrd Harris; Mary Lee Hayes Harbinson; Cleo Frost Bowman; Mae Belle Smith; Ruby Johnson Green; Ernestine Pollard; Emma Beetham Brandt; Upper Row: [---] Brown; Frances Hayes; Adelle Watson; Mary Sorley.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Some Gentlemen in Front of the Oxford Hotel]

[Some Gentlemen in Front of the Oxford Hotel]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Seated in front of the Oxford Hotel, from left to right, are: R.B. Preston, Mr. Dick from Millsap, and Stith Edmondson. (Mr. Edmondson was an early sheriff of Palo Pinto County.) Dr. J. H. McCracken can be seen in the window. The First State Bank and Trust Company was located in the corner of this building, later called the Firstron Building. A sign on the building in the left corner states "$15.00 Fine for Spitting on Sidewalk". This picture appears on page 103 of A.F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells..." second edition.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Souvenir Views of Mineral Wells, Texas

Souvenir Views of Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: unknown
Creator: Yeager Drug Co.
Description: Shown here is a bottle-shaped souvenir of Mineral Wells. It consists of fourteen folios, showing various views of the attractions found in Mineral Wells. The clothing of the people photographed suggests a date of the early twentieth century.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Beta Preview