You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Decade: 1970-1979
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 6 of 21:   Bystanders Observing the Fire]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 6 of 21: Bystanders Observing the Fire]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: The Damron Hotel was destroyed (on December 22, 1975) in a spectacular fire that received extensive photographic coverage. The hotel was located at 109 W. Hubbard. This is another picture of that immense conflagration. All the firemen answered a call that came in at 9:08 on the morning of the fire. The City of Weatherford also sent men and equipment over to help. Volunteers who were not themselves firemen also helped. Other buildings that suffered damage were Pemberton's (an appliance store across the street and west of the hotel), and the hardware store (Bought by Bob Sturtivant) next to the hotel. Note the height of the flames in this picture taken in the later stages of the fire.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 7 of 21:  The  Parking Lot Behind the Hotel]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 7 of 21: The Parking Lot Behind the Hotel]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: This is another view of the spectacular fire that consumed the Damron Hotel during the 1975 Christmas Season. The Damron was originally built as the Colonial Hotel in 1906 by rancher J.T. Holt for his second wife. The name was changed in 1917 when the hotel was traded to Agnew and Bessie Damron in exchange for a ranch. The fire was covered extensively by free-lance photographers. The hotel was formerly located on at 109 W. Hubbard Street, on the corner of the block that included SW 1st Avenue and SW 1st Street. Spot fires began on many nearby buildings, but they were extinguished quickly by volunteers atop those same buildings. This picture was taken during the later stages of the fire, and shows the gutted rear of the hotel, with huge flames still burning in the front portion of the building.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 8 of 21:  An  Early Stage of the Fire, Looking North]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 8 of 21: An Early Stage of the Fire, Looking North]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: This view of the spectacular holiday [Christmas] fire that consumed the Damron Hotel completely on December 22, 1975, was taken from SW 1st Street at the southwest corner of the block in the early stages of the fire. The Damron Hotel was built as the Colonial Hotel in 1906 by J. T. Holt for his second wife. She adamantly refused to live in the country. The name was changed in 1917 when it was traded to Agnew and Bessie Damron in exchange for a ranch. It was located at 109 W. Hubbard. The fire received extensive photographic coverage.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 9 of 21:   Firemen and a Fire Truck Near the North Side of Budiling]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 9 of 21: Firemen and a Fire Truck Near the North Side of Budiling]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph shows another view of the early response to the holiday conflagration that consumed the Damron Hotel on December 22, 1975. The Damron was built in 1906, during Mineral Wells' heyday as a popular resort city. Originally named the Colonial Hotel by J. T. Holt, and built for his second wife, the name of the hotel was changed in 1917 when Mr. Holt traded the hotel to Agnew and Bessie Damron in exchange for a ranch. The hotel was located at 109 W. Hubbard, and the spectacular fire received extensive photographic coverage.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 10 of 21]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 10 of 21]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Another in the extensive series of photographs that covered the spectacular holiday fire that completely consumed the Damron Hotel during the 1975 Christmas season. This picture shows some of the early response to the fire. Note, for example, the electrical utility truck, which has arrived to cut off electrical power to the buildings. The Damron Hotel (which was built during the days when Mineral Wells was a resort) was originally named the Colonial Hotel. It was located at 109 W. Hubbard. The spectacular fire received extensive photographic coverage. The sign "Pemberton Appliance and Plumbing", located across the street west, is visible. Pemberton's also suffered damage in the fire, but by 7:30 the next day, workmen were installing plate glass in it.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 11 of 21:   Fighting the Fire on W. Hubbard St.]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 11 of 21: Fighting the Fire on W. Hubbard St.]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is another picture in the series of photographs of the fire that destroyed the Damron Hotel during the holiday season of 1975. This smoke-shrouded scene of W. Hubbard, shows the front entrance to the hotel in the earlier stages of the fire's progress. The Damron was built in 1906, during the days that Mineral Wells was a popular resort spa. It burned completely on December 22,1975. The hotel's name was changed in 1917 when Mr. Holt (who had built the hotel) traded it to Agnew and Bessie Damron for a ranch. It was a very popular hotel through the "Roaring Twenties", the Great Depression and World War II.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 12 of 21:   Numerous Fire Hoses Lying in Front of the Hotel]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 12 of 21: Numerous Fire Hoses Lying in Front of the Hotel]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Another view of the front entrance to the Damron Hotel at 109 W. Hubbard during the earlier stages of the fire that completely destroyed it on December 22, 1975. Debris from the burning hotel wafted as far as seven blocks from the burning building. No major injuries were reported. The spectacular Holiday fire that destroyed the hotel received extensive photographic coverage.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 15 of 21:  Passenger Cars on a Back Street]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 15 of 21: Passenger Cars on a Back Street]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: The Damron Hotel, built in 1906 during the days that Mineral Wells was a popular resort spa, burned completely on December 22, 1975. It was located at 109 W. Hubbard Street. This picture shows the dense cloud of smoke that resulted from the holiday catastrophe. Westbound traffic on .S. Highway 180 had to be re-routed in order to avoid the clutter of debris that littered the street.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 16 of 21:  Black Smoke Billowing Over Businesses]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 16 of 21: Black Smoke Billowing Over Businesses]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is another view of the huge column of black smoke accompanying the Damron Hotel fire that completely destroyed the hotel on December 22, 1975. It was located at 109 W. Hubbard Street, and the spectacular fire that destroyed it received extensive photographic coverage. Ammunition (Presumably from the hardware store next to the hotel) explosions could be heard all downtown. Even though the explosions provided a hazard to fire fighters, no major injuries were reported.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 17 of 21:   Two Individuals on the Street Northwest of the Fire]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 17 of 21: Two Individuals on the Street Northwest of the Fire]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is another view of the plume of thick black smoke at the height of the fire that completely destroyed the Damron Hotel December 22, 1975, along with two hard-hatted individuals (presumably fire-fighters) standing in the street. It was a very popular hotel during the mineral water industry's heyday through the "Roaring Twenties", Great Depression and World War II. By the time of the fire, however, one informant remarked--verbally--that no respectable lady permitted herself to be found within a block of the hotel. Sic transit, it would appear, gloria mundi.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Beta Preview