You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Language: No Language
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 17 of 21:   Two Individuals on the Street Northwest of the Fire]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 17 of 21: Two Individuals on the Street Northwest of the Fire]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is another view of the plume of thick black smoke at the height of the fire that completely destroyed the Damron Hotel December 22, 1975, along with two hard-hatted individuals (presumably fire-fighters) standing in the street. The hotel was originally built as the Colonial Hotel in 1906 by J. T. Holt for his second wife, because the second Mrs. Holt said that she would not live in the country. Mr. Holt traded the hotel to Agnew and Bessie Damron for a ranch in 1917, and the hotel's name was changed to reflect the new ownership. It was a very popular hotel during the mineral water industry's heyday through the Roaring Twenties, Great Depression and World War II.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Time Was, 1st Edition, Auction, 1 of 8, Mayor H. Authur Zappe ]

[Time Was, 1st Edition, Auction, 1 of 8, Mayor H. Authur Zappe ]

Date: August 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: When the book, "Time Was in Mineral Wells," First Edition, by A. F. Weaver was published in 1975, the first ten copies were autographed by the author and auctioned to the highest bidder. The auction was held at the "Little Rock Schoolhouse", and shows Mayor H. Arthur Zappe addressing the crowd in attendance at the auction.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Time Was, 1st Edition, Auction, 2 of 8, A. F. Weaver]

[Time Was, 1st Edition, Auction, 2 of 8, A. F. Weaver]

Date: August 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture shows Ed Ford, standing before the picture he had painted of Mineral Wells' First Public School. It was built in 1884, and restored in 1975 by The Mineral Wells Heritage Association as a museum to preserve the history of the city.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Time Was, 1st Edition, Auction, 3 of 8, Reverend Mr. Bobby Moore]

[Time Was, 1st Edition, Auction, 3 of 8, Reverend Mr. Bobby Moore]

Date: August 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: The picture shows the auctioneer, the Reverend Mr. Bobby Moore, acknowledging a bid on a First Edition print of A. F. Weaver's "Time Was in Mineral Wells." To the auctioneer's right is author A. F. Weaver. The author's wife, Patsy, is standing in the window to the author's right.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Time Was, 1st Edition, Auction, 4 of 8, Reverend Mr. Bobby Moore Auctioneer ]

[Time Was, 1st Edition, Auction, 4 of 8, Reverend Mr. Bobby Moore Auctioneer ]

Date: August 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: The auction of copies of the first Edition of "Time Was in Mineral Wells," by A. F. Weaver, was held at the "Little Rock Schoolhouse." The auctioneer, the Reverend Bobby Moore, is asking for bids on a copy in this picture. The author, A. F. Weaver, stands between the windows to the auctioneer's right.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Time Was, 1st Edition, Auction, 8 of 8, Auctioneer]

[Time Was, 1st Edition, Auction, 8 of 8, Auctioneer]

Date: August 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: The auction of copies of the first edition of "Time Was in Mineral Wells..." by A. F. Weaver, held at the "Little Rock Schoolhouse." This picture shows the auctioneer, the Reverend Mr. Bobby Moore, with the autographed Copy Number 1. Author A.F. Weaver looks on in the background.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Mineral Wells Heritage Association, 1975]

[Mineral Wells Heritage Association, 1975]

Date: July 1, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture immortalizes the signing of the 25-year lease at $25 per year of the 1884 Little Rock School building for the purpose of establishing it as a museum. Pictured, left to right are: A. F. Weaver, President of the Mineral Wells Heritage Association; L. Gordon Nelson, Vice President; Mrs. Gordon Nelson, Chairperson for the Restoration Committee. Seated is Bill Hall, Superintendent of Mineral Wells Schools. The photograph was taken in July, 1975. The Little Rock School, in 2007, remains a museum dedicated to the preservation of the History of Mineral Wells. This picture appears in "Time Was in Mineral Wells...." on page 173.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Zappe Home -- NW 4th Avenue]

[The Zappe Home -- NW 4th Avenue]

Date: July 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Trees in full foliage (in July of 1975) obscure the Zappe House on NW 4th Avenue. This Tudor-style home with a native sandstone porch was built in 1929 by Mr. R.S. (Bob) Dalton, a pioneer rancher and developer of the Dalton oilfield in north Palo Pinto County. Dr. H. Arthur Zappe, a local dentist, member of the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners, and former mayor of Mineral Wells, bought the house in 1947. The house is currently [2009] owned by David Adams. There are arched entrances throughout the house, leaded and stained-glass windows, French doors, stippled stucco walls and doors that are inlaid with mahogany panels. In addition to fireplaces, the house obtains heat from gas-fired steam radiators.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[416 NW 6th Street]

[416 NW 6th Street]

Date: June 1975
Creator: Weaver, A. F.
Description: Shown here is a photograph of the front and west side of a multi-story Queen Anne-style, cement block house located at 416 NW 6th Street in Mineral Wells, Texas. It has many architectural features displaying sub-types including Patterned Masonry and Free Classic, such as the shaped parapets on the tower, and on the gables (Patterned Masonry), as well as the Palladian window on the tower (Free Classic). The rectangular tower is unusual.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Calvary Baptist Church]

[The Calvary Baptist Church]

Date: 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: The Calvary Baptist Church was originally located at 708 SE 5th Street. This picture was taken in 1975, shortly before the building was torn down and replaced by a more modern facility. Both the red-brick-trimmed native rock church and parsonage suffered substantial structural deterioration, which necessitated replacement. This series of pictures was probably taken for both a pictorial history of the old church, as well as photographic evidence of the deterioration of the structure that warranted its destruction and replacement. The new church, at this same location, now faces SE 6th Avenue.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library