You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Decade: 1940-1949
 Language: English
Panorama of Camp Wolters, TX

Panorama of Camp Wolters, TX

Date: 1941
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture is a panoramic photograph of Camp Wolters in Mineral Wells, Texas, the largest infantry replacement center in 1941. Labels on photograph identify (left to right) Target Range, Regimental Area No. 4, Dental Clinic,Guest House, Service Club, Theater, Regimental Area No. 3, Infantry Replacement Center/Headquarters Area, Regimental Area No. 6, Warehouse Area, Corps Area Service Command and Hospital Area, Regimental Area No. 2, Regimental Area No. 1, and Machine Gun Range.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Social Security Award for Boyce Ditto]

[Social Security Award for Boyce Ditto]

Date: June 4, 1948
Creator: unknown
Description: An insurance award from the Social Security Administration for Boyce Ditto in 1948.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Last Days of Camp Wolters, 15 August 1946

The Last Days of Camp Wolters, 15 August 1946

Date: August 15, 1946
Creator: Coing, Edward E.
Description: This pamphlet describes the last eight months of Camp Wolters, during which time it was closed down, and its personnel were transferred to positions in other places. The notation "CW 41-46 (7)" invites interpretation.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Firing and Deflection Conversion Tables]

[Firing and Deflection Conversion Tables]

Date: November 1, 1940
Creator: United States. Army. Ordnance Dept.
Description: This document (FT 81 B3, abridged) consists of two pages, each with a separate table. The first table is a chart that shows range and elevation for firing particular mortar shells. The second page includes a chart with range and deflection (presumably for the same kind of shells), as well as notes which give additional instructions. The significance of the notation "CW 41-46 (11)" in the upper right-hand corner remains unknown.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
KORC 1140 On Your Dial

KORC 1140 On Your Dial

Date: 1946
Creator: unknown
Description: A picture of a KORC-KBS Microphone--"1140 on your dial" is shown here. Mineral Wells' radio history dates back to the 1930's when Mr. Hal Collins, owner of the Crazy Hotel, began sponsoring broadcasts originating in the hotel lobby. The radio station was founded and owned by Mr. Achilles Corcanges, and aired its first broadcast on December 5, 1946. Radio station KMWT-FM began broadcasting from Mineral Wells in 1970. The broadcasts were aired nationwide, at noon daily, over the Texas Quality Network. It advertised Crazy Water Crystals. Both stations' call letters were changed in 1983 to KJAS-AM and KYXS-FM. Many show business luminaries appeared on the shows. For instance, Mary Martin of Weatherford began her singing/acting career here.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Camp Wolters - Texas

Camp Wolters - Texas

Date: 1945
Creator: Camp Wolters Studio
Description: Illustrated here is a panoramic view of Camp Wolters, Texas. Labels on photograph identify (left to right) Area No. 4, Sports Arena, Service Club, Area No. 5, Area No. 3, Area No. 2, and Area No.1. Platoons of soldiers are marching on the left side of the photograph.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Crazy Paper Box Company

Crazy Paper Box Company

Date: 1942
Creator: unknown
Description: The Crazy Water Company built a plant in 1919 to extract minerals from its water, box the crystals, and sell them nationwide as Crazy Water Crystals. Part of the crystal enterprise included a box factory. Following an action by the Food and Drug Administration in the late 1930's, crystal operations were reduced and box operation was diversified. On the back of the photograph is written "'Treetop' Erwin, left, was the driver of the Crazy Box Company truck." The photograph is dated 1940, and can be found in A. F. Weaver's book, "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells", First Edition, 1974, on page 28. Special note: By magnifying the picture so as to be able to read the license plate of the truck, the date "42" becomes visible.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Standard  [Well and Amusement Park]

Standard [Well and Amusement Park]

Date: 1942?
Creator: unknown
Description: Formerly the Vichy Well, it was re-named the Standard Well and Amusement Park. Note the large mineral water bottle sign in the lower right hand corner of the picture. The building was torn down during World War II, and replaced by USO Club. The North Oak Community Center is at this location as of 2008. Information about it was taken from A.F. Weaver "Time Was" page 67.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A 1949 Mercury]

[A 1949 Mercury]

Date: 1949
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: Illustrated here is a photograph of a 1949 Mercury that was owned by A.F.Weaver, Jr. when he sold Crazy Water Crystals after World War II in the Houston and New Orleans areas. (Mr. Weaver's father moved to Mineral Wells in the 1930's to manage the Crazy Water Company's operations. Art, Jr. became a salesman for Crazy Water Crystals following World War II.)
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Gang Bus]

[The Crazy Gang Bus]

Date: 1940
Creator: unknown
Description: A radio show, broadcast at noon and advertising Crazy Water Crystals over the Texas Quality Network, became so popular that the radio gang found themselves in great demand for personal appearances. To accommodate their audiences, the band traveled in their own bus, shown here. On the back of the photograph is stamped "A. F. Weaver Photography 412 N.Oak Avenue Mineral Wells, Texas 76067." Dated: 1940. Please note: ZIP codes were not in existence in 1940. Its appearance here with the date of 1940 cannot be easily explained.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST