You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Decade: 1950-1959
 Language: English
Palocade - Palo Pinto County - Official Centennial Program - back page

Palocade - Palo Pinto County - Official Centennial Program - back page

Date: May 1957
Creator: Palo Pinto Centennial Association
Description: Shown here is a picture of the reverse (back) page of a souvenir program from the Palo Pinto Centennial Celebration of 1957. It consists of advertising, extolling the virtues of the First National Bank in Mineral Wells.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Palocade - Palo Pinto County - Official Centennial Program - front side

Palocade - Palo Pinto County - Official Centennial Program - front side

Date: May 1957
Creator: unknown
Description: The obverse (front) page of a souvenir program from the Palo Pinto Centennial production, "Palocade," which tells the history of Palo Pinto County, which includes the names of the Centennial Queen and her court, is illustrated here.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Unit History of 845th Engineer Aviation Battalion [ From] 1 January 1956 to 29 February 1956

Unit History of 845th Engineer Aviation Battalion [ From] 1 January 1956 to 29 February 1956

Date: March 1956
Creator: Myers, William L.
Description: This document gives a narrative of the activities of the 845th Engineer Aviation Battalion, as they prepared to leave one station (England Air Force Base, Louisiana) for their new headquarters at Wolters Air Force Base in Texas. There is a description of their drills, inspections, and preparations as well as an appendix with the original movement orders. The motto beneath the shield translates: "We build a nest."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Sam Houston School

Sam Houston School

Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.
Description: Students, teachers and principal D.R. Hudson, of the Sam Houston School in March 1954 stand outside the school building.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Young Motor Co.

Young Motor Co.

Date: May 1952
Creator: Weaver, A. F.
Description: A text on the photograph identifies it as "May 1952-Grand Opening after fire of 1951," "316 E. Hubbard Street," "Photo by A. F. Weaver." This business was the local General Motors dealership and garage. It became Barnett-Young in late 1960's and in 1984 after Cecil Young's death it was Barnett Motor Co. The building is adjacent to the Baker Hotel parking garage, and, in 2007, it houses the H & H Tire Company.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
PALOCADE Palo Pinto County

PALOCADE Palo Pinto County

Date: 1957
Creator: unknown
Description: Palo Pinto County celebrated 100 years of existence in 1957. Shown here is a picture of the cover of the official program of the pageant that commemorated this milestone in the county's history. Palo Pinto County began with its formation by act of the Texas legislature in 1856, and its subsequent organization in 1857. As part of the year-long centennial observance, a pageant noting significant events in the county's past was presented at the local football stadium. The program itself contains 28 pages of tidbits of history about people, places and events in the county's heritage, along with a schedule of events organized by the official Centennial Committee.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Nazareth  Hospital 25th Anniversary 1931-1956

Nazareth Hospital 25th Anniversary 1931-1956

Date: 1956
Creator: unknown
Description: We have here a copy of the cover of a booklet marking the 25th anniversary (1931 - 1956) of Mineral Well's Nazareth Hospital. The brochure contains pictures of the religious, medical, nursing and administrative staff, with interior scenes of departments, patients and equipment. The Mineral Wells Clinic was built soon after the current Crazy Hotel opened in 1927 to replace the Crazy Flats that burned in 1925. In 1931 the Holy Sisters of the Nazareth purchased the 46-bed facility for $135,000 and moved into the top floor of the building to live and minister to the patients. The hospital was closed in the mid 'sixties. The hospital was temporarily moved to the Crazy Hotel until the present [2009] hospital was built.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Points of Interest in and About Mineral Wells

Points of Interest in and About Mineral Wells

Date: 1950?
Creator: unknown
Description: A photograph of a collage in a Mineral Wells Area Chamber of Commerce advertisement includes a postcard that pictures points of interest in and about the city. Pictured are: An aerial view of Camp Wolters, the Recreation Center showing a theater, gymnasium, and PX, with an inset of the base hospital; Possum Kingdom Dam and part of the eponymous lake; a local beauty queen; an aerial view of downtown Mineral Wells, Texas; Lake Mineral Wells (with the island that was inundated when the dam was subsequently raised); a view from Inspiration Point south of the city; and the Baker Hotel. The text publicizes the various assets and tourist attractions to be found in and around the "City Built on Water." One photograph in the collage is upside-down.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Aerial View of Downtown Mineral Wells in 1954]

[An Aerial View of Downtown Mineral Wells in 1954]

Date: 1954
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a picture of an aerial view of downtown Mineral Wells (taken from the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram, January 1954)at about South Oak Avenue, and looking north-northeast. Some of the buildings identifiable in the picture no longer exist. The Damron Hotel, at the middle left of the picture, burned in 1975. The Oxford Hotel/First National Bank building, one block east [right] of the Damron, near the center of the picture, burned in 1983. It has been replaced by Lynch Plaza. The Hexagon Hotel, in the upper left corner of the picture, (north and above the Crazy) was demolished in 1959. The Convention Center behind the Hexagon was demolished in 1976. Landmarks still standing are: The 13-story (including a Roof Garden) Baker Hotel, dominating the upper right of the picture; The Crazy Hotel (now a retirement home) at the upper left of the picture; and the old Post Office in the upper middle of the picture (between the Baker and Crazy Hotels), which is now the Woman's Club. The building across the street and to the south (this side of the Baker) was demolished to make room for the Mineral Wells Savings and Loan, which in turn was replaced by The ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Cullen Grimes School

The Cullen Grimes School

Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.
Description: Principal Donald Bond, the teachers and the students of the afternoon group at Cullen Grimes School in Mineral Wells, Texas congregate in front of the building in March of 1954.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 NEXT LAST