You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Language: English
[A Mini-Park]

[A Mini-Park]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The women of Mineral Wells beautified the town by planting vacant lots. This "Mini-park" was located in the 200 block of Hubbard Street, and is now [2008]a parking lot adjacent to Murray's Grill.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Yeager Block]

[The Yeager Block]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture shows a white sandstone building on NE 1st Avenue named "Yeager Block." The original home of (what was often called) the Lion Drugstore, it once sported a metal statue of a lion mounted on the roof, which gave rise to the legend that the business was called "The Lion Drug." (Current living descendants of Dr. Yeager do not ever remember the drugstore being referred to by than name. However, a casual reference to it in 1912 refers to the store as "The Lion Drug.") It housed the Baker Medical Supply at the time of the photograph. A retail store in the left of the photograph is named "The Rural Route." A handwritten date on the back of the photograph gives the year as "1993." The coffee shop "H2J0" is located [in 2007] where "The Rural Route" used to be.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Co-Operative Market

Co-Operative Market

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph appears in A.F. Weaver's book, "Time Was...", second Edition, on page 189. The Co-operative Market was located on the lot in the 200 block of S. Oak Street, where the present [2010] Fire and Police Departments are located. The sign indicates that women and girls were the market's anticipated customers. The street is paved and curbed, so the photograph was taken sometime after city streets were paved in 1914. The facade of a building behind the CO-OP sign bears a "City Feed Market" - "Hay, Oats, Corn . . ." legend. Note the contemporary automobiles in the foreground. The one on the left (edge of picture) appears to be a WHIPPET touring car.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Float in a Parade]

[A Float in a Parade]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A float, sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce, in a 1938 parade is shown here. Please note the businesses in view: City Bakery, and Perry Brothers 5-10-and 25-Cent [store].
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The TIME WAS Book Auction]

[The TIME WAS Book Auction]

Date: August 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: The auction of first edition of "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells..." The men in picture were: (left to right) the Reverend Mr. Bobby Moore, auctioneer; Art Weaver, author; H. Arthur Zappe, DDS, Mayor of Mineral Wells; and Frost Bowman, Banker. The Reverend Mr. Moore was pastor of the First Baptist Church at the time. Mr. Weaver was a photographer, and the first president of the Mineral Wells Heritage Association. Dr. Zappe was a dentist, and Mr. Bowman was a Director of Mineral Wells Heritage Association.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Texas & Pacific [Bus]

Texas & Pacific [Bus]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a photograph of the bus that conveyed passengers that got off the Texas & Pacific's "Sunshine Special" in Millsap to their destination in Mineral Werlls. This picture was taken in 1940. Information about this picture is taken from Arthur Weaver's book "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells", page 96.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Mineral Wells Orchestra]

[A Mineral Wells Orchestra]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is a clipping from a newspaper, showing the Mineral Wells Orchestra, some 65 years previous to its publication. Members are, top row: John Nance, Jeff Reimar, John (last name unknown) and an unidentified mandolin player; middle row is a string guitar quartet consisting of: Mrs. J.E. Johnson, Mrs. R. L. Yeager, Mrs. P. E. Bock, and an unidentified fourth lady; front row: Mrs. J.D. Cranford, John Muns, an unidentified person (perhaps a trombonist), and Mrs. I. N. Wynn. The clipping was cut short; some information is clearly be missing.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Street Scene, Taken About the 1930's]

[A Street Scene, Taken About the 1930's]

Date: 1927?
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph illustrates the "New" Crazy Hotel on North Oak Avenue, which opened in 1927 after the earlier hotel burned March 15, 1925. Many automobiles typical of the period can be seen on the street. Note the following businesses: Tom Moore, Barber Shop, Cafe, Young's Studio, Bath House, Crazy Drug.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Casino

Casino

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph may be found on page 87 of "Time Was..." by A. F. Weaver. He identifies it as "The Casino and Fiddler's Bandstand at Elmhurst Park." The park was southwest of Mineral Wells. Some of the photograph appears to have been re-touched.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Mesquite Street North From Throckmorton Street

Mesquite Street North From Throckmorton Street

Date: 1915?
Creator: unknown
Description: A postcard of Mesquite Street, taken from Throckmorton Street [In 2008: NE 1st Avenue from NE 1st Street] Note the Post Office, completed August 1913, at end of the newly-paved street. The trolley tracks were removed in 1913, the street paved, and sidewalks installed in 1914. The street names were changed in 1920.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library