You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Resource Type: Artwork
 County: Palo Pinto County, TX
KORC 1140 On Your Dial

KORC 1140 On Your Dial

Date: 1946
Creator: unknown
Description: A picture of a KORC-KBS Microphone--"1140 on your dial" is shown here. Mineral Wells' radio history dates back to the 1930's when Mr. Hal Collins, owner of the Crazy Hotel, began sponsoring broadcasts originating in the hotel lobby. The radio station was founded and owned by Mr. Achilles Corcanges, and aired its first broadcast on December 5, 1946. Radio station KMWT-FM began broadcasting from Mineral Wells in 1970. The broadcasts were aired nationwide, at noon daily, over the Texas Quality Network. It advertised Crazy Water Crystals. Both stations' call letters were changed in 1983 to KJAS-AM and KYXS-FM. Many show business luminaries appeared on the shows. For instance, Mary Martin of Weatherford began her singing/acting career here.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Time Was in Mineral Wells

Time Was in Mineral Wells

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The dust cover of "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells... 1975 Edition." It is considered the first pictorial history of the city. The book is the product of A.F. Weaver, whose collection of photographs constitutes this collection.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Souvenir Views of Mineral Wells, Texas

Souvenir Views of Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A pamphlet, shaped like a water bottle, with illustrations of the Mineral Wells area. Some pictures include unidentified visitors to the area that are enjoying the outdoor natural beauty. Please note the statement "Patent and Trademark applied for by the Yeager Drug Company" on the lower left-hand portion of the photograph.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Right Ticket

The Right Ticket

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: An old advertisement for Mineral Wells, touting the "pleasures" to be had in the city. The lady's crown displays the legend "Health & Pleasure." The "Pleasures" obtainable in the city need not be discussed, as they are plainly describedd in the picture, which may be found on page 91 of the second edition of A. F. Weaver's book, "Time Was..."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
"Crazy" Water Crystals Plant

"Crazy" Water Crystals Plant

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The "Crazy" Water Crystals Plant was built in 1919. Mineral water was boiled down in the plant, until only the mineral crystals were left. The crystals became an early version of "instant food" when dissolved in water. Radio advertising in the 1930's over the Texas Quality Network, direct from the lobby of the Crazy Hotel, developed a market for the "Crazy Water Crystals" all over the world. This picture of the plant has been computer-enhanced.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Health Resort Quarterly, 1 of 4, Cover

The Health Resort Quarterly, 1 of 4, Cover

Date: October 1915
Creator: unknown
Description: The cover of The (October 1915) Health Resort Quarterly, published by the Commercial Club of Mineral Wells, Texas is illustrated here. The wreath on the cover frames a lady's arm and hand holding a glass of (mineral) water with captions "ANALYSIS HAS PROVED IT TO HAVE NO EQUAL" above and "FAMED THE WORLD OVER" below, referring to the mineral water from the local wells. A colophon at bottom reads: "Index Print [symbol] Mineral Wells."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Mr. Lynch On His Way to Discover Mineral Wells

Mr. Lynch On His Way to Discover Mineral Wells

Date: October 16, 2006
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture is a photograph of a cartoon. See also "Opening of the First Season at Mineral Wells" and "The First Well Was Dug Here in 1877." Please note the centipede, illustrated along with other forms of wildlife. Also, please note the Indians, who appear to be friendly. A.F. Weaver took this cartoon from a jocular booklet titled "Inside Story About the Waters" (q.v.) that is in the Palo Pinto County Album collection (q.v.) It is written in the nineteenth-century burlesque style, and need not be taken seriously.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The First Well Was Dug Here in 1877

The First Well Was Dug Here in 1877

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph illustrates a cartoon. "1880" is written in ink at bottom of the photograph, evidently in correction of the cartoon. Lynch arrived in what would later be Mineral Wells in 1877. His first well, dug to forty-one feet in 1878, was dry. The second well, drilled deeper, was in 1880. Please see also "Opening of the First Season at Mineral Wells" and "Mr. Lynch on His Way to Discover Mineral Wells." The cartoon appears to have been taken by A. F. Weaver from a jocular booklet titled "Inside Story About the Waters" which is in the holdings of the Palo Pinto County Album (q.v.). The booklet was written in the nineteenth-century burlesque tradition, and Weaver makes no comment on the cartoon or the booklet.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Dismuke's Famous Mineral Crystals Label]

[Dismuke's Famous Mineral Crystals Label]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: One of the by-products of the water which made Mineral Wells famous was mineral crystals, which were shipped all over the world. Purchasers could dissolve the crystals in tap water and (reportedly) receive the same benefits from the reconstituted water as from the well water. The Famous Water Company and the Famous Crystal Company were founded by Ed Dismuke, a druggist from Waco who came to Mineral Wells for his health. The Famous Water Company is still in operation--under different ownership--and it is the only mineral water company in Mineral Wells at this time.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Love Story of Mineral Wells]

[A Love Story of Mineral Wells]

Date: 1915?
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph appears to be a fragment of the cover of an advertising booklet that includes the fiction "A Love Story of Mineral Wells." The complete booklet is available by flipping through the page by selecting "next" above the photographs. The cover shows a lady holding a handful of dominoes, which was probably meant to establish a connection to Mineral Wells, Dominoes once being a popular pastime in the city. The game of 42 (named after the number of points that could be scored in a game) was invented in Garner, seven miles east of Mineral Wells.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST