You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Decade: 1970-1979
 Year: 1974
[A Marina on Possum Kingdom Lake]

[A Marina on Possum Kingdom Lake]

Date: August 11, 1974
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is a view of Possum Kingdom Lake, at possibly Harmar Harbor, showing one of its many marinas.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Possum Kingdom Lake - Observation Point]

[Possum Kingdom Lake - Observation Point]

Date: August 11, 1974
Creator: unknown
Description: A view of part of Possum Kingdom Lake from Observation Point, taken August 11, 1974. Although it is not readily visible, the Morris Sheppard Dam, which impounds the Brazos River to form Possum Kingdom Lake, is on the far right edge of the picture. The view is from a vantage point approximately 150 feet above the water, which in its turn is approximately 190 feet deep at this point.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Smith Memorial at Elmwood Cemetery]

[The Smith Memorial at Elmwood Cemetery]

Date: April 4, 1974
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a picture of a monument that is to be found in the Elmwood Cemetery. Two Confederate soldiers with rifles (who presumably never went to war) stand at the top of a scrolled pediment that bears the number "32" amidst foliage. Beneath it are crossed sabres. At the very bottom. under the name "Smith", is the motto: "Charity and Humanity Our Religion" in raised letters. This monument may be the grave of the Cicero Smith family. He was the President of Lake View Scenic Railway, also known as the Dinkey Cars.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Hotel Barber Shop]

[The Crazy Hotel Barber Shop]

Date: 1974
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph shows the barber Shop in the Crazy Hotel in 1974. "Shoe Shine Boy" Leon Cross is shown seated at his shoe-shine stand. Leon worked in the First Crazy Hotel before it burned in 1925, and (in 1974) he had been employed by the hotel in various capacities since. The new Crazy Hotel opened in 1927. After the Nazareth Hospital closed, rooms on the first two floors of the Crazy were used as a hospital while the new Palo Pinto General Hospital was under construction. The Crazy Hotel is now [2009]a retirement Home. It was forcibly closed down in 2010.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Well]

[The Crazy Well]

Date: 1974
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture was taken in 1974, looking south on NW 1st Avenue from NW 4th Street, showing the metal cover, in the sidewalk corner, of the Crazy Well. It is full of Crazy water, ready to be pumped out and used. The building on the left is the west side of the present [2008] Crazy Water Retirement Hotel. This information was taken from Art Weaver's book "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells...", page 29. This well was the third one dug in Mineral Wells.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Water Well--1974]

[The Crazy Water Well--1974]

Date: March 24, 1974
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The original Crazy Woman's Well is preserved under the sidewalk at the northwest corner of the Crazy Hotel. This is the well the mentally-challenged (or the once-designated "Crazy woman") drank from that "cured" her dementia. Although not used for years, the well probably only requires a pump to resume production. Printed on the back of this picture is "The Crazy Well as today", and stamped "Mar. 21, 1974."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Rock School House]

[The Rock School House]

Date: 1974
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The Rock School, erected in 1884, was Mineral Wells' first public school. It was last used in 1957 as a band hall. It was leased to the Mineral Wells Heritage Association in 1974, renovated and converted to a museum dedicated to the preservation of the history of the City of Mineral Wells. This picture appears to have been taken at the time of its renovation and conversion, as the worker on the ladder makes evident. The bell tower has been enclosed, and window screens and doors have been painted or replaced. The property now belongs to the Fifty Year Club, but the museum is still operated by the non-profit Heritage Association.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Old Katie Ware Home , 911 North Oak] Avenue

[The Old Katie Ware Home , 911 North Oak] Avenue

Date: June 1974
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The old Katie Ware Home, of Queen Anne Style, shows possible remodeling. Please note the slightly unusual octagonal tower. Also note the front porch, level with the ground. The building was located at 911 N. Oak Avenue. It has since [2008] been demolished. The picture was taken on taken June of 1974. The picture shows the home from the front.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Colonel Boykin Home - 1301 SE 4th Avenue]

[The Colonel Boykin Home - 1301 SE 4th Avenue]

Date: June 1974
Creator: unknown
Description: The Colonel Boykin Home, at 1301 SE 4th Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas appears to show neo-classical elements, along with evidence of later remodeling. This home was built in 1905 by Colonel Walter H. Boykin, owner of the Fairfield Inn. It was later purchased by William Whipple Johnson who, with his brother, Harvey, originally developed the coal mines in Thurber, Texas. Johnson opened the Rock Creek Mine in far western Parker County (after selling the mines at Thurber) and lived in this home while he operated it. The Will Smith family owned the house during the 1930's The house was converted to a rooming house during World War II, and abandoned in later years. The abandoned house was bought in 1975 by Morris Wayne Garrett and his wife, Darlene. They salvaged artifacts from several historical buildings in Mineral Wells that were in the process of being demolished: A beveled-glass door from the old Miller Hotel, large claw-footed bathtubs from the Jerome Hotel, French doors and tall windows from the old Firemen's club at Lake Mineral Wells, and baluster rails which were once part of the Hexagon Hotel, in their efforts to restore the home to its former grandeur.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A House at 401 NW 4th Avenue]

[A House at 401 NW 4th Avenue]

Date: June 1974
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: This picture gives a better view of the house shown in the previous photograph. It was taken in June of 1974. The house was built by P.E. Bock.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 NEXT LAST