You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Decade: 1920-1929
 Year: 1920
In The Good Old Days

In The Good Old Days

Date: 1920
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture is accompanied by a newspaper article that chronicles the activities of a group of men repairing the public highway between Mineral Wells and Palo Pinto in the year 1920--before the Texas Highway Department was created. Pictured are the following people: Harold Guinn on left with spade. J. L. Miller on truck fender. Standing, left to right: Red Taylor, George Oliver, Johnnie Liveley; Irl Preston and W. T. Tygrett shaking hands, with Joe Dillon standing between them. Also standing in the background are Clarence Wewerkka, W. C. Caldwell, W. I. Smith, and Lawrence Davis. The photograph is listed as courtesy of W. T. Tygrett.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[R.L. Polk & Co.'s Mineral Wells City Directory, 1920]

[R.L. Polk & Co.'s Mineral Wells City Directory, 1920]

Date: 1920
Creator: R.L. Polk & Co.
Description: The city directory for Mineral Wells, 1920, embraces a complete alphabetical list of business firms and private citizens; a directory of city and county officials, churches, public and private schools, banks, asylums, hospitals, commercial bodies, secret societies, street and avenue guide, etc.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Two Unidentified Men on Welcome Mountain

Two Unidentified Men on Welcome Mountain

Date: 1920?
Creator: unknown
Description: Two unidentified men are here seen sitting on a bench on East Mountain. The photograph is believed to have been taken about the year 1920. Benches were located atop East Mountain for the benefit of visitors who climbed the 1,000 steps from NE 3rd Street. East Mountain became better known as WELCOME Mountain after the WELCOME sign was erected in 1922. The sign was the largest non-commercial electric sign in the world and was a gift from George Holmgreen (Governor of the Texas Rotary Club) owner of the San Antonio Iron Works, following the State Rotary Convention the previous year. The sign was moved east to Bald Mountain in 1972. [A careful examination of the photograph suggests that the two men are possibly holding hands under a blanket which has been laid across both laps.]
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
We lost our job at Mineral Wells, Texas

We lost our job at Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: 1920?/1930?
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a picture that was found in Mr. Weaver's collection, and captioned "We lost our job at Mineral Wells, Texas." This type of advertising was used by most of the drinking pavilions in this popular health resort to tout the beneficial effects of Mineral Wells' waters. There were numerous testimonials attesting the truth of such claims. When the Food and Drug Administration began to enforce the nation's drug laws vigorously in the mid- 1930's, however, there were no rigorous scientific test data to document such claims or to warn of possible side effects that taking the mineral water might bring about. Consequently, this sort of advertising was banned after the 1930's.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Milling's Sanitarium and Water Well ]

[Milling's Sanitarium and Water Well ]

Date: 1920?/1929?
Creator: unknown
Description: The gazebo-like structure shown in the picture protects a water pump in front of the Milling Sanitarium. The sanitarium was built about 1929 on what was then the 2500 block of SE Sixth Avenue. It later became the Irvine Sanitarium. The Veterans of Foreign Wars (Post 2399) occupies the building as of 2010. The fate of the structure shown here is unknown.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Milling's Sanitarium

Milling's Sanitarium

Date: 1920?/1929?
Creator: unknown
Description: Milling's Sanitarium was built H.H. Milling, son of Roscoe Gorman Milling (a/k/a "The Indian Adept", a/k/a "The Long-haired Doctor"), about 1929 on the Old Millsap Highway. It was later renamed Irvine Sanitarium. The building (at 1400 SE VFW Highway--a branch of SE 6th Avenue, at about the 2500 block) now [2011] houses Post 2399 of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. Some of the information about this picture was taken from taken from A. F. Weaver's book "Time Was in Mineral Wells", second edition, page 129.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The First Crazy Hotel and Crazy Flats]

[The First Crazy Hotel and Crazy Flats]

Date: 1920?
Creator: unknown
Description: A view of the Crazy Flats and first Crazy Hotel, as seen from East Mountain. Crazy Flats, at the right middle of the picture, was the second Crazy Drinking Pavilion--also with Rooms for Rent--was built in 1909. One feature of the Flats was "Peacock Alley", where the men gathered on Sundays to watch the ladies parade and show off the latest fashions in female gear. The first Crazy Hotel is to the left rear of the Flats; the first section of the Hotel, on the right, was built in 1912, and the second section, on the left, to its left, was built in 1914 and connected to the first with a common lobby. The Crazy Bath house adjoined Crazy Flats on the left, and a drugstore was located in the left corner of the Bath house building. A fire, starting in the drugstore on March 15, 1925, burned the entire block, sparing only the small building housing the first Crazy Pavilion (the right rear of the Flats.) The current (second) Crazy Hotel opened in 1927, and replaced all of the former businesses in this block.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Crazy Well Water Company

The Crazy Well Water Company

Date: 1920?
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture shows a photograph of two pages from a water-bottle-shaped brochure about Mineral Wells. The "Appendix" referred to on the verso folio refers to a series of burlesques printed on previous--unseen--pages. The recto folio describes the four types of the water and the various ailments that they are expected to cure. The brochure notes that number four water is purgative, and should be used in moderation, but at frequent intervals.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells]

[An Aerial View of Mineral Wells]

Date: 1920?
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: A panoramic view of Mineral Wells looking southwest from East Mountain, Poston's Dry Goods store may be seen in the middle left of the picture, and the Old High School, Rock Schoolhouse, and West Ward School are visible next to West Mountain skyline in the upper right corner of the picture.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Burro, Yearbook of Mineral Wells High School, 1920

The Burro, Yearbook of Mineral Wells High School, 1920

Date: 1920
Creator: Mineral Wells High School (Mineral Wells, Tex.)
Description: This picture shows the yearbook of Mineral Wells High School, for the year 1920. It includes photographs of--and information about--the school, the student body, teachers, and organizations.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Contributing Partner: Mineral Wells Heritage Association
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST