Dear Portal friends: Do you enjoy having history at your fingertips?
We’ve appreciated your support over the years, and need your help to keep history alive.
Here’s the deal: we’ve received a Challenge Grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Now it’s time to keep our word and raise matching funds for the Cathy Nelson Hartman Portal to Texas History Endowment.
If even half the people who use the Portal this month give $5, we’d meet our $1.5 million goal immediately!
donations are tax-deductible and support Texas history: yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
You limited your search to:
Boyce Ditto Public Library
- [A Letter Concerning Mineral Wells High School 1953 Graduation]
A letter is shown here (dated November 27, 2002) from R. B. Shiflet to Bob Bellamy, concerning the Mineral Wells High School graduating classes of 1953 and 1954. It states that the move to the "new" campus occurred during the Christmas holidays of 1953. The letter also describes classroom conditions during this period. Houston School faculty members are mentioned, as well. They included R. B. Shiflet, Mrs. D. R. (Ferne) Hudson and Mrs. Mildred Burnham. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38084/
- Nazareth Hospital 25th Anniversary 1931-1956
We have here a copy of the cover of a booklet marking the 25th anniversary (1931 - 1956) of Mineral Well's Nazareth Hospital. The brochure contains pictures of the religious, medical, nursing and administrative staff, with interior scenes of departments, patients and equipment.
The Mineral Wells Clinic was built soon after the current Crazy Hotel opened in 1927 to replace the Crazy Flats that burned in 1925. In 1931 the Holy Sisters of the Nazareth purchased the 46-bed facility for $135,000 and moved into the top floor of the building to live and minister to the patients. The hospital was closed in the mid 'sixties.
The hospital was temporarily moved to the Crazy Hotel until the present  hospital was built. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth25090/
- PALOCADE Palo Pinto County
Palo Pinto County celebrated 100 years of existence in 1957. Shown here is a picture of the cover of the official program of the pageant that commemorated this milestone in the county's history.
Palo Pinto County began with its formation by act of the Texas legislature in 1856, and its subsequent organization in 1857.
As part of the year-long centennial observance, a pageant noting significant events in the county's past was presented at the local football stadium.
The program itself contains 28 pages of tidbits of history about people, places and events in the county's heritage, along with a schedule of events organized by the official Centennial Committee. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth25091/
- The Cullen Grimes School
Principal Donald Bond, the teachers and the students of the afternoon group at Cullen Grimes School in Mineral Wells, Texas congregate in front of the building in March of 1954. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16326/
- Palocade - Palo Pinto County - Official Centennial Program - front side
The obverse (front) page of a souvenir program from the Palo Pinto Centennial production, "Palocade," which tells the history of Palo Pinto County, which includes the names of the Centennial Queen and her court, is illustrated here. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16328/
- Palocade - Palo Pinto County - Official Centennial Program - back page
Shown here is a picture of the reverse (back) page of a souvenir program from the Palo Pinto Centennial Celebration of 1957. It consists of advertising, extolling the virtues of the First National Bank in Mineral Wells. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16329/
- The First Anniversary of the Aviation Engineer Force Activation
Troops and spectators celebrate the first anniversary of Aviation Engineer Force Activation at Wolters Air Force Base on April 10, 1952, with Colonel A.B. Campfield, the Commander of Troops; Brigadier General H.W. Ehrgott, Commanding; Colonel Philip G. Kemp, the Base Commander. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16324/
- The Sam Houston School--- An Afternoon Group of 1954
Students, teachers and the principal, D.R. Hudson, of the Sam Houston School's Afternoon Group are shown here in March of 1954. The picture was taken outside the school building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16322/
- Sam Houston School
Students, teachers and principal D.R. Hudson, of the Sam Houston School in March 1954 stand outside the school building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16321/
- Points of Interest in and About Mineral Wells
A photograph of a collage in a Mineral Wells Area Chamber of Commerce advertisement includes a postcard that pictures points of interest in and about the city. Pictured are: An aerial view of Camp Wolters, the Recreation Center showing a theater, gymnasium, and PX, with an inset of the base hospital; Possum Kingdom Dam and part of the eponymous lake; a local beauty queen; an aerial view of downtown Mineral Wells, Texas; Lake Mineral Wells (with the island that was inundated when the dam was subsequently raised); a view from Inspiration Point south of the city; and the Baker Hotel.
The text publicizes the various assets and tourist attractions to be found in and around the "City Built on Water." One photograph in the collage is upside-down. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29835/
- [Mineral Wells Policemen]
On back of this photograph is written:
"T. Row. L to R. Harry Shuffler, Gilbert Summerfield, L.D. Hill, Bill Patton & Odie Heath
B. Row L. to R. Chief Frank Granbury, B Lain (probably "Blain") Price, John Fletcher, E. Scott Tobey & Alfred A Perkins"
The picture was donated to the Mineral Wells Heritage Association on February 12, 1988, by Scott Tobey. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29827/
- Mineral Wells News (Mineral Wells, Tex.), Vol. 26, No. 39, Ed. 1 Tuesday, September 17, 1957
Weekly newspaper from Mineral Wells, Texas that includes local, state and national news along with extensive advertising. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth476253/
- Unit History of 845th Engineer Aviation Battalion [ From] 1 January 1956 to 29 February 1956
This document gives a narrative of the activities of the 845th Engineer Aviation Battalion, as they prepared to leave one station (England Air Force Base, Louisiana) for their new headquarters at Wolters Air Force Base in Texas.
There is a description of their drills, inspections, and preparations as well as an appendix with the original movement orders.
The motto beneath the shield translates: "We build a nest." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth46558/
- Palo Pinto County Star (Palo Pinto, Tex.), Vol. 80, No. 46, Ed. 1 Friday, May 10, 1957
A weekly newspaper from Palo Pinto, Texas that included local, state, and national news along with advertising. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth417295/
- Palo Pinto County Star (Palo Pinto, Tex.), Vol. 74, No. 4, Ed. 1 Friday, July 13, 1951
A weekly newspaper from Palo Pinto, Texas that included local, state, and national news along with advertising. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth417289/
- Palo Pinto County Star (Palo Pinto, Tex.), Vol. 74, No. 1, Ed. 1 Friday, June 22, 1951
A weekly newspaper from Palo Pinto, Texas that included local, state, and national news along with advertising. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth417283/
- The United States Army Welcomes You to its Newest Aviation Training Center, 13 July 1956
This pamphlet was a program for the activities surrounding the formal reconstitution of Camp Wolters as an Army installation. It includes a greeting from Colonel John L. Inskeep, a brief history of Camp Wolters, a list of the day's events, and two sketched maps of the camp and parade grounds. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth46560/
- [Inspiration Point]
The label on the photograph reads both "Possum Kingdom Dam" and "Inspiration Point". A. F. and Patsy Weaver are shown enjoying the view from Inspiration Point. A.F. Weaver himself took the photograph, using a tripod and camera timer,in the same vicinity where he had proposed to Patsy Weaver years before this photograph was taken. In the early part of the twentieth century,the internationally known evangelist, Billy Sunday, visited Mineral Wells. He was told about an outstanding view from a vantage point south of town. On seeing the vista for himself,the Rev. Sunday remarked it was truly an inspirational view. Since that time the viewpoint has been known as "Inspiration Point". This vista is seven miles south of Mineral Wells off US Highway 281, and approximately 40 miles below the Morris Sheppard Dam at Possum Kingdom Lake. It has been called one of the most beautiful scenic views in Texas. This picture has possibly been used in the course of the advertising of interesting things to see and do around Mineral Wells, which might explain the label attached to the photograph. Similarly captivating is a view from "Observation Point" the Dam at Possum Kingdom Lake. The two vistas, some 20 to 30 miles apart,overlook entirely different stretches of the Brazos, each with its own unique but spectacular view. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16255/
- The Burro, Yearbook of Mineral Wells High School, 1955
Yearbook for Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas includes photos of and information about the school, student body, teachers, and organizations. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth299189/
- The Burro, Yearbook of Mineral Wells High School, 1953
Yearbook for Mineral Wells High School in Mineral Wells, Texas includes photos of and information about the school, student body, teachers, and organizations. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth299188/
- [An Aerial View of Downtown Mineral Wells in 1954]
This is a picture of an aerial view of downtown Mineral Wells (taken from the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram, January 1954)at about South Oak Avenue, and looking north-northeast. Some of the buildings identifiable in the picture no longer exist. The Damron Hotel, at the middle left of the picture, burned in 1975. The Oxford Hotel/First National Bank building, one block east [right] of the Damron, near the center of the picture, burned in 1983. It has been replaced by Lynch Plaza. The Hexagon Hotel, in the upper left corner of the picture, (north and above the Crazy) was demolished in 1959. The Convention Center behind the Hexagon was demolished in 1976.
Landmarks still standing are: The 13-story (including a Roof Garden) Baker Hotel, dominating the upper right of the picture; The Crazy Hotel (now  a retirement home) at the upper left of the picture; and the old Post Office in the upper middle of the picture (between the Baker and Crazy Hotels), which now  houses the Woman's Club. The building across the street and to the south (this side of the Baker) was demolished to make room for the Mineral Wells Savings and Loan, which in turn was replaced by The First State Bank. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20391/
- Young Motor Co.
A text on the photograph identifies it as "May 1952-Grand Opening after fire of 1951,"/ "316 E. Hubbard Street," /"Photo by A. F. Weaver." This business was the local General Motors dealership and garage. It became Barnett-Young in late 1960's and in 1984 after Cecil Young's death it was Barnett Motor Co. The building is adjacent to the Baker Hotel parking garage, and, in 2007, it houses the H & H Tire Company. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth25055/