You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Decade: 1940-1949
[Lake Mineral Wells]

[Lake Mineral Wells]

Date: 1941?
Creator: Clarence Winfield Simonds
Description: This is a view from a spot near the dam looking across the lake to Ed Dismuke's Famous Water Company, where mineral water was piped to his drinking pavilion on NW 3rd Street. It was here also, that the Famous crystallizing plant, where "Pronto Lax" crystals were made, was located. Lake Pinto supplied water to the City of Mineral Wells from the time of its creation in 1902, until Rock Creek was dammed to form Lake Mineral Wells in Parker County in 1918, and completed in September of 1920. This photograph is taken from one of 17 (4X4) negatives in an envelope from Charles W. Simonds, addressed to A.F. Weaver Photography, and postmarked "Aug. 4, 1975."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Standard  [Well and Amusement Park]

Standard [Well and Amusement Park]

Date: 1942?
Creator: unknown
Description: Formerly the Vichy Well, it was re-named the Standard Well and Amusement Park. Note the large mineral water bottle sign in the lower right hand corner of the picture. The building was torn down during World War II, and replaced by USO Club. The North Oak Community Center is at this location as of 2008. Information about it was taken from A.F. Weaver "Time Was" page 67.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Gang Bus]

[The Crazy Gang Bus]

Date: 1940
Creator: unknown
Description: A radio show, broadcast at noon and advertising Crazy Water Crystals over the Texas Quality Network, became so popular that the radio gang found themselves in great demand for personal appearances. To accommodate their audiences, the band traveled in their own bus, shown here. On the back of the photograph is stamped "A. F. Weaver Photography 412 N.Oak Avenue Mineral Wells, Texas 76067." Dated: 1940. Please note: ZIP codes were not in existence in 1940. Its appearance here with the date of 1940 cannot be easily explained.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Crystal Bottling Plant]

[The Crazy Crystal Bottling Plant]

Date: 1940?
Creator: unknown
Description: A picture of the interior of the Crazy Bottling Plant, ladies are shown bottling Crazy Fiz, a copyrighted beverage created by infusing cooled mineral water with carbon dioxide. The men shown here appear to be checking the process in preparation for the bottling of the Crazy Fiz, while the ladies bottle and crate the finished product for shipment. Note the plant's scrupulous cleanliness, and the fact that all employees are dressed in white.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Water Company - Stock Certificate]

[The Crazy Water Company - Stock Certificate]

Date: September 23, 1948
Creator: unknown
Description: A certificate for 250 shares of Capital Stock in the Crazy Water Company, that once belonged to Boyce Ditto is shown here.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Water Crystal Factory]

[The Crazy Water Crystal Factory]

Date: 1940?
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is an interior view of the Crazy Crystals Plant. "Crazy Water" was evaporated, and the dissolved solids precipitated as crystals which were then packaged and shipped all over the United States, Canada, England and Australia. By dissolving the Crazy Water crystals in water, the purchaser was able to reconstitute "mineral water" and secure the benefits of one of the earliest "instant" beverages without the added cost of the supplying company's shipping water.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 [The Crazy Laundry]

[The Crazy Laundry]

Date: 1940
Creator: unknown
Description: In the 1930's, the Carlsbad Building (once a spa for taking the mineral waters. See "The Texas Carlsbad" for details)was taken over by the Crazy Hotel for use as a laundry. Note the painted windows that still proclaim the waters, and the original Texas Carlsbad building. The Panel truck in front was driven by L. C. Ely and the other truck was driven by his father R. C. Ely. This picture was taken sometime in 1940.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Bottling Plant]

[The Crazy Bottling Plant]

Date: 1940
Creator: unknown
Description: The Crazy Water Bottling Plant and Crazy Water Tower are shown here. The plant was built in 1919 at a cost of $85,000, and is located at 300 NW 7th Street. The location was once the original site of the Sangcura-Sprudel Wells Pavilion. The Sangcura-Sprudel Pavilion was moved and converted into a rooming house, which burned in 1973. Notice the home in the background. The date on back of photograph is given as 1940.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Hotel Pavilion]

[The Crazy Hotel Pavilion]

Date: 1940
Creator: unknown
Description: A handwritten note on the back of the picture identifies this as "Crazy Hotel Pavilion 1940 Cigar Stand and Shine Stand." Please notice Leon Cross, the "shoe-shine boy", who operated the stand for years, in the white shirt to the left of the Shine Stand. This pavilion is off the hotel lobby, behind and west of the elevators of the second Crazy Hotel. A fire started March 15, 1925, in the drugstore next to the bath house of the first Crazy Hotel which adjoined the Crazy Flats (second Crazy Pavilion). The fire destroyed all the businesses in this city block. The second Crazy Hotel opened in 1927, and incorporated all of the previous enterprises into one building covering the entire city block. The drinking bar, from which Boyce Ditto served mineral water for many years, is at the opposite end of the pavilion, left of the shoe-shine and Cigar Stand, with its striped awning. In its heyday during the health-spa era of the "City built on Water," the bar served four different strengths of mineral water. The bar is still in existence today although inactive. The mezzanine around the drinking pavilion was lined with offices, primarily those of doctors.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The First Air-Mail Service to Mineral Wells]

[The First Air-Mail Service to Mineral Wells]

Date: 1947
Creator: unknown
Description: The first batch of airmail arrived in Mineral Wells, 1947, 6:30 pm. Individuals from left are: John Chamberlain, Manager of the Chamber of Commerce, Fred Parnell, Bill Cameron, of the Index, Fred Brown, Manager of the Baker Hotel, Mayor John Miller, an unidentified pilot, D.C. Harris, Postmaster (holding the mail bag) and R. T. Jones. The airplane in the background, a Cessna 190, was probably the one used to transport the mail. It appeared to be a cold day, as the officials are all wearing coats. (A negative accompanying this picture depicted a "Christmas rush at the old Post Office")
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library