You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 County: Palo Pinto County, TX
The Last Days of Camp Wolters, 15 August 1946

The Last Days of Camp Wolters, 15 August 1946

Date: August 15, 1946
Creator: Coing, Edward E.
Description: This pamphlet describes the last eight months of Camp Wolters, during which time it was closed down, and its personnel were transferred to positions in other places. The notation "CW 41-46 (7)" invites interpretation.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Camp Wolters, Infantry Replacement Training Center, Mineral Wells, Texas

Camp Wolters, Infantry Replacement Training Center, Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This booklet gives an overview of the camp at Fort Wolters including the facilities, activities, and general rules. It also includes sketched maps of the camp.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Facts about the U. S. Army Replacement Center, Mineral Wells, Texas

Facts about the U. S. Army Replacement Center, Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: unknown
Creator: Mineral Wells Chamber of Commerce
Description: This item appears to be about the size of a bookmark. It contains a list of facts and statistics about the facilities and personnel at Camp Wolters in Mineral Wells, Texas.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Unit History of 845th Engineer Aviation Battalion [ From] 1 January 1956 to 29 February 1956

Unit History of 845th Engineer Aviation Battalion [ From] 1 January 1956 to 29 February 1956

Date: March 1956
Creator: Myers, William L.
Description: This document gives a narrative of the activities of the 845th Engineer Aviation Battalion, as they prepared to leave one station (England Air Force Base, Louisiana) for their new headquarters at Wolters Air Force Base in Texas. There is a description of their drills, inspections, and preparations as well as an appendix with the original movement orders. The motto beneath the shield translates: "We build a nest."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Aerial View of Camp Wolters, Texas

Aerial View of Camp Wolters, Texas

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: An aerial view of Camp Wolters is shown here, looking north. The main gate is just outside of the lowermost center of picture. Expansion of Camp Wolters began in 1939 as the nation prepared for World War II. This became the largest Infantry Replacement Training Center in the U.S. in the early part of the war. Nearly 500,000 troops went through the Railway Station in Mineral Wells during World War II. The base was also used for troop training during the Korean Police Action. Some 90% of the helicopter pilots during the Vietnam War received all or part of their pilot training here; and during this time, the name was changed from Camp Wolters to Fort Wolters. The Fort was decommissioned following the Viet Nam War, and is now the Mineral Wells Industrial Park, with several large manufacturing and service companies located in it. There is also the campus of a local branch of Weatherford College, and a pre-release facility for State Department of Corrections prisoners operated by Corrections Corporation of America. (This facility is in the group of former barracks shown in the far right of the picture.)
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Petroleum Products, The Texas Company

Petroleum Products, The Texas Company

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a picture of truck number D-677, bearing the identification of Texaco Petroleum Products, The Texas Company. A woman sits in the cab of the truck. The truck itself seems to date to about 1912.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Green Cottage]

[Green Cottage]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The "Green Cottage", located at NW 1st Avenue and NW 2nd Street, was built by Tom Green, owner of Green's Livery Stables. This photograph appears on page 102 of "Time Was in Mineral Wells..." by A. F. Weaver. [The people in picture remain unidentified.]
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
In The Good Old Days

In The Good Old Days

Date: 1920
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture is accompanied by a newspaper article that chronicles the activities of a group of men repairing the public highway between Mineral Wells and Palo Pinto in the year 1920--before the Texas Highway Department was created. Pictured are the following people: Harold Guinn on left with spade. J. L. Miller on truck fender. Standing, left to right: Red Taylor, George Oliver, Johnnie Liveley; Irl Preston and W. T. Tygrett shaking hands, with Joe Dillon standing between them. Also standing in the background are Clarence Wewerkka, W. C. Caldwell, W. I. Smith, and Lawrence Davis. The photograph is listed as courtesy of W. T. Tygrett.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
KORC 1140 On Your Dial

KORC 1140 On Your Dial

Date: 1946
Creator: unknown
Description: A picture of a KORC-KBS Microphone--"1140 on your dial" is shown here. Mineral Wells' radio history dates back to the 1930's when Mr. Hal Collins, owner of the Crazy Hotel, began sponsoring broadcasts originating in the hotel lobby. The radio station was founded and owned by Mr. Achilles Corcanges, and aired its first broadcast on December 5, 1946. Radio station KMWT-FM began broadcasting from Mineral Wells in 1970. The broadcasts were aired nationwide, at noon daily, over the Texas Quality Network. It advertised Crazy Water Crystals. Both stations' call letters were changed in 1983 to KJAS-AM and KYXS-FM. Many show business luminaries appeared on the shows. For instance, Mary Martin of Weatherford began her singing/acting career here.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Memorial Day Parade 1955

Memorial Day Parade 1955

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture shows a float, sponsored by the State National Bank, that depicts the raising the American flag on the island of Iwo Jima during WWII. The float is passing in front of the Oak Avenue Cafe at the corner of NE 2nd Street and Oak Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas. The G and A Feed store, pictured in the background, faces NE 2nd Street.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library