You limited your search to:
Boyce Ditto Public Library
- [The Hexagon Hotel Staircase]
The Hexagon Hotel had four staircases that spiraled down through its five floors. The interior trim was of "heart of pine"--a hardwood, despite its name. Pegs and square nails were used in the construction. The building was designed in a honeycomb pattern to maximize ventilation for the comfort of the guests.
See also: Hexagon Hotel [with history] for further details. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20477/
- [A Street Scene From the Early 20th Century]
A picture of North Oak Street, taken in the early 20th century is shown here. Cars are present on the street,(note the curb) which was paved in 1914. An electrical power line, in the left middle of the photograph, burned March 15, 1925. The Hexagon Hotel may be seen obscurely at the edge of the business district at the lower far right of the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20458/
- [A Women's Basketball Game at Elmhurst Park]
Games at Elmhurst Park in 1910 included women's basketball. The players here are wearing the typical basketball uniforms of "genteel ladies" of the day. Girls and ladies played on half of a normal basketball court with both teams shooting at the same basket. The game was restarted with a "jump ball" after each goal or foul (read: "Rule infraction"). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20403/
- [Looking North on Oak Avenue]
A photograph, looking north on Oak Street between 1914 and 1916. Work has started on paving the street. This picture is to be found on page 16 of the second edition of "Time Was in Mineral Wells..." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20406/
- [A Cabin on the East Mountain Stairs]
Shown here is a photographer's cabin about halfway up East Mountain. A staircase of (reportedly) 1,000 stairs ascend the "Mountain" from Oak Avenue. A cabin was built about halfway up these stairs (visible in the lower right corner of the picture) to provide tourists with photographic souvenir opportunities. This photograph comes from the Knights of Pythias 1925 album. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20404/
- [Art Weaver 's Studio]
This picture shows the 400 block of North Oak Avenue as it was in 1975. Art Weaver Photography (412 North Oak Avenue) is shown, adjacent to and right of the Grand theater (formerly the Crazy Theater). (This picture collection is part of the lifetime collection of pictures of Art Weaver.)
The Baker Hotel is in the background on the skyline at the far right of the picture.
NOTE: The camera angle and its lens make this picture appear to be a street corner. However, North Oak Avenue is actually a straight street, running North-South. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20436/
- [The Yeager Building]
Shown here is a stone building named "Yeager Block" on NE 1st Avenue. The building originally housed what was called, (by some) "The Lion Drug Store", and once had a metal statue of a lion on its roof. It housed the Baker Medical Supply Company at the time of the photograph. A retail store in the left (south) of the photograph was named "The Rural Route."
A handwritten date on the back is given as 1993.
The coffee shop H2JO was located on the north part of the building in 2006. Mike Chamberlain Photography was located on the north end of the block in 2006. It is now  closed. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20422/
- [The Crazy Hotel, East Side]
This photograph was taken in front of the Weaver Photography Studio (412 North Oak)in 1974, and looking west across Oak Street to the Crazy Hotel. The east-side entrance to hotel is clearly visible. The picture was taken before the widening of US Highway 281 through town in year 2005. The automobile at the curb was Mr. Weaver's.
The entrance to Crazy drinking water pavilion is on the far right of picture, through a hooded door, under a tile-covered shed roof. It is visible above the hood of the automobile in the foreground. The lobby entrance is beyond the pickup truck, under the "Crazy Hotel" sign. Steps that lead to Mr. Weaver's photography studio are on the front left of the picture.
The curved effect of the picture comes from the wide-angle, short focal-length lens that Mr. Weaver used to obtain the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20420/
- [The Lookout Tower of the Casino at Elmhurst Park]
This photograph appears on page 87 of "Time Was..." by A. F. Weaver. He writes, "The Casino had two lookout towers. Note the five persons in the tower." The people are not identified. The photograph appears to have been retouched for sharpness and contrast. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20400/
- Pictorial History of Fort Wolters, Volume 18: Awards for Best Mess Halls, Most Reenlistments, and Best Drivers
This volume includes photographs of personnel being honored for Best Mess Halls, Most Re-enlistments, and Best Drivers. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34981/
- [An Un-named Water Well]
Since the mineral water that was needed for commercial purposes did not flow in convenient springs, it was necessary to pump it out of the ground by way of wells. The wells were abandoned when the fad for the water evaporated. For example, what remains of this water well(only its head)is at the North West corner of NW 9th Street and NW 3rd Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39225/
- [Men With Bricks]
Thirty-one men in shirtsleeves, some with straw hats, some in fedoras, all in white shirts, most with ties, each proudly hold up a three-holed brick in front of an undistinguished-looking building that is flanked by a live-oak tree. A van with an obscure legend (perhaps a laundry)stands behind them. The occasion that prompted this photograph remains obscure. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39244/
- [The W.O.W. (Woodmen on the World) Drill Team]
This picture shows the Woodmen of the World Drill Team, taken on June 19, 1947. A caption on the back of the photograph reads:
WOW DRILL TEAM 6-19-47----
Herman Tolbert, Capt.--LEFT TO RIGHT: Front row: Walter Carter, Gene Lee, Jimmy Brandenburg, Charlie Davis, Bill Teichman, Idys Cox, Jr., Boyce Harvey, Billy Brooks.
Back Row: Melton Brewton, Walter Moore, Hayden Hughes, Bazil Brewton, Unknown [heavily underlined, with small lacuna, also underlined, following] Roy Alderson, Roy Brewton and Eldred Fryer.
A further caption, rotated 90 degrees to the first reads: "Picture taken in Convention Hall."
On the front of the photograph is handwritten: "phillips [sic] photog-aphic [sic] Service
Abilene, Texas" in white ink.
The photograph appears in A.F. Weaver's "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells" on page 165. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39238/
- [Bank of Mineral Wells]
This picture shows the interior of the Bank of Mineral Wells. Collie Smith, L.E. Hamen, and someone named only "O'Neal" are shown in the cages. The bank went out of business in 1924. The building was then used by Ball Drugs, and then by Massengale's Appliances. The building was eventually torn down, to make room for a parking in the downtown area.
It is featured in "Time was in Mineral Wells" on page 148. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39209/
- [A Ladies' Athletic Team]
Nine ladies in uniform (?), with kerchiefs on their heads, are shown seated on a rug in front of what is presumed to be a painted background. The basketball in front of the center-most lady is marked "'14". They are, perhaps a ladies' basketball team. Further information concerning them is lacking. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39253/
- Souvenir Views of Mineral Wells, Texas
Shown here is a bottle-shaped souvenir of Mineral Wells. It consists of fourteen folios, showing various views of the attractions found in Mineral Wells. The clothing of the people photographed suggests a date of the early twentieth century. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39258/
- [Mineral Wells' Municipal Airport]
An aerial View of Mineral Wells Municipal Airport and Downing Heliport is shown here. Further information about them is not yet available. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39203/
- [The First National Bank]
The First National Bank was organized about 1900 by Cicero Smith. It was located on the corner of Mesquite & Throckmorton Streets (Now,  Southeast 1st Avenue and Northeast 1st Streets). The Index Printing Company is visible in the rear of the building. Fourteen men (and no women) are shown around the building, all dressed in three-piece suits--including the two lounging on the steps of the Index.
The picture is featured in "Time Was in Mineral Wells" on page 146. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39207/
- Crazy Crystals in Parade 1936
This photograph shows two vehicles in the Crazy Crystals Parade in 1936. One of the vehicles (a van) is decorated with Crazy Crystals Shipping Boxes. It is covered with streamers on the hood, door handle, the running board, and all the tires--including its spare. The car following it is black with white panels in the doors. It also has streamers on the hood. Apart from the printed legend on the base of the photograph, there is no further information available about this photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39220/
- [Fishing at Lake Mineral Wells]
Fishermen stand below a cataract of the spillway of Lake Mineral Wells. The photograph was taken in 1938. On the reverse of the picture is the and-written legend: Picture taken by A. F. Weaver. This picture is featured in "Time Was in Mineral Wells...." on page 112. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39229/
- MINERAL WELLS TEXAS CARLSBAD WATER
This picture appears to be a label taken from a container of mineral water sold by the Texas Carlsbad Water Company. The label describes the water as "Purgative" and "Diuretic." DIRECTIONS state further: The average person requires from 8 to 12 glasses per day, but there are those who need less, and others for whom this quantity will not suffice. Hence drink such quantity as gives desired effect, be it small or great. One or two glasses taken hot, half hour before breakfast, will be found very effective.
The label ends with the legend: This Label Censored [sic] by the Parker-Palo Pinto Co. Medical Society. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39227/
- [People Standing Around a Table]
Twenty unidentified people of all ages--one a babe in arms--in holiday clothes stand around two tables that have been joined together to make one. Chairs about the table are mismatched. An open Victrola stands to one side. Naked light bulbs dangle from the ceiling. One door and two windows are visible. The site of the occasion (and the occasion itself) are unfortunately unknown. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39257/
- Pictorial History of Fort Wolters, Volume 19: Foreign Students
This volume features photographs of foreign military students attending the U.S. Army Primary Helicopter Training School. Students came from Australia, United Kingdom, Burma, Chile, France, Germany, Guatemala, Indonesia, Iran, Italy, Laos, Malaysia, Mexico, Pakistan, Peru, Turkey, and Vietnam. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34985/
- Pictorial History of Fort Wolters, Volume 20: 697th Engineer Company, U.S. Army Reserve Units, 355th Engineer Battalion, 931st Engineer Group, 362nd Civil Affairs Units
This volume features the following: The 697th Engineer Company, U.S. Army Reserve Units, the 355th Engineer Battalion, the 931st Engineer Group and the 362nd Civil Affairs Units. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34980/
- Pictorial History of Fort Wolters, Volume 16: Historic
This volume includes photographs of local citizens, pictures of the Possum Kingdom dam, and a record of a visit to the Fort from [then] Senator Lyndon B. Johnson. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34983/
- Pictorial History of Fort Wolters, Volume 22: Enlisted Photos
This volume contains photographs of enlisted personnel. It features ceremonies, promotions, and awards. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34978/
- Pictorial History of Fort Wolters, Volume 21: Visitors
This volume includes photographs of visitors to Fort Wolters. Images include Dwight D. Eisenhower, Lyndon B. Johnson, several generals, and assorted dignitaries. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34979/
- Pictorial History of Fort Wolters, Volume 23: Miscellaneous
This volume includes photographs of ceremonies, cake cuttings, recreational events, holidays, and other activities. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34977/
- Pictorial History of Fort Wolters, Volume 15: U.S. Army Hospital, Army Nurses, Beach Army Hospital, American Red Cross, Grey Ladies, Red Cross Volunteers, Dental Clinic
This volume includes photographs of the U.S. Army Hospital, Army Nurses, the Beach Army Hospital, the American Red Cross, the Grey Ladies, Red Cross Volunteers, and the Dental Clinic. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34984/
- Pictorial History of Fort Wolters, Volume 17: Aircraft Airports
This volume includes photographs of the Mineral Wells Municipal Airport, maps, illustrations of aircraft, and articles on the Whirlybird, the Bell H-13 Helicopter, the OH-23 Raven the H-23D, the TH-55A Osage and the Hover Simulator. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth34982/
- [The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 7 of 11: Frame and Rubble]
The First Baptist Church's second building was built in 1920, and used until 1967. It was demolished to build the third, and current, church on the same site.
Please see photograph number 1 for details. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29909/
- [The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 6 0f 11: Frame ]
The second home of the congregation of the First Baptist Church was built in 1920; and used until 1967, at which time it was demolished. The current First Baptist Church is the third one built in the same location.
Please see photograph number 1 for details. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29910/
- [Poston's Dry Goods - 3 of 15: Will Poston Inside Cashier Station]
Will Poston, seated at the cashier's station in his store, Poston Dry Goods, located at 107 N. Oak Avenue, in 1975. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29954/
- [The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 5 of 11: Looking Northeast.]
The church building, shown here as being demolished, was built in 1920; and was replaced in 1967 by the present church building. It is the third Baptist church built on this site.
Please see photograph number 1 for details. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29911/
- [Poston's Dry Goods, 8 of 15: Royal Society Display Case]
The Royal Society embroidery and tatting thread display case with its owner, Will Poston standing next to it, is shown in the photograph.
Poston Dry Goods stood at 107 N. Oak Avenue, in Mineral Wells, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29933/
- [Poston's Dry Goods, 6 of 15: With Display Case]
Will Poston stands with an antique [in 2008] thread (Please not the markings, "Clark", "O.N.T." "White" "Colors" on the drawers) cabinet in his store, Poston Dry Goods (located at 107 N. Oak Avenue). The year of the picture is 1975. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29939/
- [Crazy Water Company Railroad Cars]
Men are shown here loading boxes of Crazy Crystals onto railroad boxcars. Crazy Water Crystals were shipped nationwide in response to demand created by radio advertising. This scene is typical of the activity required to load boxcars to meet the demand for "instant Mineral Water." Printed on back of the photograph is: "Loading Crazy Crystals 1930." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29972/
- [Poston's Dry Goods, 9 of 15: Outside of Store Front]
Will Poston stands in front of his store, Poston Dry Goods (located at 107 N. Oak Avenue). Poston's was the largest department store in Mineral Wells after the Howard Brothers Department Stores discontinued operations. Many of the glass show cases in Poston's came from the earlier Howard Brothers store. These cases are on display in the store.
The store itself is now the Mineral Wells branch of the Palo Pinto County courthouse. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29928/
- [Poston's Dry Goods, 15 of 15; Dry Goods case]
A sewing-thread display case, bearing the Corlicelli brand name, inside the Poston Dry Goods store (located at 107 N. Oak Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas). Poston's was the largest dry goods store in town after the Howard Brothers Department Stores discontinued operations. Many of the display cases in Poston's (perhaps this was one of them) had come from the earlier Howard Brothers' store. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29924/
- [First Christian Church]
Typed on the back photograph is: THIS PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN BY A.F. WEAVER 1901 N. W. 6TH AVE. MINERAL WELLS, TEXAS DATE JUL 27, 1964. It is a view of the limestone church occupying the site of the former Gibson Well Park and Pavilion. Some of the rock used in this church came from owners of the historic Rock Pens on Dillingham Prairie. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29977/
- [The Damron Hotel Fire, 4 of 21, Fire Inside the Structure]
This is another view of the spectacular fire that consumed the Damron Hotel on December 22, 1975. The hotel was built as the Colonial Hotel in 1906 by rancher J. T. Holt for his second wife. The name was changed in 1917 when the hotel was traded to Agnew and Bessie Damron in exchange for a ranch.
The fire received extensive photographic coverage. Note the height of the flames in this picture, taken in the later stages of the fire. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29900/
- [Crazy Crystals]
Men and women are shown here packaging Crazy Water Crystals. Mineral water was evaporated, and the resulting crystal deposits were gathered and packaged in various sizes for shipment throughout the United States. Written on back of this photograph is: "Pkg Crazy Crystals 1930's" and the name "Buster." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29969/
- [The Crazy Gang Bus]
A radio show, broadcast at noon and advertising Crazy Water Crystals over the Texas Quality Network, became so popular that the radio gang found themselves in great demand for personal appearances. To accommodate their audiences, the band traveled in their own bus, shown here.
On the back of the photograph is stamped "A. F. Weaver Photography 412 N.Oak Avenue Mineral Wells, Texas 76067." Dated: 1940.
Please note: ZIP codes were not in existence in 1940. Its appearance here with the date of 1940 cannot be easily explained. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29973/
- THE CRAZY RADIO GANG
The Crazy Radio Gang broadcast music on the Texas Quality Network Monday through Friday at 12:45 P.M.
Pictured are: HAL H. COLLINS "One Man's Opinion", FRANK DINKINS "Dink", FRANCIS QUINN "February", FRANK McCORDIE "Great Lover" JOHNNY JORDAN "Uncle Oscar", CONRAD BRADY Master of Ceremonies, GUY WOODWARD "Curly", MAURICE PENDERY "Brother Pink Nose", DALE WOODWARD "Pee Wee", JACK AMLUNG "Musical Director", SUGAR CANE and February (in black face).
Hal Collins was the manager of the Crazy Hotel in the early 1930's when a salesman convinced him that he could sell a boxcar-load of "Crazy Water Crystals" a week if he would advertise them on the new-fangled radio. The broadcasts originated in the lobby of the Crazy Hotel, and became popular beyond all expectations. Orders for the mineral water crystals filled many carloads per week, and they were shipped to all areas of the country. Demand was so great that it exceeded the capacity of the crystallizing plant.
A second source of mineral water was found, but it did not match the original patented composition.
The company never fully recovered from the heavy fine levied on it by the Food and Drug Administration in the early 1930's. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29975/
- [Poston's Dry Goods, 7 of 15: With Display Case, Drawers Open]
Will Poston stands in the sewing department of his store, Poston Dry Goods (located at 107 N. Oak Avenue). The display case is open to show the different types and colors of sewing thread in stock. Colored threads were separated from white for easier selection, and both were available in various brands, spooled quantities and thread sizes. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29937/
- [The Damron Hotel Fire, 2 of 21: View South/Southeast ]
The Colonial Hotel was built in 1906 by Mr. J. T. Holt for his second wife. Mr. Holt also owned a hardware store on S. Oak at the back of the hotel. The name of the hotel was changed to The Damron Hotel around 1917 when Mr. Holt traded it to Agnew and Bessie Damron in exchange for a ranch.
A hardware store, hard by, was sold to Mr. Holt's manager, John Davidson. The Damron Hotel, located at 109 W. Hubbbard Street, along with Davidson Hardware, burned completely on December 22, 1975. Please note the Christmas decoration, symbol of the season, on the telephone pole above the fire truck. The main entrance to the hotel is faintly visible through the dense smoke to the rear of the fire truck. The Crazy Hotel can be seen at the lower left edge of the picture. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29903/
- [The Demolition of the First Baptist Church, 9 of 11: Workers]
Workers are shown helping to demolish the First Baptist Church building in 1967. It was built in 1920. The current building is the third First Baptist Church built on this site.
Please see photograph number 1 for details. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29907/
- Methodist Church - Baker Gardens - East Mountain
This photograph appears to be taken from a picture post-card, which includes the old Methodist Church, the Baker Hotel Garden, the Baker Water Storage Building, and the Welcome Sign on East Mountain. It is a rare view.
The home of Druggist Dr. C. F. Yeager on NE 2nd Street in the picture was still standing at the time of this picture.
During construction of his Hotel, Mr. Baker visited Hot Springs, Arkansas; and he was so impressed with the Arlington Hotel that he stopped building construction, and moved the hotel a block further west. He converted the basement, already built, into a swimming pool (only the second hotel known to have a pool at the time), and an underground laundry.
The Methodist church has since been rebuilt, the water storage building has been removed, and the "Welcome" sign has been relocated further east to greet visitors from its new location overlooking Elmwood Cemetery. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29980/
- [Poston's Dry Goods, 12 of 15: Inside View of his Store]
Will Poston stands in his department store, preparing to dispatch a container to his cashier's department. A view of the boot department, with a typical stock of Western boots, is displayed. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29946/
- [Crazy Fiz]
Products were developed to satisfy the public's search for health during the heyday of the Mineral Wells Health Industry. One of these was Crazy Fiz. Carbon dioxide was infused into mineral water under pressure to create a "Sparkling water" drink labeled "Crazy Fiz."
The women in this photograph of the Crazy Water Crystal plant are packaging the Crazy Fiz for distribution. On the back of the photograph is printed "Crazy Fiz 1930's." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29971/