Dear Portal friends: Do you enjoy having history at your fingertips? We’ve appreciated your support over the years, and need your help to keep history alive. Here’s the deal: we’ve received a Challenge Grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities. Now it’s time to keep our word and raise matching funds for the Cathy Nelson Hartman Portal to Texas History Endowment. If even half the people who use the Portal this month give $5, we’d meet our $1.5 million goal immediately! All donations are tax-deductible and support Texas history: yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

Not Now

  You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Language: No Language
[Construction of Oxford Hotel]

[Construction of Oxford Hotel]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Pictured here is the construction of the foundation of the Oxford Hotel (including the First State Bank & Trust Company) in 1906. The hotel was located at Oak and Hubbard Streets. H. N. Frost, father of Cleo T. Bowman and grandfather of Frost Bowman, built the Oxford and founded the bank, which was located on the west side of the building. Some few of the buildings pictured are still [2014] standing. The hotel was owned by the estate until the late 1920's. The Oxford Hotel met its doom by fire in later years. This photograph is featured in "Time was in Mineral Wells" on page 147.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Demolition of the Convention Hall, 4 of 5]

[The Demolition of the Convention Hall, 4 of 5]

Date: 1976
Creator: unknown
Description: A holograph legend on the back of this picture states: "Tearing down Convention Hall 1976." The photograph illustrates the demolition of the building in full swing. Only the skeleton of the roof remains, and the walls are in ruins. This picture appears in Weaver's "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells" on page 186.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Bill Cameron]

[Bill Cameron]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: "Bill Cameron at his desk in the [old] Mineral Wells Index." The newspaper office was located at 207 NW 1st Avenue.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Road to Mineral Wells]

[The Road to Mineral Wells]

Date: 1936
Creator: unknown
Description: The 1936 opening of the brick highway from Mineral Wells to Weatherford, now known as Highway US 180. This was a Works Project Administration (WPA) highway, built during the early "Great Depression" recovery period. The photograph is looking west toward Mineral Wells, and the Baker Hotel may be seen faintly on the horizon at left center of the picture.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Brick Highway Between Mineral Wells and Weatherford]

[The Brick Highway Between Mineral Wells and Weatherford]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The 1936 ribbon-cutting ceremony to open the new brick highway between Weatherford and Mineral Wells, now U.S. Highway 180, is depicted here. This photograph was taken just seconds before the photograph found on page 97 of A. F. Weaver's book, "TIME WAS..." 2nd edition. Some of the dignitaries in the photograph are Allen Wallace, W.A. Ross, Pat Corrigan and Paul Woods. The new highway to Weatherford began at the 900 block of East Hubbard, and the brick was hand-laid by two strong Negro men.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Two Women in Wylie Park]

[Two Women in Wylie Park]

Date: 1914?
Creator: unknown
Description: Two women are pictured strolling in Wylie Park. Notes on back of the photograph read: "Corner of N. Oak and N.E. 1st Street, the West side of Wylie Park, a popular place for strolling." N. Oak Avenue is in background, with North to the right in the picture. Hazelwood Drugs is on the west side of Oak Ave, opposite the park. Mineral Wells. The streets of Mineral Wells were paved in the summer of 1914. A wagon can be seen traveling north on Oak Avenue. What appears to be a work crew may be seen at the corner indicates that the finishing touches may have been in the process of being applied to the paving as the picture was taken.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Discus Throw at Elmhurst Park]

[A Discus Throw at Elmhurst Park]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph appears to be of a discus-throwing competition at Elmhurst Park. ("Elmhurst Park" is written on the back of the photograph.) A gentleman on the right, leaning on the fence, appears to be holding a tape measure. Please note the spectators on the roof of the building in the background.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Star House]

[The Star House]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The Star House was built about 1900, and owned by Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Ramsey. This 34-room hotel, situated at 315 Coke Street,(since re-named NW 2nd Street), was one of Mineral Wells' early hotels. The Star House also operated the Star Well, located 2 blocks east of the hotel on Mesquite Street (now NE 2nd Avenue), north of the current Baker Hotel. The Star House was destroyed by fire.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Unloading Grain From Box Cars]

[Unloading Grain From Box Cars]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture depicts men unloading grain from box cars at the Mineral Wells railroad yards into horse-drawn wagons. During the days if the Great Depression years of the 1930's, grain and cotton were the principal cash crops of farmers around Mineral Wells, and Mineral Wells' WMW&NW Railroad was a prime shipper of the crops to market. This photograph is featured on page 92 of A.F. Weaver's "Time Was in Mineral Wells," second edition.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Panoramic View of Mineral Wells]

[A Panoramic View of Mineral Wells]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The southern half of a two-part panoramic view of downtown Mineral Wells, Texas, taken about 1910 occupies this photograph. In this view, the Crazy Flats drinking pavilion is seen at the upper left;First Methodist Church near the skyline to the right of the Crazy Flats; and the First Presbyterian Church (domed building) at the upper far right of the picture. The houses shown are predominantly in the Queen Anne style--a popular one at the time of the photograph. This picture occurs on page 133 of A.F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells", first edition, 1975.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Beta Preview