You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Early Couple]

[An Early Couple]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture is probably a photographic portrait of Col. and Mrs. W.R. Austin, mentioned on page 54 of "Time Was in Mineral Wells..." second edition. He established the Austin Well where "Blind Nellie" was employed. See also, [Col. and Mrs. W. Riess Austin]
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Early Delivery Truck]

[An Early Delivery Truck]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: An early delivery truck, whose wording (on the side reads) "R.O. Norman, Tailor, Cleaning & Pressing, phone 514", is shown here.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Entrance to Camp Wolters]

[The Entrance to Camp Wolters]

Date: 1935?
Creator: unknown
Description: Found on page 158 of "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells" by A. F. Weaver, the caption to this picture reads, "Entrance to the original Camp Wolters around the 1930's. This entrance was located near and behind the present National Guard Armory." The Texas National Guard 112th Cavalry Service Troop maintained an armory on West Mountain, from a time before 1923. The hill itself was dubbed "Cavalry Hill." The Service Troop was later re-named 124th Cavalry, Troop F--which attained to fame as part of the task force that cleared the Burma Road in World War II. Camp Wolters was built for summer training of the Texas National Guard in 1927. It was to be used for a minimum of three weeks each year. The famous CCC (The Civilian Conservation Corps) stayed in the camp in 1930, and built several of the rock structures in the camp--and also around Mineral Wells. The original site had sen many uses: It was a P.O.W. camp for German prisoners taken during World War II; it was Texas National Guard property; and it was later given over to commercial use. An embedded star that was once on the headquarters of the parade ground of the original ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Donkey Trail up East Mountain - 1901]

[The Donkey Trail up East Mountain - 1901]

Date: June 11, 1901
Creator: unknown
Description: A trail ride, going up East Mountain on burros, is pictured here. The participants listed on back of picture are: "Jessie Padgett - Dallas, Mr. Oscar Levin, Miss [unidentified], Mr. Coy Wimberly - Tyler, Miss [unidentified], Miss Burriss - Terrel, Mr. Jacobs - Atlanta, Lilian Webster - Dallas, Raymond Caruth - Dallas, Johnetta Armstrong - Dallas, Mr. Cousins - Tyler, Maggie Street - Dallas, Katie Elliott - Dallas, Miss Hyman - Min. Wells, Mr. Nance - Dallas, Mr. Brown - Tyler, Mary Roberts - Terrel, Will Caruty - Dallas. Mineral Wells, June 11, 1901." Burro rides on the Donkey Trail up East Mountain were a popular pastime around the turn of the twentieth century.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Early Car at the Crazy Well Flats]

[An Early Car at the Crazy Well Flats]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Frank Richards (The driver, identified as "Dad"), manager of the Star Well in Mineral Wells, sits in an automobile in front of the Crazy Flats sometime before 1912. Dust on the car, extra spare tires, and a sign on the spare, indicate they have just completed a "Pathfinder Endurance" run for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. The driver and passenger are dressed in typical "duster" clothing for cross-country travel. A cigar sign in the window indicates this was the drug store, then located in the southeast corner of the Crazy Flats. A sign on the hotel also advertises rooms for rent in addition to its being a mineral water drinking pavilion.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[An Early Bird's-Eye-View of Mineral Wells]

[An Early Bird's-Eye-View of Mineral Wells]

Date: 1882?
Creator: unknown
Description: A very early panoramic view of Mineral Wells (taken around 1882) from East Mountain and looking southwest is illustrated here. Locations identified by numbers are: 1: Judge Lynch's cabin, now Lynch Plaza at S. Oak Avenue and E. Hubbard Street; 2: The Mesquite Street well, middle of NE 1st Avenue (the second well in town, now [2008] abandoned); 3:The current center of downtown Mineral Wells, showing the intersection of Oak Avenue (US 281) and Hubbard Street (US Highway 180); 4: The current Fire and Police Departments; 5: S. Oak Avenue; 6: The Southern House Hotel; 7: The present "Business District", NE 1st Avenue; and 8: N. Oak Avenue (a residential area at the time.)
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Fair Grounds and Race Track, Mineral Wells, Texas

The Fair Grounds and Race Track, Mineral Wells, Texas

Date: 1900?
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is a picture of a dirt horse-race track and fair grounds,located southeast of town. It is not known if thoroughbred horses raced, but sulkies are known to have raced here. This course was the first of its kind in Mineral Wells. Another track was constructed at Elmhurst Park, in the southeast part of town, after this one was torn down.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Fire in Mineral Wells, Texas]

[A Fire in Mineral Wells, Texas]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture is probably a photograph of the fire which destroyed the Delaware Hotel (Formerly known as the St. Nicholas Hotel) on North Oak Avenue at NE 3rd Street. The open ditch in the right foreground shows that the streets were not paved, indicating that the fire occurred prior to 1914. The pump-and-ladder fire wagon used to battle the fire was drawn by two beautiful white horses named Joe and Frank. The hotel was never rebuilt. The standing building in the photograph is Mineral Wells Grain and Feed, but its location has not been confirmed. The signification of the number "6" on the picture invites conjecture.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The First Air-Mail Service to Mineral Wells]

[The First Air-Mail Service to Mineral Wells]

Date: 1947
Creator: unknown
Description: The first batch of airmail arrived in Mineral Wells, 1947, 6:30 pm. Individuals from left are: John Chamberlain, Manager of the Chamber of Commerce, Fred Parnell, Bill Cameron, of the Index, Fred Brown, Manager of the Baker Hotel, Mayor John Miller, an unidentified pilot, D.C. Harris, Postmaster (holding the mail bag) and R. T. Jones. The airplane in the background, a Cessna 190, was probably the one used to transport the mail. It appeared to be a cold day, as the officials are all wearing coats. (A negative accompanying this picture depicted a "Christmas rush at the old Post Office")
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The First Boy Scouts in Mineral Wells, 1902]

[The First Boy Scouts in Mineral Wells, 1902]

Date: 1902
Creator: unknown
Description: A note on back of this photograph states, "1902, 1st Boy Scouts in Mineral Wells, organized by Frank Creighton (L) met in old Sangcura Sprudel Well Pavilion." The picture was taken in front of Green's Transfer Building. This photograph possibly shows the youth division of a local lodge, probably Shriners. Please note the military-style stripes and guns. This historic photograph captures a precursor to the Boy Scout movement, that started six years later in England. It spread to America in 1910 to generate an interest in outdoor and educational activities among teen-age boys.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library