You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Decade: 1930-1939
 [Crazy  Sign, 2 of 2]

[Crazy Sign, 2 of 2]

Date: 1933?
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture shows a post-card of the sign. The Crazy sign was constructed in 1933 over East Hubbard Street, (Bankhead Highway--later US Highway 180) in the center of Mineral Wells. It was quite a landmark since it was one of only two signs allowed by by the Texas Department of Transportation to span a highway maintained by the state agency. The sign was torn down on December 24, 1958 (No explanation was offered for the rush to remove it on Christmas Eve.) and it was later salvaged for scrap. Information about it was taken from A.F. Weavers "Time Was...", on page 30.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Crazy Water Bottling Company]

[The Crazy Water Bottling Company]

Date: 1930/1939
Creator: unknown
Description: A note on back of this photograph states, "Crazy Fiz, 1930's." It apparently shows a section of the Crazy Water Bottling Company, where carbonation of the mineral water converted it to a "Crazy Fiz", a product similar to the popular carbonated soft drinks of the day. It was also bottled and packaged for shipment here.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Crazy Water Company Railroad Cars]

[Crazy Water Company Railroad Cars]

Date: 1930
Creator: unknown
Description: Men are shown here loading boxes of Crazy Crystals onto railroad boxcars. Crazy Water Crystals were shipped nationwide in response to demand created by radio advertising. This scene is typical of the activity required to load boxcars to meet the demand for "instant Mineral Water." Printed on back of the photograph is: "Loading Crazy Crystals 1930."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Crystal Plant]

[Crystal Plant]

Date: 1930
Creator: unknown
Description: A picture of the Crystal Production Line is shown here. On the back of the photograph is typed: CRYSTALS WERE THEN PACKED INTO GREEN AND WHITE BOXES AND RUN DOWN THE CONVEYOR WHERE GIRLS PLACED THE LIDS. AT THE END OF THE BELT A MACHINE WRAPPED THE BOX IN CELLOPHANE. PHOTO 1930
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Drinking Pavilion in the Crazy Hotel]

[Drinking Pavilion in the Crazy Hotel]

Date: 1930/1939
Creator: unknown
Description: A caption on the back of the photograph states, "This picture, taken in the 1930's, shows the drinking pavilion in the [lacuna] Crazy Hotel." Recognizable are Boyce Ditto, standing third from right; N.E. Adams, last on the right, standing reading a newspaper; and Mrs. Veale, mother of Cecil Young, seated on left. Many people came to Mineral Wells to bathe and to "Drink their way to health" at the many wells and pavilions that catered to the public. This drinking pavilion is still extant, just off the lobby of the "Crazy" (now [2008] a retirement home), but it no longer dispenses mineral water.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Entrance to Camp Wolters]

[The Entrance to Camp Wolters]

Date: 1935?
Creator: unknown
Description: Found on page 158 of "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells" by A. F. Weaver, the caption to this picture reads, "Entrance to the original Camp Wolters around the 1930's. This entrance was located near and behind the present National Guard Armory." The Texas National Guard 112th Cavalry Service Troop maintained an armory on West Mountain, from a time before 1923. The hill itself was dubbed "Cavalry Hill." The Service Troop was later re-named 124th Cavalry, Troop F--which attained to fame as part of the task force that cleared the Burma Road in World War II. Camp Wolters was built for summer training of the Texas National Guard in 1927. It was to be used for a minimum of three weeks each year. The famous CCC (The Civilian Conservation Corps) stayed in the camp in 1930, and built several of the rock structures in the camp--and also around Mineral Wells. The original site had sen many uses: It was a P.O.W. camp for German prisoners taken during World War II; it was Texas National Guard property; and it was later given over to commercial use. An embedded star that was once on the headquarters of the parade ground of the original ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Famous Mineral Water

Famous Mineral Water

Date: 1930?
Creator: unknown
Description: The Famous Water Company, founded by Ed Dismuke (still located at 215 NW 6th Street) has been restored, and still [2007] sells mineral water. The large concrete bottle depicts the original shape of the container of the product sold. Dismuke also established a plant on the east bank of Lake Pinto, west of Mineral Wells, to manufacture his "PRONTO-LAX" Crystals. He organized the Mineral Wells Lakewood Scenic Railway in partnership with local banker Cicero Smith, whose gasoline-powered "Dinky Cars" operated quarter-hourly between Lake Pinto and Mineral Wells from 1905 to 1909. The Famous Water Company currently sells three grades of water: Regular, full-strength mineral water; deep (400 ft.) well water; and deep-well water that has been ionized and filtered by reverse osmosis.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Fishing at Lake Mineral Wells]

[Fishing at Lake Mineral Wells]

Date: 1938
Creator: unknown
Description: Fishermen stand below a cataract of the spillway of Lake Mineral Wells. The photograph was taken in 1938. On the reverse of the picture is the and-written legend: Picture taken by A. F. Weaver. This picture is featured in "Time Was in Mineral Wells...." on page 112.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Four golfers at Mineral Wells Country Club - 1930's]

[Four golfers at Mineral Wells Country Club - 1930's]

Date: 1930?
Creator: unknown
Description: Four unidentified men in golfing knickers (apparently from the early 1930's) stand in front of, and across the lake from the original Holiday Hills Country Club house. They are putting on what is now the Number 12 green.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Grande Courts]

[The Grande Courts]

Date: 1930?
Creator: unknown
Description: A tourist court, built about 1930 by Charlie E. Turner, Harold Dennis, and Clarence Hunt is depicted here. It was located in the 1000 block of West Hubbard Street. Grande [pronounced "Grand-dee"--at least in Mineral Wells] Courts was a national chain of franchise motels. This picture appears in A.F. Weaver's book, "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells", second edition, page 99. The sign reads "Grande Courts Tourist Apts."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library