You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Decade: 1970-1979
 Language: No Language
[Dedication of the "Little Rock Schoolhouse" Museum:  A Marker is Unveiled]

[Dedication of the "Little Rock Schoolhouse" Museum: A Marker is Unveiled]

Date: April 14, 1978
Creator: unknown
Description: A marker commemorating the conversion of Mineral Wells' first school to a museum. "The Little Rock Schoolhouse" was built in 1884, and though tuition was charged to the students to pay the teacher, the school building, itself, was built by the city. A granite marker to commemorate the conversion of the school to a museum was unveiled at this dedication.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Demolition of the Convention Hall--1 of 5:   Front View]

[The Demolition of the Convention Hall--1 of 5: Front View]

Date: 1975
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The metal framework of the Mineral Wells Convention Hall is all that it readily visible during its demolition in 1975/1976. Built on the rock foundation of the Hexagon House Electric Plant (for the West Texas Chamber of Commerce Convention in 1925), it served as the site of numerous local functions including High School Graduation Exercises. The landmark Hexagon Hotel, Mineral Wells' first electrically-lighted hotel, stood on the vacant corner lot in the left foreground of this picture from 1897 to 1959.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Demolition of the Convention Hall, 2 of 5:  From a Block Away]

[The Demolition of the Convention Hall, 2 of 5: From a Block Away]

Date: 1975
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: This photograph was taken at an early stage of the demolition of the Mineral Wells Convention Hall on N. Oak Avenue. Built in 1925 to accommodate the West Texas Chamber of Commerce Convention, it was constructed on the rock foundation of the Hexagon Hotel's electric power plant. The Hexagon Hotel, Mineral Wells' first electrically-lighted hotel, stood on the vacant corner lot in the foreground of this picture. It was torn down in 1959. When the Convention Hall was torn down in 1975, a member of the demolition crew said the new owner of the former London Bridge (to be re-erected at Havasu City in Arizona)was interested in acquiring the rocks to build the foundation for a fort to be constructed at the same site. (One local story credits that interest in the foundation stones as the reason for the demolition of the Convention Hall.)
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Demolition of the Convention Hall, 4 of 5]

[The Demolition of the Convention Hall, 4 of 5]

Date: 1976
Creator: unknown
Description: A holograph legend on the back of this picture states: "Tearing down Convention Hall 1976." The photograph illustrates the demolition of the building in full swing. Only the skeleton of the roof remains, and the walls are in ruins. This picture appears in Weaver's "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells" on page 186.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Fire at the Sangcura-Sprudel Well Building]

[The Fire at the Sangcura-Sprudel Well Building]

Date: December 5, 1973
Creator: unknown
Description: The Sangcura-Sprudel Well, located at 800 NW 2nd Avenue, was built around 1900. The building was later moved to 314 NW 5th Street, and the porches were enclosed. It was then re-modeled into a rooming house. The building burned down on December 5, 1973, five minutes before the annual Christmas Parade in Mineral Wells.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A House at 401 NW 4th Avenue]

[A House at 401 NW 4th Avenue]

Date: June 1974
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: A home at 401 NW 4th Avenue taken June 1974 is illustrated here. The house was built by P.E. Bock, in what appears to be Colonial Revival style.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A House at 401 NW 4th Avenue]

[A House at 401 NW 4th Avenue]

Date: June 1974
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: This picture gives a better view of the house shown in the previous photograph. It was taken in June of 1974. The house was built by P.E. Bock.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A House at 1004 SW 10th Street]

[A House at 1004 SW 10th Street]

Date: June 1974
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph affords a wider view of the house shown in the previous picture. It is of eclectic style, with Prairie, and Neoclassical elements. A telephone book dated 1940 lists it as the address of Alvin Maddox.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Jarmon Alvis Lynch and wife]

[Jarmon Alvis Lynch and wife]

Date: October 1, 1977
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: A photograph of Jarmon Alvis Lynch and his wife, taken October 1, 1977. He was the grandson J. A. Lynch, the founder of Mineral Wells. He is shown standing on the steps of the Rock School House (in Mineral Wells)in this 1977 photograph, and holding his drawing of the Lynch cabins, which also shows the drilling rig his grandfather used to dig the first mineral well.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Lake Mineral Wells, 2 of 4,]

[Lake Mineral Wells, 2 of 4,]

Date: April 1976
Creator: unknown
Description: The dam of Lake Mineral Wells is shown here during a flood, March 1976. A large area of Palo Pinto and Parker counties received heavy rains (up to 7.2 inches in places) during a three-day period. The road directly below the dam was entirely under water, and the effect of water flowing over the road is barely visible. Heavy damage was also reported over a substantial part of the City of Mineral Wells as a result of the downpour.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library