You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Language: No Language
[A Panoramic View of Lake Mineral Wells]

[A Panoramic View of Lake Mineral Wells]

Date: 1930?
Creator: unknown
Description: An early panoramic view of Lake Mineral Wells is illustrated here. The lake was built by the city of Mineral Wells for a municipal water supply in 1920. Rock Creek, in Parker County, was dammed to impound a lake approximately one mile wide and five miles long. An island, visible in the center of this picture, was initially accessible only by boat; but a wooden walkway eventually connected it to the concrete dam. The dam at Lake Mineral Wells was raised because of the increased need for water due to the building of Camp Wolters and its expansion into the largest Infantry Replacement Training Center in the nation in World War II. The island was thereafter covered by water. Lake Mineral Wells eventually became partially filled with silt, and another water supply was sought. Palo Pinto Creek was dammed by the city In the mid 1960's to form Lake Palo Pinto, approximately ten miles southwest of the county seat of Palo Pinto County. It became the current source of Mineral Wells' municipal water supply. Lake Mineral Wells was donated to Texas Parks and Wildlife in 1980, and became the focal point of Lake Mineral Wells State Park. Due to its ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Panoramic View of Mineral Wells]

[A Panoramic View of Mineral Wells]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The southern half of a two-part panoramic view of downtown Mineral Wells, Texas, taken about 1910 occupies this photograph. In this view, the Crazy Flats drinking pavilion is seen at the upper left;First Methodist Church near the skyline to the right of the Crazy Flats; and the First Presbyterian Church (domed building) at the upper far right of the picture. The houses shown are predominantly in the Queen Anne style--a popular one at the time of the photograph. This picture occurs on page 133 of A.F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells", first edition, 1975.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Park Gathering]

[A Park Gathering]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Three unknown men and seven unknown women gather in a park in front of the Gibson Well Drinking Pavilion in the early part of the twentieth century--presumably by the appearance of their clothes. Please observe the parasol that the lady on the right front is holding. The pavilion was located in the 700 block of NW 2nd Avenue, a site now occupied by the First Christian Church. The exact date of the photograph is unknown.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Paving Brick Plant

Paving Brick Plant

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is a photograph of the Paving Brick Plant. In the lower right-hand corner is the legend: Young Studio Mineral Wells, Tex." It was established in 1921; electrified in 1925-1926; the company was sold in 1927, re-named "Reliance Brick Company." It is featured in "Time Was in Mineral Wells on page 162. Electrification was accomplished when the Texas Power and Light Company furnished an abandoned 500 h.p. stream-power plant for the job. It was fed natural gas by means of the Upham Gas Company's line. In 1927, the plant was the largest of its kind west of the Mississippi River. It confined its production exclusively to vitrified shale material. The manager in 1927 has been identified as A. E. Eaton, who was also instrumental in locating the plant in Mineral Wells.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Paving East Hubbard Street in Mineral Wells]

[Paving East Hubbard Street in Mineral Wells]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A group of men work on paving East Hubbard street in Mineral Wells. Electrical lines are present. Street paving in Mineral Wells began in 1914. On the right is the Richards House. Behind the house is Lamar Flats water pavilion, now [2008]the site of the Baker Hotel.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Penitentiary Hollow]

[Penitentiary Hollow]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Three ladies (bearing bouquets), a man and a boy perch among the angular boulders of Penitentiary Hollow on the east side of Lake Mineral Wells. Their identities are unknown. This picture is probably a souvenir photograph, taken at some time during the late 1910's or early 1920's. A local story has it that the area gets its name from the "Fact" that cattle thieves were said to be accustomed to cache their booty here, in preparation to driving it on farther for sale. Therefore, anybody detected in this place (who could no give a good account of himself) was likely to find lodging in the nearest penitentiary.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Penitentiary Hollow]

[Penitentiary Hollow]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A photograph of a woman and young boy at Penitentiary Hollow in Lake Mineral Wells State Park. A dam across Rock Creek east of Mineral Wells in Parker County was built to impound a new water supply for the city of Mineral Wells. A joint committee of nine named the new water source Lake Mineral Wells in December 1919. When it became necessary to dam up Palo Pinto Creek in the 1960's to obtain a larger source of water, the city gave Lake Mineral Wells to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission for a State Park. Penitentiary Hollow in the State Park is one of the few areas in Texas where rock climbers may gain mountain-climbing experience. As the photograph shows, spectacular vertical cliffs, 40 feet and more in height, are well-adapted to honing climbing skills. The area gets its name from the story that cattle thieves were thought to cache their booty there, preparatory to driving the hapless animals onward for sale. Anyone detected in the area was therefore likely to find lodging in a local penitentiary.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[People Standing Around a Table]

[People Standing Around a Table]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Twenty unidentified people of all ages--one a babe in arms--in holiday clothes stand around two tables that have been joined together to make one. Chairs about the table are mismatched. An open Victrola stands to one side. Naked light bulbs dangle from the ceiling. One door and two windows are visible. The site of the occasion (and the occasion itself) are unfortunately unknown.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Period Hotel and Annex]

[The Period Hotel and Annex]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The Period Hotel, located at N.W. 4th Avenue and 6th Street, was owned and managed by Miss Lizzie More. The hotel was destroyed by fire, but its annex is still [2007] standing, and is in use as an apartment house. A similar, but earlier, photograph is found on page 103 of A.F. Weaver's pictorial history "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells," Second Edition, 1988.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Photograph of the First Mineral Wells Golf Country Club]

[Photograph of the First Mineral Wells Golf Country Club]

Date: 1925
Creator: unknown
Description: A photograph of the first clubhouse of The Mineral Wells Golf and Country Club is shown here. This picture comes from Knights of Pythias Album, 1925. The swimming area and lifeguard station can be seen at the far left of the picture.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library