You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 County: Palo Pinto County, TX
 Language: No Language
[A Baseball Team]

[A Baseball Team]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture shows a men's baseball team in Mineral Wells, but the identification of both the team and the men are unknown. Ike Zablosky (sometimes spelled Zabronski), a Russian immigrant, arrived in America in 1906. He entered the fur-trading business in Mineral Wells, and is credited with naming the Possum Kingdom area when a customer inquired about some premium pelts. Zablosky replied that he had none at the time, but "When my boys return from the possum kingdom, I'm sure they will have some." Zablosky operated a class C professional league baseball team (the Resorters)in Mineral Wells. He became owner of the first professional baseball team in Dallas, later in life. The Chicago White Sox are known to have held their Spring Training camp in Mineral Wells in 1911, and again during a three-year stretch of 1916, 1917, and 1918. It has not been established whether the players shown in this picture represent the Resorters or White Sox teams. The man in the background, in an apparent uniform, is shown holding an instrument whose function has not been determined.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Basketball at Elmhurst Park]

[Basketball at Elmhurst Park]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A note on the back of the photograph identifies this venue as Elmhurst Park. The park was located on Pollard Creek, some two miles southwest of downtown Mineral Wells; and was owned by The Mineral Wells Electric System, which operated a trolley that ran from downtown to the park. (The street car company went bankrupt in 1913, and both the park and trolley ceased operations that year.) The picture appears to be a tip-off to begin a period of play in a men's basketball game. Both men's and women's basketball games were held at the park when it was in operation (from 1907 to 1913).
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Bathing Beauties]

[Bathing Beauties]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Three young women lounge at the "old" Mineral Wells City Pool. The woman on the right was Jill Hickey, Mineral Wells High School graduate of 1966, later Jill Hickey Moore of Stafford, Texas. This photograph, judging by the women's hair-do's, appears to have been taken in the 1960's.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Bill Cameron]

[Bill Cameron]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: "Bill Cameron at his desk in the [old] Mineral Wells Index." The newspaper office was located at 207 NW 1st Avenue.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
  [The Birch McClendon Food Store]

[The Birch McClendon Food Store]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The only information about this picture comes from a legend on the back of it: Mrs. Vernon Hill father & n gof [sic] Chester Claywell Mr. Lord. grocery [illegible] Specialty Shop [written vertically] DW Griffith It is featured in "Time was in Mineral Wells" on page 128 as "Birch McClendon Food Store, located at 211 Southeast 1st Street."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Boy and a Girl in Fancy Dress]

[A Boy and a Girl in Fancy Dress]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph shows a pre-pubescent boy in formal attire standing by a girl in furbelowed dress, with the train drawn in front of her, and wearing a fleury crown (of cardboard?). She carries a nosegay. He has a boutonniere. An inscription on the back of the picture reads: "Patsy Baughn I think Geo. Kossteson [?]" Further information about either person--or the occasion that warranted the photograph--is entirely lacking at the present [2012] date.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Brazos River Scene]

[A Brazos River Scene]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This 1925 photograph shows individuals, in clothing of the period, at the Brazos River. It appears to be a holiday outing. Some of the people sitting and standing are in full dress, and not wearing swim suits. The flat and sandy shore is reminiscent of the Village Bend area of the Brazos River in the vicinity of Oaks Crossing (the early Brazos ford on the main road from Palo Pinto to Weatherford) some 6 miles southeast of Palo Pinto. The opposite shoreline in the photograph is rocky, with heavy vegetation and high banks. The photograph comes from a Knights of Pythias Album.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Brewer Home]

[The Brewer Home]

Date: April 4, 1976
Creator: unknown
Description: The Brewer home on East Mountain is shown here, from a picture taken April 4, 1976. It is visible from most of North Oak Avenue. Originally the Murphy Home, the building underwent many renovations during the period of Mr. Murphy's residence. Mr. Murphy was a contractor who built many buildings in Mineral Wells, including the Mineral Wells High School (1914) and the third First Baptist Church.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Brick Highway Between Mineral Wells and Weatherford]

[The Brick Highway Between Mineral Wells and Weatherford]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The 1936 ribbon-cutting ceremony to open the new brick highway between Weatherford and Mineral Wells, now U.S. Highway 180, is depicted here. This photograph was taken just seconds before the photograph found on page 97 of A. F. Weaver's book, "TIME WAS..." 2nd edition. Some of the dignitaries in the photograph are Allen Wallace, W.A. Ross, Pat Corrigan and Paul Woods. The new highway to Weatherford began at the 900 block of East Hubbard, and the brick was hand-laid by two strong Negro men.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Brick Road East of Mineral Wells]

[The Brick Road East of Mineral Wells]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The brick highway (emphatically not yellow brick!)east of Mineral Wells (the Bankhead Highway) was the nation's first transcontinental highway, beginning at milepost 0 on the steps of the Capitol in Washington, D.C. and ending at San Diego, California. Bricks for it in this area were made in Thurber, Texas (on the Palo Pinto/Erath county line). All bricks were laid by two (some say one) black masons. Bricks made in Thurber were also used to build the seawall at Galveston after the disastrous hurricane of 1900, to pave the streets of Fort Worth, and even Congress Avenue in Austin, Texas.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library