You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Language: No Language
[The D. M. Howard Store]

[The D. M. Howard Store]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A photograph taken during the construction of the D. M. Howard Store, located at 101 SE 1st Avenue. D. M. Howard was the first of five brothers to arrive in Mineral Wells. He built the first large department store(s) here. This was the first in a complex of Howard Brothers stores, and later housed the J. M. Belcher Furniture Store and its successor, R. & W. Furniture. Howard himself departed this life in 1910. The building was torn down in 1975.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Dam/causeway]

[The Dam/causeway]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture shows the dam that formed Mineral Wells' first municipal water reservoir. This dam is probably the one that Thelma Doss refers to on page 51 of A.F. Weaver's "Time Was in Mineral Wells." Its erection was credited to banker Cicero Smith in that article. Located southeast of the Cullen Grimes School, it is in the G. P. Barber Addition. It was actually built by George P Barber, and the water impounded behind it is known locally as Barber Lake. The lake served to supply water for Mineral Wells until banker Cicero Smith and Ed Dismuke (owner of Famous Water Company) built a dam on Pollard Creek, west of the city, to form Mineral Wells' second municipal water supply, Lake Pinto. The original photograph is one of 17 (4X4) negatives that were discovered in an envelope from Charles W. Simonds (Route 5, Box 43, Norman, Oklahoma, 73069), postmarked "Aug. 4, 1975" and addressed to A.F. Weaver Photography. Some telephone numbers were visible on the envelope, as was the remark: "Father - C.W. Simonds (Clarence Winfield)."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 4 of 21, Fire Inside the Structure]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 4 of 21, Fire Inside the Structure]

Date: December 22, 1976
Creator: unknown
Description: This is another view of the spectacular fire that consumed the Damron Hotel on December 22, 1975. The hotel was built as the Colonial Hotel in 1906 by rancher J. T. Holt for his second wife. The name was changed in 1917 when the hotel was traded to Agnew and Bessie Damron in exchange for a ranch. The fire received extensive photographic coverage. Note the height of the flames in this picture, taken in the later stages of the fire.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 5 of 21:   View from the Rear of the Building]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 5 of 21: View from the Rear of the Building]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: The Damron Hotel was built in 1906 as the Colonial Hotel by J. T. Holt. At one time, both Kiwanis and the Rotary service Clubs met in the dining room that was located on the west side of the main floor. Formerly located at 109 W. Hubbard Street, the hotel burned completely on December 22, 1975 in a spectacular fire that was extensively photographed. Shown here is one of many views of the fire.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 6 of 21:   Bystanders Observing the Fire]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 6 of 21: Bystanders Observing the Fire]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: The Damron Hotel was destroyed (on December 22, 1975) in a spectacular fire that received extensive photographic coverage. The hotel was located at 109 W. Hubbard. This is another picture of that immense conflagration. All the firemen answered a call that came in at 9:08 on the morning of the fire. The City of Weatherford also sent men and equipment over to help. Volunteers who were not themselves firemen also helped.Other buildings that suffered damage were Pemberton's (an appliance store across the street and west of the hotel), and the hardware store (Bought by Bob Sturtivant) next to the hotel. Note the height of the flames in this picture taken in the later stages of the fire.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 9 of 21:   Firemen and a Fire Truck Near the North Side of Budiling]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 9 of 21: Firemen and a Fire Truck Near the North Side of Budiling]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph shows another view of the early response to the holiday conflagration that consumed the Damron Hotel on December 22, 1975. The Damron was built in 1906, during Mineral Wells' heyday as a popular resort city. Originally named the Colonial Hotel by J. T. Holt, and built for his second wife, the name of the hotel was changed in 1917 when Mr. Holt traded the hotel to Agnew and Bessie Damron in exchange for a ranch. The hotel was located at 109 W. Hubbard, and the spectacular fire received extensive photographic coverage.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 11 of 21:   Fighting the Fire on W. Hubbard St.]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 11 of 21: Fighting the Fire on W. Hubbard St.]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is another picture in the series of photographs of the fire that destroyed the Damron Hotel during the holiday season of 1975. This smoke-shrouded scene of W. Hubbard, shows the front entrance to the hotel in the earlier stages of the fire's progress. The Damron was built in 1906, during the days that Mineral Wells was a popular resort spa. It burned completely on December 22,1975. The hotel's name was changed in 1917 when Mr. Holt (who had built the hotel) traded it to Agnew and Bessie Damron for a ranch. It was a very popular hotel through the Roaring Twenties, the Great Depression and World War II.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 12 of 21:   Numerous Fire Hoses Lying in Front of the Hotel]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 12 of 21: Numerous Fire Hoses Lying in Front of the Hotel]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Another view of the front entrance to the Damron Hotel at 109 W. Hubbard during the earlier stages of the fire that completely destroyed it on December 22, 1975. Debris from the burning hotel wafted as far as seven blocks from the burning building. No major injuries were reported. The spectacular Holiday fire that destroyed the hotel received extensive photographic coverage.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 13 of 21:  Christmas Decorations on Light Poles]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 13 of 21: Christmas Decorations on Light Poles]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The Damron Hotel (which was built in 1906 during the days that Mineral Wells was a popular resort city) burned completely on December 22, 1975. It was located at 109 W. Hubbard Street. By 11:30 (some two hours after the fire started), the Davidson Hardware company, next door, was engulfed in flames. George's Man's Shop and Hill's style Shop were also damaged.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 14 of 21:  Drifting Smoke From the Fire]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 14 of 21: Drifting Smoke From the Fire]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The Damron Hotel, which was built during the days that Mineral Wells was a popular resort city, burned completely on December 22, 1975. It was located 109 W. Hubbard Street. This photograph was taken from about a block away from the scene, and shows the dense cloud of smoke that resulted from the fire. The hotel was built in 1906 by rancher J. T. Holt for his second wife because she insisted that she would not live in the country. Originally named the Colonial Hotel, the name was changed in 1917 when Mr. Holt traded it to Agnew and Bessie Damron for a ranch. In its heyday, both the Kiwanis and the Rotary Service Clubs once met in its dining room.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library