You limited your search to:
Boyce Ditto Public Library
Palo Pinto County, TX
- [A Panorama Taken in 1974 (sixth)]
A panorama, taken from West Mountain, looking toward East Mountain over North Oak Street in Mineral Wells. The Convention Center, Box Factory, and The Crazy Water Hotel are visible. Native plants are visible in the foreground. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16240/
- [A Panorama Taken in 1974 (tenth)]
Shown here is a panorama of the Baker Hotel and First United Methodist Church, taken from the west. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16236/
- [A Panorama Taken in 1974 (third)]
illustrated here is a panorama of Mineral Wells, looking east from West Mountain. The Baker Hotel and First National Bank (now Bank of America) are visible in center of photograph. Native plants are pictured in the left of photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16243/
- [A Panorama Taken in1974 (eighth)]
A panorama of houses and streets, taken from from Welcome Mountain s shown here. The purpose of the photograph remains uncertain. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16238/
- [A Panoramic View of Lake Mineral Wells]
An early panoramic view of Lake Mineral Wells is illustrated here. The lake was built by the city of Mineral Wells for a municipal water supply in 1920. Rock Creek, in Parker County, was dammed to impound a lake approximately one mile wide and five miles long. An island, visible in the center of this picture, was initially accessible only by boat; but a wooden walkway eventually connected it to the concrete dam.
The dam at Lake Mineral Wells was raised because of the increased need for water due to the building of Camp Wolters and its expansion into the largest Infantry Replacement Training Center in the nation in World War II. The island was thereafter covered by water. Lake Mineral Wells eventually became partially filled with silt, and another water supply was sought. Palo Pinto Creek was dammed by the city In the mid 1960's to form Lake Palo Pinto, approximately ten miles southwest of the county seat of Palo Pinto County. It became the current source of Mineral Wells' municipal water supply.
Lake Mineral Wells was donated to Texas Parks and Wildlife in 1980, and became the focal point of Lake Mineral Wells State Park. Due to its proximity to the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex, Lake Mineral Wells State Park is one of the more popular State Parks in Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38090/
- [A Panoramic View of Mineral Wells]
The southern half of a two-part panoramic view of downtown Mineral Wells, Texas, taken about 1910 occupies this photograph. In this view, the Crazy Flats drinking pavilion is seen at the upper left;First Methodist Church near the skyline to the right of the Crazy Flats; and the First Presbyterian Church (domed building) at the upper far right of the picture.
The houses shown are predominantly in the Queen Anne style--a popular one at the time of the photograph.
This picture occurs on page 133 of A.F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells", first edition, 1975. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20330/
- [A Panoramic View of Mineral Wells, 1925]
A picture taken in 1925, two months after the Crazy burned. Please note no Crazy Hotel in this picture, but the Crazy Well building in the street did not perish in the flames.
Also,please note, across the city on West Mountain, the two buildings owned by the Cavalry, where their horses were kept. The old High School, the "Little Rock School", and the West Ward School are visible in the upper left of the picture at the south end of West Mountain. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29456/
- [A Panoramic View of South Mountain From East Mountain]
A view from East Mountain to South Mountain is shown here. At the mid-right of the picture is the gap between South Mountain and West Mountain where U.S. Highway 180 is now located. Just below the gap is the West Ward School House ( Mineral Wells first High School), built in 1902.
The Little Rock School House to the left (south) of the West Ward School, built in 1884, Mineral Wells' First public school, is now a museum. The two spires of the First Baptist Church can be seen near the center of the picture. This photograph was taken prior to 1914, at which time a new High School was built south of the Rock School. The photograph's poor quality may be ascribed to the print source. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16224/
- [Parade at Highways 180 and 281 in Mineral Wells]
The bi-centennial parade, 1976 is shown here in progress. A covered wagon, horses, riders, and parade float are visible in the background. The view is taken from the corner of westbound Hubbard Street, (US Highway 180) at Oak Avenue, (US Highway 281.) texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16145/
- [A Parade in 1925]
A military contingent of the 1925 West Texas Chamber of Commerce Parade in Mineral Wells is shown here. The parade is proceeding west in the 100 block of NE 2nd Street. Please note the Mineral Wells Sanatorium in the upper right of the photograph just east of the old Post Office.
Please note also the double line of angle-parked automobiles on the street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16298/
- [A Parade in 1925]
A parade took placed during the West Texas Chamber of Commerce's convention of 1925. The parade is moving west on NE 2nd Street. The Whatley-Maddox Ford-Lincoln Motor Company (festooned with bunting)is shown on the corner with the U.S. Post Office across the street. East of the Post Office is the Mineral Wells Sanatorium. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16230/
- [A Parade in Mineral Wells on North Oak Avenue]
The Chamber of Commerce float, with the Parade Princess, greets visitors in the 1936 Centennial Parade in Mineral Wells,Texas. It is shown proceeding along the 200 block of North Oak Avenue. Businesses in photograph include, (bunting-festooned) Perry Brothers 5-10-and 25-cent store, City Bakery, and (to the left) part of Duke & Ayers 5-& 10-cent store.
Angle-parked automobiles and spectators line the street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16257/
- [A Parade of Automobiles]
A parade of decorated automobiles is shown crossing the intersection at North Oak and NE 2nd Streets,as seen from the west. A sign for Lovera Cigars is visible on the front of the Crazy Drug Company (the gray building at right middle of the picture.) The large white building in the left center back-ground is the Presbyterian Church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16263/
- [A Parade With a Rotary Club float]
The Rotary Club float in Mineral Wells' 1976 Bi-Centennial Parade featured riders, in clothes typifying the period, that represent a "Roaring Twenties" golfer dancing with "Flapper Fannies." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16141/
- [A Park Gathering]
Three unknown men and seven unknown women gather in a park in front of the Gibson Well Drinking Pavilion in the early part of the twentieth century--presumably by the appearance of their clothes. Please observe the parasol that the lady on the right front is holding.
The pavilion was located in the 700 block of NW 2nd Avenue, a site now occupied by the First Christian Church. The exact date of the photograph is unknown. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20457/
- [Partial Minutes: Mineral Wells Bicentennial Committee, November 18, 1975]
First page of the minutes of the Mineral Wells Bicentennial Committee, held in the old Nazareth Hospital in 1975. It includes a list of attendees and a summary of some of the discussion points. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth60937/
- [A party at the Wann home]
A photograph of a news article describing a party given by Mrs. Chloe Schillings at her home, located on NW 2nd Street and 4th Avenue--across the street and west of the Presbyterian Church--is shown here. The party included Mrs. M. R. Birdwell, Mrs. S. A. Prostridge, Mrs. B. R. Beeler, Mrs. R. L. Yeager, Mrs. Elizabeth Cushman, Mrs. J. E. Johnson, Mrs. Gus Wicklund, Mrs. Millie Turner, Mrs. Mitchell, Mrs. Thomas, Mrs. Mae B. Tiliord, Mrs. E. W. Rogers, Mrs, Vera Lang, Mrs. Ed Oliver, Mrs. F. C. Highsmith and Mrs. Chloe Wann Schillings
At the time of the news article, the home, a large Queen Anne-style house, was said to be owned by Mrs. S. H. Smith. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16185/
- Pasadena Heights
A July, 1906 plat of "Pasadena Heights, the Home Builders Addition to Mineral Wells, Texas"is illustrated here. Developers of the addition were D. M. Howard, (Co-owner of Mineral Wells' first big department store, Howard Brothers), B. R. Strong, and Frank Richards (manager of the Star Well and owner of an early mineral water crystal plant).
Street names were changed in 1912. This area came to be facetiously called "Jackass Flats" by locals.
The Brazos Mall is currently  located at the bottom of the plat, Wal-Mart, to the east of the plat. Elmwood Cemetery is at the southwest edge of the plat. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20282/
An inscription at the bottom of the photograph reads "Pat--Ike." The "Ike" presumably refers to Ike Zablosky, who came from Russia to Philadelphia in 1890. He and his wife, Fanny Jaffee, later moved to Mineral Wells for health reasons where he became involved in the fur-and-hide business. Zablosky once described the northwest part of Palo Pinto County as a "'Possum kingdom"; hence the first flood-control lake on the Brazos River was named Possum Kingdom Lake. (The story is that it was named that by president Franklin Roosevelt himself.)
Zabloski sponsored a local baseball team. He bought a Texas League franchise, when it became available, after he moved to Dallas. It was to become Dallas' first professional baseball team.
He pioneered the founding of city farm teams, and acted as umpire and coach.
The last name of the "Pat" in the photograph is unknown. He was associated with a team known as the White Sox, which held spring training in Mineral Wells in 1911 and again from 1915-1917.
This picture is dated 1917. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29810/
- Paving Brick Plant
Shown here is a photograph of the Paving Brick Plant. In the lower right-hand corner is the legend: Young Studio Mineral Wells, Tex."
It was established in 1921; electrified in 1925-1926; the company was sold in 1927, re-named "Reliance Brick Company." It is featured in "Time Was in Mineral Wells on page 162.
Electrification was accomplished when the Texas Power and Light Company furnished an abandoned 500 h.p. stream-power plant for the job. It was fed natural gas by means of the Upham Gas Company's line.
In 1927, the plant was the largest of its kind west of the Mississippi River. It confined its production exclusively to vitrified shale material.
The manager in 1927 has been identified as A. E. Eaton, who was also instrumental in locating the plant in Mineral Wells. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39179/
- [Paving East Hubbard Street in Mineral Wells]
A group of men work on paving East Hubbard street in Mineral Wells. Electrical lines are present. Street paving in Mineral Wells began in 1914. On the right is the Richards House. Behind the house is Lamar Flats water pavilion, now the site of the Baker Hotel. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16288/
- [Penitentiary Hollow]
Three ladies (bearing bouquets), a man and a boy perch among the angular boulders of Penitentiary Hollow on the east side of Lake Mineral Wells. Their identities are unknown. This picture is probably a souvenir photograph, taken at some time during the late 1910's or early 1920's.
A local story has it that the area gets its name from the "Fact" that cattle thieves were said to be accustomed to cache their booty here, in preparation to driving it on farther for sale. Therefore, anybody detected in this place (who could no give a good account of himself) was likely to find lodging in the nearest penitentiary. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39231/
- [The Penix Home ]
The Penix Home (at 1001 SW 7th Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas)was once owned by William H. Penix--partner of the law firm of Penix, Miller, Perkins, and Dean. He also served as vice-president of the Bank of Mineral Wells in 1920.
The style is Queen Anne, Free Classic sub-type. It is shown here much-ravaged by time. Note the decayed "Gingerbread", the cut-away bay (not common in Mineral Wells),and the flat-topped tower, which is unlikely to have been original.
The house was re-located in 1989 to an area north of town,now  Bennett Road. Restoration of the house was completed in 1998. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16161/
- [The Penix House ]
This home (at 1001 SW 7th Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas) was once owned by William H. Penix, who was a partner in the law firm of Penix, Miller, Perkins, and Dean. He was also vice-president of the Bank of Mineral Wells in 1920.
The style of the house is Queen Anne, free classic sub-type. Note the unusual flat-topped tower on the left of the photograph. Such towers were almost always turreted, flat-tops being practically unknown in this style of architecture. It might not be original; but given the general appearance of the house the condition of the tower might be a testimony to the ravages of time. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16162/
- [People in a Parade]
A buggy is shown here, filled with people dressed in what appears to be fashions from the 1920's. The buggy wheels are decorated for a parade and the buggy itself has the name "T. J. Green" on it. The location appears to be in front of the Gibson Well in the 700 block of NW 2nd Avenue, now  the location of the First Christian Church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16295/
- [People in an Automobile]
An automobile is shown here, decorated for a parade. The occupants of automobile are obviously dressed for the special occasion. The photograph is a view looking south on Oak Avenue at First Street, in downtown Mineral Wells.
The ghostly images in the picture remain unexplained. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16303/
- [People in the Front of the Nazareth Hospital]
A group of people, including a priest, three nuns and Mother Superior, standing in front of the Nazareth Hospital.
For details about the Nazareth Hospital, please see: "Nazareth Hospital, 25th Anniversary, 1931-1956." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20405/
- [People Marching in a Parade]
Shown here is a photograph of people walking south along North Oak Avenue in a street parade, with some individuals playing musical instruments. The prominent building in the middle right of the picture is the former Crazy Theater on the east side of Oak Avenue, across the street from the Crazy Hotel. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16260/
- [People Sitting in a car]
This photograph, looking west on East Hubbard at the corner of NE lst Avenue, shows a touring car, with two men in front and three women behind.
Please note the trolley car tracks in front of the car. They are almost covered with dirt and no longer in use. This photograph, taken about 1915, may be found on page 137 of Art Weaver's book "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20421/
- [People Standing Around a Table]
Twenty unidentified people of all ages--one a babe in arms--in holiday clothes stand around two tables that have been joined together to make one. Chairs about the table are mismatched. An open Victrola stands to one side. Naked light bulbs dangle from the ceiling. One door and two windows are visible. The site of the occasion (and the occasion itself) are unfortunately unknown. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39257/
- [A Period Car]
Three men are shown sitting in a restored "Vintage" car. Razz Ford sits in the back seat. Tom Creighton, in the driver's seat, still wears the beard he grew for Palo Pinto County's 1957 Centennial celebration. Russell Whatley occupies the passenger's seat.
The car is making an exit from the driveway of the Baker Hotel onto Hubbard Street. The picture was taken in 1958.
The building behind the Oldsmobile/Cadillac sign is the Beetham Funeral Home. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20453/
- The Period Hotel
A postcard of the Period Hotel, a two-story building with Neo-classical architecture which was located at the corner of NW 4th Avenue and 6th Street, in Mineral Wells, Texas is shown here. There is a horse-drawn carriage parked in front of the hotel and various people standing on the sidewalks around the building. A printed note at the top of the picture reads: "7698. The Period Hotel, Mineral Wells, Texas." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth60886/
- [The Period Hotel and Annex]
The Period Hotel, located at N.W. 4th Avenue and 6th Street, was owned and managed by Miss Lizzie More. The hotel was destroyed by fire, but its annex is still  standing, and is in use as an apartment house.
A similar, but earlier, photograph is found on page 103 of A.F. Weaver's pictorial history "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells," Second Edition, 1988. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20283/
- Period Hotel and Annex
The Period Hotel and Annex was located at N.W. 4th Avenue and 6th Street. It was managed by Miss Lizzie More. The hotel was destroyed by fire. The Annex was later known as the Town House Apartments. The Annex is still extant in 2007. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16207/
- Petroleum Products, The Texas Company
This is a picture of truck number D-677, bearing the identification of Texaco Petroleum Products, The Texas Company. A woman sits in the cab of the truck. The truck itself seems to date to about 1912. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16281/
- [A Photocopy of the Mineral Wells "Index"]
Shown here is a photocopy of a page from the Mineral Wells "Index." No date is shown. The only legibly complete articles concern the Buck Head Bath House and Pavilion, and the Wagley Bath House and Annex. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20284/
- [Photograph of the First Mineral Wells Golf Country Club]
A photograph of the first clubhouse of The Mineral Wells Golf and Country Club is shown here. This picture comes from Knights of Pythias Album, 1925. The swimming area and lifeguard station can be seen at the far left of the picture. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20348/
- [A Photographic Miscellany of Mineral Wells]
Shown here is a possible composite picture of the attractions about Mineral Wells. It features a panorama of Camp Wolters, dated 1941; A scenic drive, Mineral Wells; the hospital & headquarters Areas; Regimental Areas 4 & 5, Camp Wolters. Several small towns(e.g. Salesville, Graford, and Santo) are shown as existing--but nothing more. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth39206/
- [A Piano Recital, 1 of 10]
A photograph of a piano recital, from a roll of film labeled "Ina Howard Ramsey." Mrs. Ramsey's parents once operated the former Star Boarding House on NW 2nd Street. She is shown playing an upright piano at the base of a stage in the First Presbyterian church's Fellowship Hall. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29441/
- [A Piano Recital, 2 of 10]
According to the notes that accompanied this series of negatives, a piano recital was held about the same time as the auction of Mr. Weaver's book, "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells..." Mr. Weaver photographed both events.
The piano recital was given in the Fellowship Hall of the First Presbyterian church. Ina Howard Ramsey is the pianist. Mrs. Ramsey was visiting her native home of Mineral Wells at the time. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29440/
- [A Piano Recital, 3 of 10]
This photograph was taken from a roll of film labeled, "Ina Howard Ramsey."
The note included in this series of pictures suggests that a piano recital was held about the same time as the auction of Mr. Weaver's book. Mr. Weaver photographed both events.
The site of the recital was the Fellowship Hall of the First Presbyterian church. Ina Howard Ramsey is the pianist. The recital was an entertainment for the Mineral Wells Heritage Association. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29439/
- [A Piano Recital, 4 of 10]
This photograph is taken from a roll of film labeled, "Ina Howard Ramsey."
Mrs. Ramsey gave a piano recital in the Fellowship Hall of the First Presbyterian church on August 28, 1975 as an entertainment for the Mineral Wells Heritage Association. Mr. Weaver photographed this event, as well as the auction of his book.
Mrs. Ramsey was born in Mineral Wells. Her parents owned the Star House--a boarding house--at what was then 315 Coke Street, but is now  315 NW 2nd Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29438/
- [A Piano Recital, 5 of 10]
This photograph, along with nine others, was taken from a roll of film labeled, "Ina Howard Ramsey." Thelma Doss, a local radio personality and historian, is pictured with the pianist in this photograph.
The recital was given in the Fellowship Hall of the First Presbyterian church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29437/
- [Piano Recital, 6 of 10]
This picture was taken from a roll of film labeled, "Ina Howard Ramsey."
The photograph seems to be of a registration table at a piano recital featuring Mrs. Ramsey. The table in the background contains art work.
Other pictures in this series indicate that an art show was held in conjunction with the piano recital. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29436/
- [A Piano Recital, 7 of 10]
A picture taken from from a roll of film labeled, "Ina Howard Ramsey." The label with this roll of pictures, along with others in this series, shows Ina Howard Ramsey, the pianist, greeting Jo Losen, the Layout and Artwork Editor of "Time Was...", after her performance.
Art exhibits along the wall in this picture, along with a stack of books in another photograph in this series, suggests a piano recital may have been part of a combination piano recital/art show/book sale. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29435/
- [A Piano Recital, 8 of 10]
An image taken from a roll of film labeled, "Ina Howard Ramsey." Mrs. Ramsey is shown signing Jo Losen's copy of "Time Was..."
Art work in this picture seems to indicate the event was a combination piano recital and sale of Mrs. Ramsey's art work. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29434/
- [A Piano Recital, 9 of 10]
Taken from a roll of film labeled, "Ina Howard Ramsey", this series of pictures seems to have covered a combination piano recital/art sale. This picture is of the pianist, Ina Howard Ramsey, visiting with some of the younger members of the audience following the recital. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29433/
- [A Piano Recital, 10 of 10]
The pianist, Ina Howard Ramsey, seems to be announcing her next selection to the audience of a piano recital given August 28, 1975.The event took place in the Fellowship Hall of First Presbyterian church.
The recital was held about the same time as the auction of the first ten copies of A.F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells . . . .", and Mr. Weaver photographed both events.
Mrs. Ramsey was an artiste as well as a pianist, and she displayed some of her art work as well as playing the piano.
Mrs. Ramsey, though born in Mineral Wells in 1896 to parents who were owners of the Star House (a boarding house), was visiting Mineral Wells from her home in Oklahoma at the time of this photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29432/
- Pictorial History of Fort Wolters, Volume 1: Infantry Replacement Training Center
This volume includes a time-line of events that took place in Fort Wolters from 1921 to 1973, including biographies of personnel, photographs, diagrams and a Roster of Infantry Replacement Center Officers from 1941. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth24855/
- Pictorial History of Fort Wolters, Volume 2: Primary Helicopter Center Personnel
This volume includes a list of U.S. Army Primary Helicopter School Commandants from 1961-1973, with biographies and photographs of some personnel. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth24854/