You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 County: Palo Pinto County, TX
[Paving East Hubbard Street in Mineral Wells]

[Paving East Hubbard Street in Mineral Wells]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A group of men work on paving East Hubbard street in Mineral Wells. Electrical lines are present. Street paving in Mineral Wells began in 1914. On the right is the Richards House. Behind the house is Lamar Flats water pavilion, now [2008]the site of the Baker Hotel.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Penitentiary Hollow]

[Penitentiary Hollow]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Three ladies (bearing bouquets), a man and a boy perch among the angular boulders of Penitentiary Hollow on the east side of Lake Mineral Wells. Their identities are unknown. This picture is probably a souvenir photograph, taken at some time during the late 1910's or early 1920's. A local story has it that the area gets its name from the "Fact" that cattle thieves were said to be accustomed to cache their booty here, in preparation to driving it on farther for sale. Therefore, anybody detected in this place (who could no give a good account of himself) was likely to find lodging in the nearest penitentiary.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Penix Home ]

[The Penix Home ]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The Penix Home (at 1001 SW 7th Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas)was once owned by William H. Penix--partner of the law firm of Penix, Miller, Perkins, and Dean. He also served as vice-president of the Bank of Mineral Wells in 1920. The style is Queen Anne, Free Classic sub-type. It is shown here much-ravaged by time. Note the decayed "Gingerbread", the cut-away bay (not common in Mineral Wells),and the flat-topped tower, which is unlikely to have been original. The house was re-located in 1989 to an area north of town,now [2008] Bennett Road. Restoration of the house was completed in 1998.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Penix House ]

[The Penix House ]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This home (at 1001 SW 7th Avenue, Mineral Wells, Texas) was once owned by William H. Penix, who was a partner in the law firm of Penix, Miller, Perkins, and Dean. He was also vice-president of the Bank of Mineral Wells in 1920. The style of the house is Queen Anne, free classic sub-type. Note the unusual flat-topped tower on the left of the photograph. Such towers were almost always turreted, flat-tops being practically unknown in this style of architecture. It might not be original; but given the general appearance of the house the condition of the tower might be a testimony to the ravages of time.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[People in a Parade]

[People in a Parade]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A buggy is shown here, filled with people dressed in what appears to be fashions from the 1920's. The buggy wheels are decorated for a parade and the buggy itself has the name "T. J. Green" on it. The location appears to be in front of the Gibson Well in the 700 block of NW 2nd Avenue, now [2008] the location of the First Christian Church.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[People in an Automobile]

[People in an Automobile]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: An automobile is shown here, decorated for a parade. The occupants of automobile are obviously dressed for the special occasion. The photograph is a view looking south on Oak Avenue at First Street, in downtown Mineral Wells. The ghostly images in the picture remain unexplained.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[People in the Front of the Nazareth Hospital]

[People in the Front of the Nazareth Hospital]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A group of people, including a priest, three nuns and Mother Superior, standing in front of the Nazareth Hospital. For details about the Nazareth Hospital, please see: "Nazareth Hospital, 25th Anniversary, 1931-1956."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[People Marching in a Parade]

[People Marching in a Parade]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is a photograph of people walking south along North Oak Avenue in a street parade, with some individuals playing musical instruments. The prominent building in the middle right of the picture is the former Crazy Theater on the east side of Oak Avenue, across the street from the Crazy Hotel.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[People Sitting in a car]

[People Sitting in a car]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph, looking west on East Hubbard at the corner of NE lst Avenue, shows a touring car, with two men in front and three women behind. Please note the trolley car tracks in front of the car. They are almost covered with dirt and no longer in use. This photograph, taken about 1915, may be found on page 137 of Art Weaver's book "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[People Standing Around a Table]

[People Standing Around a Table]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Twenty unidentified people of all ages--one a babe in arms--in holiday clothes stand around two tables that have been joined together to make one. Chairs about the table are mismatched. An open Victrola stands to one side. Naked light bulbs dangle from the ceiling. One door and two windows are visible. The site of the occasion (and the occasion itself) are unfortunately unknown.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library