You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Right Ticket

The Right Ticket

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: An old advertisement for Mineral Wells, touting the "pleasures" to be had in the city. The lady's crown displays the legend "Health & Pleasure." The "Pleasures" obtainable in the city need not be discussed, as they are plainly describedd in the picture, which may be found on page 91 of the second edition of A. F. Weaver's book, "Time Was..."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Road to Mineral Wells]

[The Road to Mineral Wells]

Date: 1936
Creator: unknown
Description: The 1936 opening of the brick highway from Mineral Wells to Weatherford, now known as Highway US 180. This was a Works Project Administration (WPA) highway, built during the early "Great Depression" recovery period. The photograph is looking west toward Mineral Wells, and the Baker Hotel may be seen faintly on the horizon at left center of the picture.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Rock Outcrop on Mineral Wells "Mountain"]

[A Rock Outcrop on Mineral Wells "Mountain"]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A rock outcrop, and vegetation typical of the hills (local custom calls them "Mountains") in Mineral Wells. Some of the houses of the town can be seen through the bushes. This photograph is one of 17 negatives that were in an envelope from Charles W. Simonds (Route 5, Box 43, Norman, Oklahoma, 73069), addressed to A.F. Weaver Photography and postmarked Aug. 4, 1975. Some telephone numbers and "Father - C.W. Simonds (Clarence Winfield)" were also on the envelope.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Rock School Bell]

[The Rock School Bell]

Date: unknown
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The "Little Rock School" was Mineral Wells' first public school, built in 1884. The school bell, mounted in a bell tower atop the building, called students to class by ringing 10 minutes before school time; and again at the beginning of the class period. It is now currently on display at the Little Rock School Museum, dedicated to preserving the history of Mineral Wells. This picture is found on page 172 of A. F. Weaver's book "TIME WAS In Mineral Wells", First Edition, with a notation: "The original bell for the old 'Rock School' was found years later in the water department warehouse. R. L. (Pete) Cook is on the left and Derrell Stricklin is on the right."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Rock School House]

[The Rock School House]

Date: 1974
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: The Rock School, erected in 1884, was Mineral Wells' first public school. It was last used in 1957 as a band hall. It was leased to the Mineral Wells Heritage Association in 1974, renovated and converted to a museum dedicated to the preservation of the history of the City of Mineral Wells. This picture appears to have been taken at the time of its renovation and conversion, as the worker on the ladder makes evident. The bell tower has been enclosed, and window screens and doors have been painted or replaced. The property now belongs to the Fifty Year Club, but the museum is still operated by the non-profit Heritage Association.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Roundtree Sanitarium

Roundtree Sanitarium

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: None
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Sam Houston School

Sam Houston School

Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.
Description: Students, teachers and principal D.R. Hudson, of the Sam Houston School in March 1954 stand outside the school building.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Sam Houston School--- An Afternoon Group of 1954

The Sam Houston School--- An Afternoon Group of 1954

Date: March 1954
Creator: Daniel, W.L.
Description: Students, teachers and the principal, D.R. Hudson, of the Sam Houston School's Afternoon Group are shown here in March of 1954. The picture was taken outside the school building.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Sam Whatley & Mr. & Mrs.  Evans Holland ]

[Sam Whatley & Mr. & Mrs. Evans Holland ]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Sam Whatley (left), representing Young Motor Company, presents a check to Mr. & Mrs. Evans Holland (right) for the winning slogan, "Cadillac Every Time for Better Motor Service." Sam was service manager for the motor company, located at 316 East Hubbard Street. The picture is featured in "Time Once was in Mineral Wells" on page 185.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Sam Whatley Presenting Check to Slogan Contest Winner]

[Sam Whatley Presenting Check to Slogan Contest Winner]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Sam Whatley (dressed in a Cadillac uniform), the Service Manager for the Young Motor Company (a local Cadillac dealership), presents a check to Mr. and Mrs. Evans Holland, winners of a slogan contest. The winning slogan was "Cadillac every time for better motor service." The microphone above them is labeled as belonging to station KORC, which opened December 5, 1946. It changed its name to KJSA in 1983, when the station was sold to Jerry Snyder. A colophon on the lower right identifies "SW Photo" as the photographer. (The picture occurs on page 185 of TIME WAS, second edition.)
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library