You limited your search to:

  Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
 Resource Type: Photograph
[Ark and Bimah, main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation]

[Ark and Bimah, main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation]

Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Description: Photograph, taken in 2000, of the "bimah" or altar in the main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Fort Worth. The building was constructed in 1920, rebuilt in 1948 after a fire gutted the interior, and remodeled in 1981. The 1948 rebuilding and redesign were by the Hungarian-American interior designer Erno Fabry. His design ideas include the stone wall behind the altar, built with reddish Colorado travertine, the ark (which contained the Torahs) framed with gray-veined cremo-Italian marble, as well as the gate with its Art Deco design, and the copper-colored menorahs flanking the ark. In 1981, architect-designer John Mike Cohen of St. Louis oversaw a major remodeling of the sanctuary with peach carpet, chairs, and fiberglass lights resembling a flock of dove.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee]

[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee]

Date: 1999
Creator: Schweitzer, Leonard
Description: Photograph of Beth-El's Building Committee. Four of the committee members are seated around a wooden table, the other four members are standing behind them. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say "Briarhaven Planning Committee" "from Len S. Construction book" and list the persons in the photo from left to right. Front row: Lynny Sankary, [Committee Chairman] Irwin Krauss, Judith Cohen, Billy Rosenthal Back row: Ken Baum, Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, Dr. Ira Hollander, Shelden Anisman.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee Discussing Plans]

[Beth-El Congregation Building Committee Discussing Plans]

Date: 1999
Creator: Schweitzer, Leonard
Description: Photograph of Beth-El's Building Committee. The committee members are standing around a wooden table looking at the building plans. Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say "Briarhaven Planning Committee" "from Len S. Construction book" and list the persons in the photo from left to right. Clockwise from left: David Stanford (architect), [Committee Chairman] Irwin Krauss, Ken Baum, Lynny Sankary, Sheldon Anisman, Jane Manning & Bob Wagnon (designers), Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, Judith Cohen.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Beth-El Congregation's First Synagogue]

[Beth-El Congregation's First Synagogue]

Date: 1915
Creator: The Jewish Monitor
Description: Photograph of Temple Beth-El, the first house of worship for Beth-El, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation. It was a two-story, neo-classical synagogue constructed of wood and stucco. Above the columned entrance was a wooden Star of David, beneath which were the Hebrew words "Y'he Or," meaning "Let There Be Light." Handwritten notes on the back of the photograph say, "Beth-El Congregation's 1st synagogue; built 1908 @ 5th & Taylor Streets. Photo from The Jewish Monitor, 1915. Greek Revival Style, The Hebrew Lettering says: 'Let there be light.'"
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Date: 2000
Creator: Lauer, Ralph
Description: Photograph of the entrance to the synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Ave. that served Beth-El Congregation from 1920 to 2000. The building has two stories plus a basement with a social hall and kitchen. It is constructed of red brick and limestone. In the photo, the facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two limestone menorahs above the quotation. The stained-glass windows on the front and side of the building are protected by storm windows. This image shows the front of the building shortly before the congregation moved to a new location across town. Several of the decorative features, particularly the frieze and limestone arches, are stained with black marks from 80 years of air pollution. When the congregation moved in August of 2000, the frieze, menorahs, and a Ten-Commandment carving were removed from the facade and replaced with red brick.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Date: 1970
Creator: Stenzler, Marty
Description: Photograph of the front entrance of the second house of worship for Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish congregation. The two-story building at 207 W. Broadway Ave., was constructed with red brick and limestone accents. The temple's facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two menorahs above the entrance. There are many stained-glass windows on the front and side of the building, protected by storm windows. At the far right of the photograph, Broadway Baptist Church is visible behind the synagogue. There is also a car in the bottom right corner, and a lamppost with the street names "Galveston" and "W. Broadway" in the foreground.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

[Beth-El Congregation's Second Synagogue]

Date: 1948
Creator: J. Allison
Description: Photograph of the second synagogue of Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth's Reform Jewish house of worship. The photo appears to have been taken in 1948 after the temple was refurbished due to a 1946 fire that gutted the interior. The red-brick building, at 207 W. Broadway Ave., has two-stories plus a basement with a social hall and kitchen. The building's facade has a frieze above the entry with a quote from Psalms ("Give Ear, O Lord, Unto My Prayer") as well as two menorahs above the frieze. There are also stained-glass windows around the entrance and along the length of the building. A handwritten note on the back of the photo says, "Exterior 2nd Temple. 207 W. Broadway."
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Bishop Cassata and Rabbi Robert Schur]

[Bishop Cassata and Rabbi Robert Schur]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Bishop John J. Cassata, first Roman Catholic bishop of the Diocese of Fort Worth, and Rabbi Robert Schur together at the Beth-El Congregation in the 1970s.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Cake celebrating Beth-El Congregation's 50th anniversary]

[Cake celebrating Beth-El Congregation's 50th anniversary]

Date: 1952
Creator: Hal Blake Photography
Description: Photograph of the cake celebrating Beth-El Congregation's fiftieth anniversary, from 1902 to 1952. The cake is shaped like a book, a popular cake design in the 1950s. The left side of the cake reads "Fiftieth Anniversary" and the right reads "Beth-El Congregation 1902 - 1952."
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
[Carb family portrait]

[Carb family portrait]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Portrait of the Carb family, a founding family of Beth-El Congregation. Clockwise, from left, Isadore Carb(1852-1915), and his children Meredith Carb, David Carb, and Gladys Carb.
Contributing Partner: Beth-El Congregation Archives
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST