Dear Portal friends: Do you enjoy having history at your fingertips?
We’ve appreciated your support over the years, and need your help to keep history alive.
Here’s the deal: we’ve received a Challenge Grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Now it’s time to keep our word and raise matching funds for the Cathy Nelson Hartman Portal to Texas History Endowment.
If even half the people who use the Portal this month give $5, we’d meet our $1.5 million goal immediately!
donations are tax-deductible and support Texas history: yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
You limited your search to:
Beth-El Congregation Archives
- [Confirmation Class of 1905]
First confirmation class of Beth-El Congregation, 1905, Fort Worth.The six girls are dressed in lacy white dresses, have large white bows in their hair, and hold bouquets of flowers. The 3 boys and the rabbi wear white ties and dark suits.
Front Row: Jennie Levenson (Rosenthal), Erma Carb (Nathan), Gladys Carb (Gugenheim), Bessie Brown (Carb), Marguerite Weltman
Back Row: Nathan Schulitz, Rabbi Joseph Jasin, Rose Laskin, Byron
Gernsbacher, Roy Gernsbacher texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38736/
- Confirmation Class of 1975
Confirmation class of 1975 standing in a sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Ft. Worth.
Debra Reitman, Julie Evans, Polly Boardman, Gayle Margolis, Cathy Sanford, Tami Hoffman, Shari Freed (Stein), Debby Kleiman, Rabbi Robert J. Schur, Aaron Siegel, Douglas Samson, Daniel Blumberg, Eric Rappaport, Michael Altman, Lee Denbina, Russell Feld. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38727/
- [Main sanctuary, Beth-El, ca. late 1920's or mid-1930's]
Children celebrating the holidays of Succot and Simchat Torah in the main sanctuary of the Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, taken in the late 1920s or mid-1930s. This rare photo is among the few that show the original interior of the temple sanctuary, which featured a choir loft and a pipe organ. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38757/
- [Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery, 1928, grave of Ben Levy]
Photograph of Ben Levy's grave and tombstone in the Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery in October of 1928. The grave is covered with flowers. Ben Levy, (b. 8-31-1881, d.10-14-1928) was a jeweler. This is the family plot in which his parents and brothers are also buried. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38769/
- [Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger with wife, Ann, Stan and Marcia Kurtz, and Nobel Laureate Ellie Wiesel]
Photograph of Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, his wife Ann, with Stan and Marcia Kurtz and Nobel Peace Laureate Ellie Wiesel in 2001 at Gates of Chai lecture series, Texas Christian University. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38744/
- [Interior, Beth-El Congregation Sanctuary, after 1981 remodeling]
Interior photograph of the remodeled sanctuary at the Beth-El Congregation at 207 W. Broadway Ave in Fort Worth. Theatre-style chairs circle around a central podium. Large stained-glass windows are visible on the far right and fiberglass lamps, evoking a flock of dove, hang from the ceiling. The sanctuary was designed by St. Louis architect John Mike Cohen. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38773/
- [Past presidents, B'nai B'rith Lodge, Ft Worth]
Photograph of the past presidents of the B'nai B'rith Lodge in Fort Worth. There are seventeen men in two rows with a singular man standing by himself behind the second row. The men in the front row are seated in padded chairs and those behind are standing. They are in an unknown room with vertical stripes on the wall behind them and a patterned carpet on the floor. Seated, left to right: Arthur Rosenthal; unidentified; Herbie Berkowitz; Jack Gerrick; unidentified; Buddy Rosen; Leon Gachman. Standing, left to right: Jerry Wolens; Lou Barnett; Ben Gilbert; Joe Herman; Wally Nass; Sidney Raimey; Max Kaye; Milton Simon; Sidney Levinson; Al Wexler. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38775/
- [Youth Group, Fort Worth Federation Temple Youth (FWFY)]
The Fort Worth Federation Temple Youth group gathered in the social hall of Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Fort Worth. Advisor Ted Hoffman is standing in the back row on the left hand side. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38738/
- [Youth Group Flyer "Temple Teens Interfaith Program." Dec. 1959]
Youth group flyer of the Beth-El Congregation Temple Teens Interfaith Program.
"Temple Teens Interfaith Program
Sunday Dec. 13th
Supper Promptly Served at 6:15
Youth Group of
First Unitarian Church
Will Join Us
All Temple High School Youth Coming to Shabbos Services
Friday, December 18th. "` texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38737/
- [Confirmation Certificate, 1989]
Confirmation Certificate to Mark Weiner.
(Torah Quotation in left hand corner)
"Ye shall be holy for I the Lord your God am Holy" - Lev.19:2
(Corresponding text in Hebrew in opposite corner)
THIS IS TO RECORD THAT
WAS CONFIRMED IN THE FAITH OF ISRAEL
ON June 2 1989
29 Iyar 5749
IN THE PRESENCE OF THE CONGREGATION
Fort Worth, Texas"
(Torah quotation on bottom)
"All that the Lord hath spoken we will do and we will obey" - ex.24:7 texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38722/
- Painting of the First Rabbi of Beth-El Congregation, Rabbi Solomon Philo
Painting of the first rabbi of Beth-El Congregation, Rabbi Solomon Philo (1842-1923). Hired on probation for $100 a month, he served the congregation for its first four months, from September through December of 1902. In the painting, he is a bearded man with white hair and waxed mustache studying from a book on a table in front of him. He wears a dark suit with a bow tie and black skull cap. There are two rings on his fingers and he is leaning on the table. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38749/
- [Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger with wife, Ann; Rabbi Sidney Zimelman and wife, Vivian]
Photograph of Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger of Beth-El Congregation with his wife, Ann, and Rabbi Sidney Zimelman of Congregation Ahavath Sholom Congregation with his wife, Vivian. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38743/
- [In Memoriam]
Wolf & Klar Jewelers' 163 employees signed a certificate giving a Torah to the Beth-El Congregation in 1947 in memory of company founder Alex Wolf. The synagogue, at 207 W. Broadway, was gutted in a 1946 fire and lost most of its Torahs. A photograph of Alex Wolf is in the upper-left corner and a Wolf & Klar Jewelers' logo which says "In Memoriam" is in the lower-right corner. The text at the top of the certificate says:
"In loving memory and respect for our beloved founder, Mr. Alex Wolf, we the employees of Wolf & Klar Companies, dedicate this torah to Beth El congregation, as a memorial to his love and kindness of his fellow men." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38782/
- [Confirmation Class of 1963]
Confirmation Class of 1953 standing together at Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Ft. Worth.
Left to right: William Paul Siegel, Jeannette Rashti, R. Gordon Appleman, Linda Prinz, Marvin Breslau, Peachie Hillman (Rudberg), Rabbi Milton Rosenbaum, Sue Goldstein, Morton H. Meyerson, Rosalyn Levy (Rubin), Don Herman, Arthur Miron. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38729/
- [Congregation Ahavath Sholom]
Exterior photograph of Congregation Ahavath Sholom at 819 Taylor Street in Fort Worth which was razed in 1951. The brick building was constructed in 1906. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38766/
- [Confirmation Class of 1990]
Color photograph of the confirmation class of 1990, Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth. Pictured from left to right, front row: education director Ellen Mack, Deborah Ferstenfeld, Chava Rousch, Andre LaMere, Carinne Wiener, Caryn Taurog, Josh Granek, Melissa Minker.
Second row: Elisa Berman, Dawn Weiner, Gabriella Gluck, Rebecca Schwartz, Jackie Lederman, Mark Goldman, Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger; back row: Seth Friedman, Michael Berenzweig, Ross Cravens, Jeremy Goldman, Michael Gilbert, Greg Bogomol. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38721/
- Confirmation Program, Beth-El Congregation Fort Worth, 1933
Confirmation Program, Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth, including the declarations of the Rabbi and the Unison Readings of the congregation during the Shabuoth and Confirmation service of 1933, during which students graduating from the religious school are confirmed. The list of confirmands is on the 4th page. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38731/
- [Confirmation Class of 1933]
Confirmation class of 1933 standing at the altar of the Beth-El Synagogue at 207
W. Broadway Ave., Fort Worth. This is the first year that the confirmands wore robes -- white for the girls and black for the boys.
From left: Sylvia Levine, Jerome Holland, Lila Letwin (Tuchin), Bill Carb, Dorothy Davis, Ivan Miller, Bernice Gressman (Meyerson), Rabbi Harry Merfeld, Minette Rosenthal (Urbach), Edward Martin, Jayne Davidson (Slatkin), Bill Gilbert, Jane Gernsbacher (Meyerson), David Samson, Helen Klar (Gordon).
In the background are the choir loft and pipe organ. This is one of the few photographs that show the interior of the original synagogue, which was gutted by fire in 1946. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38732/
- ["Presentation," party for Jewish Debutantes]
Photograph of the "Presentation" party for Jewish Debutantes of 1949 at the Beth-El Congregation's social hall at 207 W. Broadway in Fort Worth. The women are arranged in a curve away from the photographer and are holding bouquets of flowers and wearing formal ball gowns. The women from left to right: Charlotte Sue Louis (Alterman), Ruth Hendelman (Berkowitz), Marilyn Caughy (Raff), Harriet Friedson, Sara Kantrovich (Carr), Katherine Spiegel, Bessie Rutlader (Gaines), Rhoda Cohen (Schultz), Mary Sankary (Herman), Ellen Sankary (Smith), Idelle Engelberg (Luskey), Margie Weisblatt (Goone), Adele Nathan (Friedman). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38760/
- [Beth- El Congregation Second Mortgage Bond - $500.00]
Beth-El Congregation Second Mortgage Bond of $500 with payment coupons included. They were signed by Beth-El President Herman Lederman and Secretary Louis Morris. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38718/
- [Facade, Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway Ave, Ft Worth]
Exterior facade of the Beth-El Congregation at 207 W. Broadway Ave in Fort Worth. The building is red brick with three sets of double doors on the front of the building. There are two relief menorahs on the front of the building on either side of a circular window. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38774/
- ["Presentation," party for Jewish Debutantes, 1951]
Photograph of the "Presentation" party for Jewish Debutantes in 1951 in the Venetian Ballroom of the Blackstone Hotel, Fort Worth. The women are arrayed on a staircase in two rows. They are holding bouquets of flowers and wearing formal gowns. There is a palm frond potted plant at the bottom of the stairs. The women from left to right on the back row: Barbara Walensky (Zale), Esther Rosenthal, Gloria Laves, La Rue Glickman (Glazer), Sandra Rashti, Jayne Meyers (Eisen), Sonja Sandler (Stenzler), Sandra Miron (Freed), Yvonne Greene (Lewis). The women from left to right on the front row: Dorothy Prager, Sara Rashti, Realene "Bootsie" Mehl (Coggan), Sandra Zaetler. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38759/
- [Tombstone of Confederate Soldier Jacob Samuels (1836-1906)]
Color photograph of Jacob Samuels' tombstone in the Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery, 1400 block S. Main Street, Ft. Worth. Samuels' name is in raised letters on the face of the tombstone and a confederate battle flag is at the top. Jacob Samuels was a pioneer store keeper, Confederate soldier, and merchant who lived from 1836 to 1906. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38768/
- [Consecration Class of 1985]
Consecration class of 1985, Beth-El Congregation, Ft. Worth.
First row: Ben Blumberg, Henry Smith, Danny Schwartz, Emily Hoffman, Sharon Bzostek
Second row: Joshua Sigman, Haley Florsheim, Joan Miller, Brian Abrams, Julia Schwartz, Lori Miller
Third row:: Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, religious school director Ellen Mack, Rabbi Robert J. Schur, 1st grade teacher Judy Bogomol texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38740/
- [Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery]
Photograph of the 1898 funeral of David Linsky (1850-1898) at Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery in the 1400 block of S. Main Street in Fort Worth. Many horse-drawn buggies and drivers surround the cemetery, which is on a dirt street two miles south of downtown. Linsky, 48, was a member of Woodmen of the World, a fraternal lodge which provided the tombstone for his grave. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38770/
- [Painting #2, montage of ritual images at Beth-El]
Painting #2 which is a montage mural painting of ritual images in the foyer of Beth-El Congregation at 4900 Briarhaven Rd., Fort Worth. The artist was Archie Rand. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38776/
- [Stained-Glass Window Mural]
Color photograph of the stained-glass mural "Sunset" designed in 1979 by Fort Worth artist Evaline Sellers. The stained-glass mural was moved to the new congregation at Briarhaven Road in 2000. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38781/
- [Confirmation Class of 2006]
Confirmation class of 2006 standing at Beth-El Congregation, 4900 Briarhaven Rd., Ft. Worth. Over their robes, each student is wearing a prayer shawl, called a "tallit."
Front Row: Religious School Director Ilana Krust, Marissa Berenson, Erin Hahn, Ace Factor
Back Row: Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, David Williams, Laura Finucane, Eli Holley texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38719/
- [Menorah Sculpture]
Menorah Sculpture cast in bronze by artist Gene Owens. The sculpture was created in 1962 for the Galveston Street entrance to the new religious-school wing of Beth-El Congregation. In the summer of 2000, the sculpture was moved to the congregation's new building at 4900 Briarhaven Rd., where this picture was taken in 2002. Beth-El's archivist, Hollace Weiner, stands behind the sculpture. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38778/
- [Cake celebrating Beth-El Congregation's 50th anniversary]
Photograph of the cake celebrating Beth-El Congregation's fiftieth anniversary, from 1902 to 1952. The cake is shaped like a book, a popular cake design in the 1950s. The left side of the cake reads "Fiftieth Anniversary" and the right reads "Beth-El Congregation 1902 - 1952." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38762/
- [Confirmation Class of 1979]
Individual cameo portraits of the confirmation class of 1979 at Fort Worth's Beth-El Congregation. Split into two pages taken from a synagogue bulletin.
Left Page, Top Row: Robert Stein, Leslie Rosen, Craig Berlin
Left Page, Bottom Row: Gary Margolis, Robin Stien, Daniel Rousch
Right Page, Top Row: Rick Klotz, Evan Pritchard, Tracey Dubosar
Right Page, Bottom Row: Lisa Mack, Tobi Taub, Leslie Freed texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38726/
- [Minutes, third meeting of Beth-El Congregation, October 5, 1902]
Minutes from the third meeting of Beth-El Congregation, Oct. 5, 1902, handwritten in pencil on the back of a courthouse circular. The reverse side of the minutes is a Courthouse Circular, dated Oct. 3, 1902. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38784/
- [Holiday of Succot, ca. 1949-1950]
Students of the Beth-El Congregation celebrate the Holiday of Succot around 1949-1950. They built a succah, a tabernacle or booth covered with seasonal greens and fruits, on the altar of the synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Ave., Fort Worth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38753/
- [Exterior, Beth-El Congregation]
Color photograph of the exterior of Beth-El Congregation's building at 4900 Briarhaven Road, Fort Worth, which was constructed in 2000. The stone menorah, prominently displayed on the side of the building in relief, was removed from the facade of Beth-El's previous synagogue and placed at the entrance to the new building. A matching menorah flanks the other side of the entrance. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38779/
- [Tombstone of Confederate Soldier Jacob Samuels (1836-1906)]
Photograph of the back Jacob Samuels' tombstone in the Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery, 1400 block S. Main Street, Ft. Worth. Samuels name is in raised letters on the face of the tombstone and a symbol of the Masons is at the top which consists of the letter "G" with a compass above and right angle below. Jacob Samuels was a Confederate soldier who live from 1836 to 1906. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38767/
Color photograph of the small sanctuary in Beth-El Congregation's building at 4900 Briarhaven Road in Fort Worth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38780/
- [Rabbi Robert Schur]
Portrait of Rabbi Robert Schur, Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth, taken around 1970. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38746/
- [Organizing Meeting of Beth-El Congregation]
Minutes from the organizing meeting of the Beth-El Congregation in Fort Worth on September 21, 1902. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38786/
- Confirmation Class of 1997
Confirmation class of 1997 standing in the main sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation, Ft. Worth.
Front Row: Grant Rubinson, Ashli Rosenthal, Amanda Hollander, Michael Ferstenfeld, Education Director Claudia Rivera
Back Row: Cantor Karen Webber Gilat, Russell Oshman, Alan Mecklenburger, Ethan Pew, Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38720/
- [Confirmation Announcement, 1989]
Announcement of the Confirmation Class of 1989
Confirmation Class 1989
Philip Bronstein Brian Roper
Andrew Bzostek Jessica Ross
Tyler Cohen Hamilton Schwartz
Jacqueline Miller Michelle Stein
Sara Beth Oderberg Mark Weiner
invite you to join them for the Confirmation Service on
Friday, June 2, 1989
eight o'clock in the evening
Sanctuary at Temple Beth-El
Galveston and Broadway
A reception will follow in the Temple Parlor texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38723/
- [Painting #1, montage of ritual images at Beth-El]
Painting #1 which is a montage mural painting of ritual images in the foyer of Beth-El Congregation at 4900 Briarhaven Rd., Fort Worth. The artist was Archie Rand. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38777/
- [Façade, Beth-El Congregation, 1949]
Exterior photograph of the facade of the Beth-El Congregation synagogue at 207 W. Broadway Avenue in Fort Worth. The building was restored after a fire. The congregation occupied the building from 1920 until 2000. It is still standing. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38758/
- ["Presentation," party for Jewish Debutantes]
Photograph of the "Presentation" party for Fort Worth's Jewish Debutantes on November 24, 1956 in the Venetian Ballroom of the Blackstone Hotel. The women in the front row, holding bouquets of flowers, wear floor-length gowns, while men standing behind are wearing tuxedos. They are standing on a stage with curtains hanging behind them. The back row of men from left to right: Nolan Glazer, David Samson, Phillip Hurwitz, Willard Glazer, Irving Rosenthal, Mitchell Victor, and Joseph Shanblum. The front row of women from left to right: Charlotte Miller (Mehl), Eleanor Klotzman (Gachman), Bertha Samson (Shanblum), Annette Bockstein (Taylor), Shirley Ginsburg (Anton), Betty Jo Dresher (Silberstein), Louise Klar (Lipschitz). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38761/
- [Exterior gate, new Beth-El Congregation]
Photograph of the exterior gate of the new Beth-El Congregation at 4900 Briarhaven Rd. The Star of David is in the center of the gate with lines radiating outward from it. The new synagogue is visible through the gate. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38771/
- Confirmation Class of 1984
Confirmation class of 1984 standing in the sanctuary at Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Fort Worth.
Front Row: Education Director Ellen Mack, Tara Engle, Debra Rubin, Scott Sankary, Brad Greenman, Steven Black
Second Row: Kellie Bowsher, Bradley Lamensdorf, Alissa Baum, Teri Kottler, Michael Margolis, Jeffrey Simon
Back Row: Rabbi Ralph Mecklenburger, Aimee Yentis(Garner), Amy Adelson, Brian Bihari, Curtis Sheldon, Michael Appleman, Rabbi Robert J. Schur. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38725/
- [Consecration Class of 1951]
Consecration Class of 1951 at Beth-El Congregation in Fort Worth. Standing on the far left is Rabbi Milton Rosenbaum holding the Torah. Standing in the back is first-grade teacher Amelia Rosenstein. The consecration ushers children into their religious school studies. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38742/
Union of American Hebrew Congregations certificate of membership for Beth-El Congregation of Fort Worth. The certificate is orange in color and has a star-burst design radiating out from a scroll in the center. There is Hebrew text at the top beneath which is the quotation: "Come, let us take counsel together. --Nch. 6:7." The text on the scroll states:
The Union of American Hebrew Congregations
Hereby certifies that
Fort Worth, Texas
on March 22, 1907 (Nisan 7, 5667) became a duly affiliated
member, entitled to all the rights and privileges of membership
and to full participation in its plans and activities for the
PERPETUATION AND PROGRESS OF JUDAISM IN AMERICA.
Samuel S Hollender
Chairman, Executive Board
Maurice N. Eisendrath
Presented on November 5, 1955. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38783/
- [Confirmation Class of 1946]
Confirmation class of 1946 standing in the sanctuary of Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway, Fort Worth. This is the last photo of the interior of the building before it was gutted by fire in the summer of 1946.
Left to right: Lee Laves, Audrey Groginski, Selma Tiras, Gilbert Friedson, Miriam "Mimi" Bronstein (Klotz), Barbara Faye Cohn, Charlene Rosenthal, Samuel Gilbert, Rabbi Samuel D. Soskin, Beth-El President Raymond Cohen, Danny Glazer, Harriett Friedson, Dorothy Adler, Margot Myers (Feld), Bernard Rosenstein, Diane Soskin, Barbara Rubenstein, Jerald Blum. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38730/
- [Henry and Julia Faulk Gernsbacher. 1930]
Henry and Julia Faulk Gernsbacher (1859-1935) pose for their 50th wedding anniversary photo in 1930. Henry Gernsbacher (1858-1936), a kitchen-supply merchant, was the founder of Fort Worth's Beth-El Congregation. The couple had six sons. Their family business remained in operation until the end of the century. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38751/
- [Confirmation Class of 1909]
Confirmation class of 1909, Beth-El Congregation, Fort Worth. The six girls, dressed in frilly white dresses, hold confirmation bibles and rolled-up confirmation certificates. At their feet are baskets of flowers. The four boys, standing with the rabbi at the center, hold confirmation certificates. Some of the boys have dark ties, and others, white ties.
Front Row: Sara Gernsbacher, Hazel Brann, Dora Eckert (Herman), Lena Solomon (Gernsbacher)
Back Row: Rufus Goldstucker, (first name?) Blumberg, Rabbi George Zepin, (first name?) Lasker, Sol Gordon. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth38734/