You limited your search to:

  Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
The George Home

The George Home

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the George home located on 801 North Adams. The house has raised cottage architecture. In 1890, Will J. and Julia George built their home with lumber from her father, Major J.H. Wood’s house. Cattle baron, J.H.Wood came from New York to join the War for Independence in 1836.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Captain Allen Carter Jones

Captain Allen Carter Jones

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Captain A. C. Jones sitting in the cart of a horse-drawn buggy. A veteran of the last battle of the Civil War, Captain Allen Carter Jones was born in Nacogdoches County in 1830 to early Texas settlers. He served as sheriff in Goliad County from 1858-1860. Jones joined the Confederacy Army as a private when the Civil War began. Within eighteen months, his leadership abilities resulted in his promotion to Captain. In 1874, the Captain settled in Beeville where he became a merchant, banker, land owner, philanthropist, and cattleman. Captain Jones contributed a large share of the funds necessary to bring the railroad to Bee County in 1886. He also served as Beeville’s first mayor, county treasurer, the general manager of the Beeville Oil Mill, and he was a promoter of public schools in the area. He is acknowledged by all as the “Father of Beeville”. Captain A.C. Jones died in 1904.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Buelow General Merchandise

Buelow General Merchandise

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Buelow's General Merchandise store. Mrs. John Buelow was a charter member of the Rosetta Club
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Allsup House in Beeville

Allsup House in Beeville

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the T.H.Allsup house built in 1860 in the Aransas community. T.H. Alsup erected the house, then went to Goliad where he married Miss Caroline Smith. He and his bride made the trip home by horseback.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Lott Canada Teacher Mrs. Garner

Lott Canada Teacher Mrs. Garner

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Mrs. Felix Garner, a teacher in the first Lott-Canada School in Beeville. Her husband, Felix, was a charter member of Jones Chapel Methodist Church, which was organized in 1888. She and her husband ran the first Black cafe in Beeville. The cafe was located across from the train depot. Her father, Henry Shaw, lived to be 112 years old.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
R. L. Eidson Home

R. L. Eidson Home

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of R. L. Eidson's home located on 104 North Jefferson. Occupied by Miss Lois Eidson. The Eidsons were part owners of the Beeville Opera House on N. Washington.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
S.A.&A.P./Southern Pacific Depot in Beeville

S.A.&A.P./Southern Pacific Depot in Beeville

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the S.A.&A.P./Southern Pacific Railroad Depot in Beeville. The marker for the railroad in Bee County is on the site of the old depot. On June 14, 1886, the first San Antonio and Aransas Pass train arrived in Beeville to a cheering crowd. The arrival of the railroad to Bee County came after Uriah Lott, the man responsible for building the S.A.&A.P. railroad, made a formal railroad proposition to Frank O. Skidmore, a wealthy stockman on the Aransas River, asking for a $100,000 bonus to bring the railroad to Bee County. Mr. Lott appealed to stockmen interested in hauling their cattle to market. The committee in charge of raising the bonus was made up of A.C. Jones and John W. Flournoy. In January 1886 Sheriff D.A. T. Walton showed Mr. Lott around Bee County by buggy, and the committee informed him that they had already raised $55,000. Uriah Lott then headed his railroad through Bee County. After the takeover of S.A.&A.P by Southern Pacific in 1925, the depot became an S.P. station. In 1958, the depot was razed, and the last train left Bee County in 1994. Before the railroad all freighting was done by wagon, and most of ...
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Densil Ellis

Densil Ellis

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Densil Ellis as an infant.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Photograph of Captain A. C. Jones

Photograph of Captain A. C. Jones

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a portrait of A. C. Jones. A veteran of the last battle of the Civil War, Captain Allen Carter Jones was born in Nacogdoches County in 1830 to early Texas settlers. He served as sheriff in Goliad County from 1858-1860. Jones joined the Confederacy Army as a private when the Civil War began. Within eighteen months, his leadership abilities resulted in his promotion to Captain. In 1874, the Captain settled in Beeville where he became a merchant, banker, land owner, philanthropist, and cattleman. Captain Jones contributed a large share of the funds necessary to bring the railroad to Bee County in 1886. He also served as Beeville’s first mayor, county treasurer, the general manager of the Beeville Oil Mill, and he was a promoter of public schools in the area. He is acknowledged by all as the “Father of Beeville”. Captain A.C. Jones died in 1904.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
A. J. Turner/The Saffold Home

A. J. Turner/The Saffold Home

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the A. J. Turner/Saffold home located on 612 East Corpus Christi Street. Formerly owned by Mrs. A.J. Turner.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission