You limited your search to:

  Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Chase Field Swimming Pool

Chase Field Swimming Pool

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Postcard of the "Swimming Pool, Chase Field, Beeville, Texas" as printed at the bottom of the card. On June 1, 1943, Chase Field was commissioned as a Naval Air Auxiliary Station to train naval aviators during World War II. The base was named for Lt. Cmdr. Nathan Brown Chase, who went down in the Pacific on a training flight in 1925. After the war, Chase Field was closed until 1953, when it was reopened during the Korean War to help with the over-crowding at NAS Corpus Christi. In July 1968, Chase Field was elevated in status to a full naval air station. With the end of the Cold War and the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the number of armed forces was greatly reduced and on July 1, 1991, Chase Field was put on the list for closure. VT-26 was decommissioned May 22, 1992, with VT-24 and VT-25 de-commissioned on September 18, 1992. Finally, on February 1, 1993, Chase Field was officially disestablished, bringing an end to fifty years of service in naval training.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
First Methodist Church Beeville

First Methodist Church Beeville

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Postcard of First Methodist Church of Beeville, Texas. In 1861, three years after Bee County was organized, the Rev. Berry Merchant of Corpus Christi assisted Beeville Methodist in establishing the Methodist-Episcopal Church. Circuit-riding preachers served the congregation and held services in the courthouse until the early 1870’s, when they built their first church on the corner of Bowie and Monroe Streets. Relocated to 106 East Cleveland in 1904, and blessed with a new sanctuary in 1955, the church continues its role in the religious life of the community.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Washington Street Scene

Washington Street Scene

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Postcard showing the business section of Washington Street in Beeville in the 1930 or 1940's.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Mules/Horses and Buggies near the Courthouse Square Beeville

Mules/Horses and Buggies near the Courthouse Square Beeville

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This is an old photograph of a mott of trees near the courthouse square where people left their wagons pulled by either mules or horses in early Beeville, Texas. Picture courtesy Mrs. R. J. Welder."
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Evergreen Cemetery

Evergreen Cemetery

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Beeville’s oldest cemetery, Evergreen Cemetery, is on Block 1 of the original town site map which was donated in 1859 by Anne Burke. First owned by G.W. McClanahan, the land was bought in 1862 by the county for a “public burying ground”. In 1872, H.W. Wilson donated the northeast strip. Land was added on the northwest, and the court gave consent for a fence. The cemetery was restored in 1970. The cemetery is bounded by Polk, Bowie, Filmore, and Hefferman Streets. The graves shown in the picture are those of the Jones and Carter families.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Lilly Owl Club #134 1893

Lilly Owl Club #134 1893

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of eight officers of the Lilly Owl Club Number 134 in 1893. The name of the officers and their office held in the organization is at the bottom of the photo.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Beeville High School Building 1912

Beeville High School Building 1912

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Beeville's first high school which was dedicated in Oct. of 1912. The two story brick building was located at 601 East Hayes Street, and was named for Captain Allen Carter Jones. Captain Jones’ heirs, following the example of Captain Jones who had donated six acres of land for a school house in 1886, donated the land for this first high school. In 1957, a new A.C. Jones High School was built at 1900 N. Adams Street. This school house became Thomas Jefferson Junior High until it was razed in 1949 to make room for a modern structure that was named William E. Madderra Elementary school.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
McClanahan House

McClanahan House

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the two-story McClanahan House. This home is the oldest business structure in Beeville. It was constructed in approximately 1867. It has served as a general store, lodging house, and post office.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
N. A. S. Chase Field

N. A. S. Chase Field

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: On June 1, 1943, Chase Field was commissioned as a Naval Air Auxiliary Station to train naval aviators during World War II. The base was named for Lt. Cmdr. Nathan Brown Chase, who went down in the Pacific on a training flight in 1925. After the war, Chase Field was closed until 1953, when it was reopened during the Korean War to help with the over-crowding at NAS Corpus Christi. In July 1968, Chase Field was elevated in status to a full naval air station. With the end of the Cold War and the dissolution of the Soviet Union, the number of armed forces was greatly reduced and on July 1, 1991, Chase Field was put on the list for closure. VT-26 was decommissioned May 22, 1992, with VT-24 and VT-25 de-commissioned on September 18, 1992. Finally, on February 1, 1993, Chase Field was officially disestablished, bringing an end to fifty years of service in naval training.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Leanna Ivory Lott, Wife of Mose Jackson Lott

Leanna Ivory Lott, Wife of Mose Jackson Lott

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Leanna Ivory Lott, wife of Mose Lott holding their daughter Nealie Lott. Leanna Lott was a charter member of Jones Chapel Methodist Church. In 1886, her husband, Mose Lott, and Allen Canada build the first school in Beeville for Black children.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission