You limited your search to:

  Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
First National Bank of Beeville

First National Bank of Beeville

Date: January 24, 1913
Creator: unknown
Description: A 1913 postcard with an image of a two-story, brick building labeled "First National Bank Building, Beeville, Texas." The postcard was sent from Beeville January 24, 1913 and addressed to Mr. & Mrs. W. M. Billingsly in Mineral, Texas. Part of the postcard is damaged, but the text reads "...certainly did...ourselves while w...all day think I will fo...my good time any ways...You must come and see us when you come...With Love from R[..]erta & Lonnie"
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
First National Bank of Beeville

First National Bank of Beeville

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Postcard showing Washington Street in Beeville Texas. The ornate building on the left, at the intersection of Bowie and Washington, was the First National Bank of Beeville's location from 1894 to 1960. The First National Bank of Beeville was organized on December 30, 1889, and opened on the courthouse square in 1890. Prior to the opening of First National Bank, people left their money either in sacks under loose floor boards behind the counter of Captain A.C. Jones’ store on the east side of the Public Square, or in kegs under that same counter. The increase in population and trade volume brought on by the arrival of SA&AP, and the Gulf, Western & Pacific Railroads in the late 1880’s made the establishment of a bank necessary. Note the electrical lines along Washington Street. Electrical lights went on in Beeville on November 30, 1896.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Saint Mary's Street Bridge

Saint Mary's Street Bridge

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This postcard, sent in 1907, shows a horse drawn buggy crossing the St. Mary’s Street Bridge over Poesta Creek. In the 1870’s the county provided roads with plowed furrow on each side of a clearing in the direction of Refugio, Goliad, San Patricio, Oakville, Saint Mary’s, and Helena. In 1888, a bond issue called for four bridges. Eight wrought iron bridges were reported at the turn of the century.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
A. V. Schvab

A. V. Schvab

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Portrait of A. V. Schvab, a jeweler and operator of the Kohler Hotel. Hotel Kohler, built in 1932 was a three-story structure located at the corner of Washington and Cleveland Streets.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Cotton in Front of Wimmer Store in Oakville, Texas 1907

Cotton in Front of Wimmer Store in Oakville, Texas 1907

Date: 1907
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of loads of cotton piled onto mule-drawn wagons outside of Wimmer Store in Oakville,located in Live Oak County, Texas. The wagon driver is Lee Crawford. Similiar scenes took place across Bee County in the early 1900's.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Fritz's Restaurant Interior

Fritz's Restaurant Interior

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the inside of Fritz's Restaurant. Frtiz is standing behind the counter with his fist on his hip.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Cook Home

Cook Home

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of John Cook's Victorian style home. Built by John Cook, who was born in 1846 in a Texas-bound wagon train; at 17 he was in the Civil War; in 1866 he married Frances Miller. They first lived in rock house near this site. With his son, R.J., John Cook contributed much to area cattle industry, he raised fine registered Herefords. The house was erected 1897 of select long-leaf pine placed to catch Gulf breezes. Each room opens on a porch. It has 4 fireplaces, with mantels of mahogany, maple, oak. The architecture is Victorian. It was later owned by the Dugat and Warner Families. The house was recorded as a Texas Historic Landmark in 1966
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
McKinney Brothers Store

McKinney Brothers Store

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the inside of the McKinney Brothers Store located in downtown Beeville. According to local legend, a KKK boycott forced Frank McKinney to close the store after he refused to boycott their Catholic customers.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Boarding the Train in 1914

Boarding the Train in 1914

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The railroad not only aided the economy of Bee County, it was also used for recreational purposes. In 1914, this group of Beeville ladies boarded the Southern Pacific train bound for a fun trip to Houston.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Saturday Scene on Streets of Beeville Texas 1892

Saturday Scene on Streets of Beeville Texas 1892

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The intersection of Washington and Corpus Christi Streets in Beeville on a Saturday in 1892. Located at this intersection is the three story Ellis Hotel. A small portion of the courthouse lawn is visible in the lower right corner of the picture. . Captain A.C. Jones, who owned property surrounding the Public Square, offered to donate a building site to anyone who would build a first-class hotel. Francis M. Ellis offered to move his hotel in St. Mary’s to Beeville. His hotel was dismantled with every board numbered, brought in large freight wagons, pulled by eight and ten-horse teams, and rebuilt at this intersection in Beeville. In the 1890’s a third story was added.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission