You limited your search to:

  Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Welder Family Members in Early Bee County

Welder Family Members in Early Bee County

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of members of the Welder Family. Included in the picture are Louisa Welder, her daughter Mrs. Mary O’Connor along with Henry Welder, Jim O’Connor, and Chrys Wood. In 1874 Tom Welder, son of Thomas and Louisa Welder of Refugio Co., moved to Bee County and took up ranching. He drove horses, mules, and cattle to Louisiana and Kansas, and was a rancher his entire life. He served as Bee County Commissioner for twenty-two years and was Vice President of the Beeville Bank and Trust. Other Welder family members ranched in Bee County, and the Welder Family is known throughout South Texas as ranchers, businessmen, and community leaders.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
The Westside School for Mexican Americans Historical Marker

The Westside School for Mexican Americans Historical Marker

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the historical marker dedicated to the West Side School for Mexican Americans. The West Side School for Mexican Americans, also known as Jackson School, was built in the early 1900’s. A two-room frame building served students until 1932, when it was replaced with a brick schoolhouse that stands today. In the 1940’s, the American GI Forum and League of United Latin American Citizens fought against inequality in schools. Their cases in Texas courts and the U.S. Supreme Court decision Brown v. Board of Education ended the legal segregation of schoolchildren. However, by 1938, high school students from the West Side School had already been integrated with A.C. Jones High School. Integration of all Mexican American students was peacefully completed by the mid 1950’s. Long after this second school’s ipso facto case of segregation was remedied in the 1970’s, the building continues as the Adult Education Center and as a reminder of the teachers and students who worked to improve the lives of the Mexican-American population.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
The Wilbur Ray Home

The Wilbur Ray Home

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Wilbur Ray's home located on 211 North Buchanan Street.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
The Wiliam McCurdy Home

The Wiliam McCurdy Home

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of William McCurdy's home located on East Cleveland Street. Mr. McCurdy was the publisher of the Beeville Bee, Beeville’s first newspaper. The home is owned by Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Garza.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
The Wood Ranch

The Wood Ranch

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Glen Clare on horseback working cattle on the Wood Ranch Southeats of Beeville. Across the bottom of the picture are the words "The Wood Ranch, with Glen Clare, southeast of Beeville."
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
FIRST PREV 16 17 18 19 20 NEXT LAST