You limited your search to:

  Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
The Cook Home

The Cook Home

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the Cook home located on 1001 West Cook Road, built by John Cook himself. Born in 1846, in a Texas-bound wagon train, cattleman John Cook fought in the Civil War at age 17. He married Frances Miller in 1866. The cooks lived in a rock house nearby until their tarried Victorian mansion was wired for electricity and completed in 1897. In 1918, the U.S. Cavalry established a camp here..
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Cotton Gin and Stock Pens in Skidmore

Cotton Gin and Stock Pens in Skidmore

Date: unknown
Creator: Skidmore Historical Society
Description: Two photographs taken in Skidmore, Texas. These two pictures of a cotton gin and stock pens represent two important economical activities in early Skidmore. In the early part of the 1900’s, Charles Blaschke and Joe Beyer built a cotton gin near the old overpass. The cotton was carried by hand in baskets from the ginstand up to the press to be made into bales. This gin was sold and later burned. T.C. Buerger built a gin on the Blaschke property in the residential section of Skidmore. Charles Blaschke bought a partnership in the gin. The gin was eventually closed and moved to Olmos where J.S. Hall of Beeville rebuilt it. Thomas R. Atkins, who came to Beeville in 1860, wrote that there were vast herds of Longhorn cattle and thousands of Spanish horses roaming through the tall grass. These cattle and horses were here because of early Spanish ranches in South Texas. Stock raising began in Skidmore about 1840, when cattle were brought from Gonzales and Austin. Mr.Skidmore brought the first registered Hereford cattle to the area in the 1870’s. One rancher settled in the bend of the Aransas Creek with a herd of almost eight hundred cattle. At that ...
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Cotton Hauled by Mules in Oakville

Cotton Hauled by Mules in Oakville

Date: 1907
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of James and Lee Crawford Brother's Freight Co. located in Oakville, Texas. In the foreground, loads of cotton are piled onto mule-drawn wagons. F. H. Church stands in front of the mules in the foreground. Three wagons are visible in front of wooden building. The driver of the first wagon is James Crawford. The photograph was taken at or near where Monroe Fink's office is now. If cotton was hauled to the coast for shipment, it came through Beeville.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Cotton in Front of Wimmer Store in Oakville, Texas 1907

Cotton in Front of Wimmer Store in Oakville, Texas 1907

Date: 1907
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of loads of cotton piled onto mule-drawn wagons outside of Wimmer Store in Oakville,located in Live Oak County, Texas. The wagon driver is Lee Crawford. Similiar scenes took place across Bee County in the early 1900's.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Dedication of Marker for Saint Rose Cemetery in Beeville, Texas

Dedication of Marker for Saint Rose Cemetery in Beeville, Texas

Date: August 2008
Creator: unknown
Description: Saint Rose Cemetery was designated a Texas Historical Cemetery during a dedication ceremony in August 2008. Dr. Barbara Welder, chair of the Bee County Historical Commission, spoke at the dedication which was attended by Lawrence Oaks, Executive Director of the Texas Historical Commission. This historical African American burial ground was formally deeded in 1921. However, some burials took place prior to that; with the earliest known burial being that of a former slave, Nancy Williams, dating from 1901. Among the prominent individuals interred here are Mose Lott and Allen Canada, the two men who built the first Beeville schoolhouse for African Americans; several veterans of conflicts dating back to World War I; and Mrs. Mary Canada, who was a mediator between the black and white communities during the “incident free” desegregation of the Beeville Independent School District.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Densil Ellis

Densil Ellis

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Densil Ellis as an infant.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Dick Scott Home

Dick Scott Home

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Dick Scott's home located on 710 South Saint Mary's. At the end of the first decade of the twenty century, W.C. and Zella Buerger built the large two-story house. In 1915, the Buergers sold the house to a nephew of Captain A.C. Jones, John R. “Dick” Scott and his wife, Sudie. Later owned by O.D. and Sylvia Rudeloff and then by Mrs. Lois Mueller, the grand old mansion was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Cruz Alaniz, Sr. in 1958. In the late 1990’s, their daughter-in-law and son, Olga and Luis Alaniz, restored the old Scott house, where they enjoyed its close proximity to their business, Alaniz and Perez Garage, just across the street.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Downtown Beeville in 1917

Downtown Beeville in 1917

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Postcard of Washington Street in Beeville in 1917. The person who sent it mentioned going on an "auto ride".
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Downtown Skidmore 1904

Downtown Skidmore 1904

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of early Skidmore in 1904. The Elite Hotel on the corner was where Dr. I.N. Thompson had his office. A devastating fire in 1919 took its toll of Skidmore. A large block of business houses burned to the ground at the time, and it is thought to have started in an empty saloon. Businesses burned in this fire were the Elite Hotel, W.R. Miller’s Dry Goods Store, Andy Tedford’s Saloon, Gus Staples’ Garage, Howard Faupel’s Barber Shop, M.M. White’s Store, Mrs. Murray’s Café, Midway Saloon, Galloway’s Confectionery, Kemp’s Tailor Shop, a millinery store, Borcher’s Hardwar Store, and Ed Crow’s Palace of Sweets Confectionery, featuring the first popcorn machine and the first moving picture show in the back of the store.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission
Early Beeville Resident on a Donkey

Early Beeville Resident on a Donkey

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Densil Ellis riding on a donkey.
Contributing Partner: Bee County Historical Commission