You limited your search to:

  Partner: Burnet County Historical Commission
[Black's Fort Stone Slab in Grassy Field]

[Black's Fort Stone Slab in Grassy Field]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Slide of a pointed stone slab placed in the middle of an unkempt field of grass, amidst red and yellow flowers. An aged wooden fence can be seen in the back, creating a boundary between the stone and a larger field in the background. The slab bears an inscription just beneath a small relief of a five-pointed slab within a wreath. It reads: "Black's Fort - Built as a defense against the Indians in 1855 by William Black - 1815 - - 1907 - on land owned by him. In the stockade, constructed of cedar logs, sentries were kept on guard on moonlight nights * Guns and ammunition for public use were kept here * Abandoned in 1868."
Contributing Partner: Burnet County Historical Commission
[Mountainside and Creek in Daylight]

[Mountainside and Creek in Daylight]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Slide of an outdoor scene identified as Cow Creek. A sloping mountainside is seen in the background, with multiple, lush trees scattered on its ground. A wide body of water leads up to it, interrupted in its downward stream by protruding mounds of sand and rocks. Small bushes flank each side.
Contributing Partner: Burnet County Historical Commission
[Wide View of Sloping Hills and Trees at Hickory Pass]

[Wide View of Sloping Hills and Trees at Hickory Pass]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Slide of a sloping hillside known as Hickory Pass. From the vantage point of the photograph, several thick clusters of bushes can be seen dispersed all along the terrain. In the distance, a narrow winding road recedes into the distance.
Contributing Partner: Burnet County Historical Commission
[Rock Wall Receding into Background]

[Rock Wall Receding into Background]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Slide of a rock wall built on an unkempt grassy area. The wall has an uneven height, composed of rocks of varying colors and size, and appears to be quite long. It recedes into the background at a sharp angle and appears to meet a tree seen in the distance. Accompanying information assigns the name "Black's Fort" to the location, but there is no other significant information supplied.
Contributing Partner: Burnet County Historical Commission
[Bell, Plaque, and Flower Vases on Stone Construction]

[Bell, Plaque, and Flower Vases on Stone Construction]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Slide of a medium-sized plaque placed within a type of stone altar. Mounted on top is a black bell with a supporting structure holding it upright. Two pots flank either side, both of which have a register of decorative schema running along their width. "Elephant ear" plants have been placed inside them. The actual plaque has an inscription of text in golden relief. It reads: "This property has been placed on the National Register of Historical Places by the United States Department of the Interior."
Contributing Partner: Burnet County Historical Commission
[Mount Horeb Lodge]

[Mount Horeb Lodge]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Slide of a long, presumably two-story, structure known as Mount Horeb Lodge. An inclined, metal roofing sits atop the blue-tinted stone structure with multiple, sequential double-hung windows. On the far right, a garage-type entry can be seen, fully opened. A narrow, dirt path leads up to a door on the far left of the structure. The State Historical Survey Committee has placed its name on the signpost in the foreground, inscribed in small print around the circle surrounding an image of the state of Texas. The line of text that follows reads: "Mount Horeb Lodge - Chartered Jan. 21, 1854; met in log schoolhouse. Erected own lodge hall 1856 on land given by grand master Sam Mather and B. K. Stewart, first floor used as church and school. A fire in 1915 razed hall. Lodge rebuilt here 1916 on land given by G. T. and W. J. Williams. (1967)"
Contributing Partner: Burnet County Historical Commission
[Wooden Lodge Past Wire Fence and Grassy Field]

[Wooden Lodge Past Wire Fence and Grassy Field]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Slide of small, single-story structure constructed out of horizontal wooden posts. The gable roof is missing its pediment, revealing a dark interior. On both sides, it is flanked by a short rock wall, with tall, unkempt grasses crowding it. Additionally, there appears to be a kind of outdoor chimney on the left side of the house, behind the wall. Near the foreground, a few species of flowers can be seen, as well as a wire fence. Accompanying information assigns the name "Black's Fort" to the location.
Contributing Partner: Burnet County Historical Commission
[Strickling Town Post in Front of Fenced Grassy Area]

[Strickling Town Post in Front of Fenced Grassy Area]

Date: 1970~
Creator: unknown
Description: Slide of a signpost demarcating the site of Strickling, Texas. The post is on the far left, in front of a wire and wood fence that has been placed among tall, unkempt grasses. Small yellow inflections of color from the foliage can be seen behind it, with trees of varying heights in the very back. On the actual signpost, a line of text follows an emblem of the state of Texas, and it reads: "Site of town of Strickling -- Once a busy rural community. Named for Mrs. Martha (Webster) Strickling, who settled here in 1853 with husband Marmaduke. As child, she survived killing of some 30 settlers in infamous Webster massacre near Leander, and months of indian captivity. Post office opened here, 1857. And Strickling became a mail terminal and stage stop. Tons of lumber and buffalo hides were hauled through here. The town had a school, churches, a doctor's office, and stores. Strickling gradually declined when bypassed by the railroad, 1882. Only the cemetery remains. (1970)"
Contributing Partner: Burnet County Historical Commission
[Indian Marker Tree]

[Indian Marker Tree]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Slide of a large tree with a thick, inclined trunk pointed to the left. To the right, there appears to be a single-story structure with a metal roof and a small fence flanking its side. Accompanying information provides the name "Indian Marker Tree" for the slide, but no other information is supplied.
Contributing Partner: Burnet County Historical Commission
[Wide Shot Photograph of a Landscape]

[Wide Shot Photograph of a Landscape]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Slide of a large expanse of terrain. A tall sloping hill is visible in the background across the width of the photograph. Several lines of trees in succession can also be seen running the width of the image, with large gaps formed by the areas which they do not occupy. In the very distance, on the left, there appears to be a single-story structure. Its gabled and light-colored roof can be seen, as well as a chimney and perhaps a patio, nestled among a group of leafy trees.
Contributing Partner: Burnet County Historical Commission
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST