Description: Slide of a signpost demarcating the site of Strickling, Texas. The post is on the far left, in front of a wire and wood fence that has been placed among tall, unkempt grasses. Small yellow inflections of color from the foliage can be seen behind it, with trees of varying heights in the very back. On the actual signpost, a line of text follows an emblem of the state of Texas, and it reads: "Site of town of Strickling -- Once a busy rural community. Named for Mrs. Martha (Webster) Strickling, who settled here in 1853 with husband Marmaduke. As child, she survived killing of some 30 settlers in infamous Webster massacre near Leander, and months of indian captivity. Post office opened here, 1857. And Strickling became a mail terminal and stage stop. Tons of lumber and buffalo hides were hauled through here. The town had a school, churches, a doctor's office, and stores. Strickling gradually declined when bypassed by the railroad, 1882. Only the cemetery remains. (1970)"
Contributing Partner: Burnet County Historical Commission