You limited your search to:

  Partner: Cleveland Historic Society
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2011
[75th Anniversary Commemorative Quilt]
Color photograph of a quilt commemorating the 75th anniversary of Cleveland, Texas's incorporation as an independent municipality. The quilt's surface has been stitched with hand prints, each representing one of 53 individuals that were citizens of Cleveland in 1935. Each hand print bears the name and birth year of its corresponding owner. A young girl and a woman stand to the right of the quilt. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253169/
75th Celebration Schedule of Events
List of the eldest residents of the City of Cleveland, for the 75th Anniversary Celebration. The list includes the names of the individuals, their birthdays, their age, and the color for their Senior Birthday Certificates. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253162/
75th Celebration Schedule of Events
List of events for the City of Cleveland's 75th Anniversary Celebration. The list includes a timeline outlining events from July 2, 2010 to July 4, 2010. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253161/
[Band Performing at Perks Steakhouse]
Photograph of Light Crust Doughboys, a popular country western band, performing at Perks Steakhouse in Cleveland, Texas. There are six members in the band playing various instruments. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253149/
[Cars in Santa Parade]
Photograph of cars driving in the Cleveland Santa Parade. The car in the foreground has a logo on the side that advertises the Flower House and reads, "We telegraph Flowers". Stores in the background include Texas Jewelry, T. C. Hill Insurance, and Lack's. On the left is the Farmers State Bank and United Gas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253153/
[Children Outside the Cleveland School]
Copy negative of three young girls standing beneath a tree outside of the Cleveland School. There are two boys in the distance standing near a bike, and two girls talking behind them. Children can be seen sitting on the steps of the school in the background. The school was first built as the Cleveland Grammar School and later became Cleveland High School, facing Dallas Street. Southside Elementary was later erected on the side and faced towards Ft. Worth Street. The Cleveland ISD Tax & Central Offices now occupy the Dallas Street side. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253189/
[City Hall in Cleveland, Texas]
Color photograph of the Cleveland, Texas city hall, a mostly one-story building that is surrounded by sidewalks and lawns. Two flagpoles with the Texas flag and the American flag are visible near the entrance of the building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253181/
[City of Cleveland Emblem]
One-page pamphlet containing a photograph of the emblem of the City of Cleveland. The emblem is gold and has a large blue letter 'C' with a red star in the middle. The caption beneath the photograph reads, "Cleveland.... A Product of the Pines." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253166/
[Civic Center of Cleveland, Texas]
Color photograph of the Cleveland, Texas Civic Center, a two-story building surrounded by sidewalks, grassy areas, and small trees. There are several windows on the front facade of the building. Two flagpoles, one with the Texas flag and one with the American flag, flank the entrance. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253182/
[Clements Brothers Drug Store]
Photograph of the interior of the Clements Brothers Drug Store and pharmacist Tom Clements. There are multiple displays around the store, including a Kodak display on the far, back right, cosmetics on the shelves on the right, and newspapers on the front counter. There is a White Owl ad on the cigar counter on the front left, and a soda fountain with six stools. A man is standing behind the counter on the left where chips, peanuts, and cookies are displayed in glass jars. There are Christmas decorations hanging across the ceiling with strands of tinsel. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253188/
[Cleveland Colored School Drill Team]
Photograph of the Cleveland Colored School Drill Team. There are four rows of girls lined up performing a drill. They are wearing skirts and cowboy hats and holding batons. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253190/
[Cleveland Dairy Day]
Copy-print photograph of four children with calves at Cleveland Dairy Day in Cleveland, Texas. They are the children of Mr. and Mrs. L. O. Ward, and from left to right are Peggy, Freddie, Dottie, and John Lewis Ward. An accompanying note states that the cow tied to the fence in the background stepped on the young girl's toe and she didn't hold its reins for the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253157/
[Cleveland Dairy Day Milking Contest]
Photograph of a young girl milking a cow for the Cleveland Dairy Day Milking Contest. She is wearing a long polka dot dress and smiling towards the camera. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253151/
[Cleveland Dairy Days]
Photograph of contestants and cattle shown in an arena. There are spectators seated in covered and uncovered stands around the arena. Two children are seated on top of the wooden fence in the bottom-right. The 2012 site contains a Wells Fargo Bank. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253193/
[Cleveland High School Baseball Team]
the Cleveland High School baseball team. They are seated outdoors near the dugout. Their jerseys read "Cleveland Indians." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253192/
Cleveland, Texas 1935-2010
Document discussing the incorporation of Cleveland, Texas. It briefly describes the history of the Cleveland area and identifies Charles Lander Cleveland, the original owner of the patent of the land. His photograph is shown at the bottom of the page. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253167/
Cleveland, Texas is incorporated in 1935
Document that lists historical events that occurred in 1935, the year that Cleveland was incorporated, in the United States and beyond. The list includes songs, movies, political issues, sports, and average prices and wages from that year. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253165/
Cleveland, Texas: What a Hometown Should Be
Pamphlet endorsing Cleveland, Texas as the "gateway to the outdoor pleasures of the East Texas forest country." Highlighted points in the pamphlet include a list of Cleveland events, the Civic Center, outdoor amenities and attractions, and a map of the area. A brief introduction to Cleveland's early history and a list of future attractions are also included. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253185/
[Cleveland Tire Service]
Photograph of the exterior of the Cleveland Tire Service shop in Cleveland, Texas. Five employees are standing outside the front of the building next to rows of tires. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253155/
[Cleveland's Oldest Known Resident]
Information about the City of Cleveland's oldest known resident, identified as Linia Hamilton Alfred. The paper provides information about her life and major historical events that occurred while she was growing up. She was born on October 31, 1904 and is currently a great-great-great grandmother. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253163/
[Early Churches of Cleveland, Texas]
Compilation of information about churches in Cleveland, Texas including histories, church leaders, and other information. The church sketches include the Galilee Praise and Worship Center (later Galilee Missionary Baptist Church), the African Methodist Episcopal Church (later New Bethel African Methodist Church), First United Methodist Church, First Baptist Church, Calvary Baptist Church, and St. Mary's Catholic Church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253159/
[Early Cleveland School]
Copy negative of an early school in Cleveland, Texas. A large group of people is standing in front of the building facing towards the camera. There are two people in the background in the doorway of the school. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253197/
[Employee of the Santa Fe Railroad]
Cropped copy-print photograph of a young girl, "little barefoot" Lillie Snider, with her father Ed "Shorty" Snider. She is holding a lunchbox and facing towards the camera. Her father is an employee of the Santa Fe Railroad in Cleveland, Texas. He is standing behind her by a barrel on a wooden cart. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253158/
[First Baptist Church of Cleveland, Texas]
Color photograph of the First Baptist Church building in Cleveland, Texas, as viewed from the front facade with the steeple in view. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253171/
[First United Methodist Church in Cleveland, Texas]
Color photograph of the First United Methodist Church building in Cleveland, Texas, as seen from the front with the announcement marquee in view. The building boasts tall, decorative rectangular windows and an entrance door framed within a pointed arch. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253170/
[Fostoria Lumber Company Baseball Team]
Photograph of the Fostoria Lumber Company Baseball Team seated outside. There are nine men wearing white baseball uniforms and four other men seated with them. Fostoria was once a thriving lumber town with a hotel, company store, homes, schools, churches, and a cemetery. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253150/
[Group of Ladies Auxiliary Women from World War I]
Photograph of a group of Ladies Auxiliary Veterans from World War I. They are standing around a table that has an Auxiliary Veterans flag laid on top. An American flag and a Veterans plaque are on the wall behind the group of women. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253145/
[Interior of Fostoria Commissary]
Photograph of the interior of Fostoria Commissary in Fostoria, Texas. The front counter features different styles of men's hats. There is a weight machine in the foreground that gives character readings. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253196/
[Letter from Cleveland Mayor Jill Barnett Kirkonis]
Letter from the mayor of the City of Cleveland. It discusses the 75th Anniversary of the city, and talks about the achievements that have been made over the years. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253168/
[Letter From Texas Governor Rick Perry]
Document from Texas Governor Rick Perry, recognizing the 75th Anniversary of the City of Cleveland. He is extending his greetings to the town and wishing them a memorable celebration. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253160/
[Marching Band and Twirlers in Santa Parade]
Photograph of a marching band and a group of twirlers in the Santa Parade in Cleveland, Texas. Six women are in the foreground twirling batons with the marching band behind them. A small group of spectators watches from the side of the road. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253154/
[Mary Frances Anglin, The First Dairy Day Queen]
Black and white photograph of a young woman, Mary Frances Jenkel, née Anglin, being crowned the first Dairy Day Queen, on stage at the 1954 Dairy Day in Cleveland, Texas. She is wearing a velvet coronation robe. The town mayor at the time, N.A. Walker, bestows the honor. A young boy standing near them is holding the crown's pillow. A sizable group of people on stage watch from behind them as the event takes place. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253186/
[Meekins Super Marker]
Photograph of the inside of Meekins Super Market in Cleveland, Texas. Employees and Mr. and Mrs. Meekins are shown. From left to right the individuals are identified as Jim Grayson, Mr. Henry the Sunshine Salesman holding a box of Krispy Crackers, owners Jessie and Horace Meekins, J. D. Spiller, Douglas Mizell, Edna Wood Gilchriest, Ager Turner, and Mrs. Lavada Hutchinson. Seen behind the Meekins is a display of Nabisco Crackers, the cash register shows a sale of $3.89. Roi Tan cigars, King Edward cigars, Old Gold cigarettes, B. C. Headache powders, and Stan Back for headaches and pains are shown on the counter. On the right of the register is a box of Krispy Crackers, Hi Ho Crackers, and Kool Aid. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253195/
[Municipal Airport of Cleveland, Texas]
Color photograph of the Cleveland, Texas municipal airport, a small, red brick building with a metal roof. A few shrubs have been planted at the front facade of the building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253184/
[Municipal Court of Cleveland, Texas]
Color photograph of the Cleveland, Texas municipal court building, a single-story building with a parking lot in front. A blue pick-up truck is parked in the lot. Directly adjacent to the parking lot is a grassy area where a brick wall marker sits that reads, "City of Cleveland Police and Court." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253183/
[Negro Chamber of Commerce of Cleveland First Annual Banquet]
Photograph of the First Annual Banquet for the Negro Chamber of Commerce of Cleveland, Texas. There are people seated at rows of tables in front of a stage with a black curtain and a banner for the banquet. A woman is speaking at a podium in front of the stage, and two young boys can be seen in the bottom-right corner of the photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253144/
[Pee Dinker Football Team]
Photograph of the Pee Dinker Football Team from Cleveland, Texas. The team is seated outdoors in front of the bleachers on a football field. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253148/
[Photo of Calvary Baptist Church in Cleveland, Texas]
Color photograph of the Calvary Baptist Church in Cleveland, Texas, as seen from the front with the steeple in view. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253172/
[Portrait of Moon and Jo Ann Young]
No Description texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253179/
[Postcard of a Historic Block in Cleveland, Texas]
Postcard of the historic 100 block of North Travis Street of Cleveland, Texas in 1909. Behind a tall, narrow wooden pole in the foreground are three buildings situated side to side. The building on the far right is the Wright Hotel. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253174/
[Postcard of Cleveland Grammar School]
Postcard of the Cleveland Grammar School, a two-story building with numerous windows. A large group of children are standing in front of the building amidst the grove of trees just outside the school. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253178/
[Postcard of the City Jail in Cleveland, Texas]
Postcard of the Cleveland City Jail in the early 1900s. Four men are standing in front of the jail, which is a small, rectangular building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253175/
[Postcard of the Ed Garvey Saloon in Cleveland, Texas]
Postcard of the Ed Garvey Saloon, a historic site in Cleveland, Texas. A group of men are standing in a queue in front of the saloon, which is a two-story building. There is a small shed in front. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253176/
[Postcard of the Historic Wright Hotel]
Postcard of the Wright Hotel, a two-story hotel originally located at the corner of Houston Street and North Travis Street in Cleveland, Texas. It was destroyed by a fire in 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253173/
[Postcard of the Souther Pacific Depot in Cleveland, Texas]
Postcard of the Southern Pacific Depot in 1917. Five men are standing in front of the building, which is a one-story building. The railroad is visible running from left to right next to the depot. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253177/
[Pressley Brothers Transfer Trucks]
Copy-print photograph of cotton loaded onto Pressley Brothers Transfer Trucks to be hauled to Kehoe Company in Houston, Texas. Cotton was bought by E. M. Hoffer and Garvey. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253156/
[Pressley Transfer Truck]
Photograph of a large Pressley Transfer Truck in Cleveland, Texas. The logo on the side of the truck is in white letters and states that they pack and crate, deliver local and long distance, and are bonded and insured. There are vehicles in the parking lot behind the truck and the sign for Cleveland Dry Goods Company can be seen in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253146/
[Program for Dedication Ceremony of Cleveland, Texas Gateway Marker]
Single-sided program for the gateway marker dedication ceremony in Cleveland, Texas. The heading "Discover Cleveland" is at the top of the program, right above an illustration of the gateway marker. According to the program, the creation of the gateway marker was a 2006 project of the "Keep Cleveland Beautiful Organization." On April 11, 2007, at 10 a.m. the ceremony was held at the site of the marker, Highway 59 South at Washington Avenue. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253180/
[Santa Float in Parade]
Photograph of a Santa float during the Cleveland Santa Parade. There is a man dressed as Santa Claus waving towards the crowd and two young children on the float. Sweet's Barber Shop and the Smart Shoppe can be seen behind the crowd watching the parade. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253194/
[Santa Parade in Downtown Cleveland, Texas]
Photograph of a car during the Santa Parade in downtown Cleveland, Texas. The car shows the logo "Cleveland Kiwanis" and is on the corner of East Houston and Travis Street. The Farmer's State Bank and Texan Theater, playing Call Me Madam, can be seen in the background. There is a crowd of people congregated by the side of the road near the Super Value Grocery. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth253152/
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST