Creator: American Lumberman
Description: Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill number 1, burner, mill pond, and fuel house. This view is from atop the water tower. Also known as "mill 1," it cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and replaced with a modern sawmill by September of that year.
Contributing Partner: The History Center