Creator: American Lumberman
Description: Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 2, also called the hardwood mill. This view is from the log end and shows hardwood logs on a band saw dock, a band saw, and a company employee. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954.
Contributing Partner: The History Center