You limited your search to:

  Partner: The History Center
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Right of Way - 2]
Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company right of way in the woods, showing timber piled alongside. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204350/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Saw Filer Shop]
Photograph of two Southern Pine Lumber Company workers filing circle saws in a saw filer's workshop. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204241/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmil No. 1 from Mill Pond]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 1 from across the mill pond with logs in the foreground. To the right is the log unloading dock. A mill pond worker is also shown standing on logs in the pond. Also known as "mill 1," it cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204290/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill 1 - Southeast]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1 looking southeast across the unloading dock. Note the mill pond workers standing on logs in the middle of the pond. This mill cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204456/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill 2 Engine Room]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 2 engine room. This is a Corliss steam engine built by Filer & Stowell. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204459/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill 2 Interior - South]
Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 2 from the south, showing mill workers posing for the photograph. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204454/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill Aerial View]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill and mill firehouse, aerial view. The mill pond is shown in the background. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine, producing 250,000 board feet daily as well as 60,000 feet of lath. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204224/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill Interior]
Photograph of the interior of Southern Pine Lumber Company's sawmill and various mill workers. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine, producing 250,000 board feet daily as well as 60,000 feet of lath. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204221/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 1]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill number 1, burner, mill pond, and fuel house. This view is from atop the water tower. Also known as "mill 1," it cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and replaced with a modern sawmill by September of that year. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204276/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 1 from Mill Pond]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1, also called the yellow pine mill, looking from the mill pond. The log loading dock is depicted on the right. Notice the "endless chain" incline descending from the mill into the pond. The white buildings to the left of the mill are power houses. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204313/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 1 Interior - South End]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1 interior from the south end, showing mill machinery. It was also called the "yellow pine mill" because it cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204296/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 2 as viewed from a point slightly west of the dry kilns. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204281/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2 at Sunset]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 2 as seen from across the mill pond at sunset. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204292/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2 Boilers]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 2 boilers, showing a boiler room worker. Sawmill 2 was also called the hardwood mill. The boilers were made by Casey-Hedges Company of Chattanooga, Tennessee. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204336/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2 Corliss Steam Engine]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 2 Corliss steam engine built by Filer & Stowell. Also shown are three company employees. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204299/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2 Interior]
Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 2, also called the hardwood mill. This view is from the log end and shows hardwood logs on a band saw dock, a band saw, and a company employee. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204300/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill Timber Dock]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill timber dock. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204250/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill view from the Mill Pond]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill from the mill pond. The photograph shows the endless chain extending from the mill into the pond, and the angled dock from which logs were dumped into the pond off of rail cars. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine, producing 250,000 board feet daily as well as 60,000 feet of lath. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204246/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmills]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmills from across the mill pond from a point 100 feet east of the locomotive water tank. The burner and water tower are shown between the sawmills. Sawmill 1, the yellow pine mill, is on the left and sawmill 2, the hardwood and pine mill is on the right. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204314/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmills - 2]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmills at a distance from the extreme length of the mill pond. Sawmill 1, the yellow pine mill, is on the left and sawmill 2, the hardwood and pine mill, is on the right. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204315/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmills at Night]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmills at night with the mill pond in the foreground. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204416/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmills - North End View]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmills from the extreme north end of the mill pond. This picture was made with a long focus lens. Sawmill 1, the yellow pine mill, is on the left and sawmill 2, the hardwood and pine mill is on the right. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204316/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Self-Stoking Sawmill Boilers]
Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company worker in front of company self-stoking sawmill boilers. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204220/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Shed Interior]
Photograph of the interior of a Southern Pine Lumber Company shed showing stacked lumber and various workers. This could be the dry shed or the dressed lumber shed. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204236/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Slip Tongue Log Skidder and Team]
Photograph of a high-wheeled, slip-tongue log skidder with its teams and driver. The driver would straddle the cart over felled logs, where dangling tongs would be positioned to raise the end of a log off the ground when the mules pulled the tongue forward, allowing the log to "skid" along under the cart's rolling wheels. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204261/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Tennis Court]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company tennis court and club at play, while showing the lumber yard in the background. The company had an athletic society that was open to young men who held semiexecutive positions such as office workers. Baseball was another focus of the society. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204311/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company White Oak Boards]
Photograph of four white oak boards manufactured by the Southern Pine Lumber Company. The boards measure 2" x 19" x 16'. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204408/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Worker at a Sawmill Steam Engine]
Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company worker at a Corliss steam engine in one of the company sawmills. The engine was built by Filer & Stowell Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204219/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Worker with Record Books]
Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company worker at a table with record books. It appears that he is placing a seal on a document or binding a book. This is likely in the Texarkana, Arkansas main office. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204240/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Workers with Lumber Carts]
Photograph of Southern Pine Lumber Company workers with loaded lumber carts. Company housing can be seen in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204254/
[Stacked Lath near the Dry Kilns]
Photograph of dried stacked lath sitting in front of the Southern Pine Lumber Company dry kilns. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204255/
[Stacked Lumber near a Shed, Possibly the Dry Shed]
Photograph of a stack of lumber outside of what is possibly the Southern Pine Lumber Company dry shed. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204237/
[Star Hotel]
Photograph of the Star Hotel in Diboll, Texas. The hotel was built by 1903 and generally accommodated office personnel and traveling salesmen. It is where Southern Pine Lumber Company founder T. L. L. Temple stayed when visiting Diboll from Texarkana, Arkansas prior to the company library being built adjacent to the commissary circa 1908. The Star Hotel was remembered for its large dining room which fed up to thirty people at one time. The closure date is unknown but by 1939 the building had been torn down. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204257/
[Star Hotel - 2]
Photograph of Diboll's Star Hotel, which was located across the Southern Pacific railroad tracks from the commissary. The hotel was built by 1903 and generally accommodated office personnel and traveling salesmen. It is where Southern Pine Lumber Company founder T. L. L. Temple stayed when visiting Diboll from Texarkana, Arkansas prior to the company library being built adjacent to the commissary circa 1908. The Star Hotel was remembered for its large dining room which fed up to thirty people at one time. The closure date is unknown but by 1939 the building had been torn down. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204317/
[Steam Skidder and Crew]
Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company steam skidder and crew. Tongs at the ends of the skidder's cables were attached to cut logs and dragged to the railroad right of way where they would later be loaded onto rail cars. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204358/
[Steam Skidder and Crew - 2]
Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company steam skidder and crew posing for a photograph. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204360/
[Steam Skidder and Crew - 3]
Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company steam skidder crew posing for a photograph in front of the steam skidder. Note the tools the men are holding. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204372/
[Texas Congressional Delegation]
Photograph of members of the Texas Congressional Delegation at a dinner in Washington, D.C. Front row sitting left to right: Jake Pickle, Jim Wright, Jack Brooks, Lloyd Bentsen, Kika de la Garza, unidentified. Second row standing left to right: Ralph Hall, Mickey Leland, Kent Hance, Martin Frost, unidentified, Charles Wilson, unidentified, unidentified, Jim Mattox, Phil Gramm, unidentified, unidentified. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth255267/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company Right of Way]
Photograph of a section of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company right of way, three miles west of Diboll. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204433/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 1]
Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company engine 1 at Vair station, Trinity County, Texas. Engine 1 was 4-4-0 steam locomotive built by Dickson Manufacturing Company circa 1884. It was original operated by either the Houston, East & West Texas Railway or the Kansas & Gulf Shortline. The TSE may have acquired it in 1898. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204392/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 3]
Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 3. Note the split wood fuel in the tender and the brakemen on the wooden car roofs. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204258/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 3 at the Southern Pine Lumber Company Mill Pond]
Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 3 ready to unload logs into the Southern Pine Lumber Company mill pond. The photograph shows how mill pond workers would release the chained logs using poles. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204248/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 3 near Blix]
Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 3 along the right of way near Blix station, western Angelina County, Texas. Engine 3 was a Baldwin 2-6-0 steam locomotive that was believed to be originally built for the Vicksburg, Shreveport and Pacific Railway. It was later sold to mining operations in Uvalde, Texas in 1939. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204427/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 4]
Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 4 pulling a Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway freight car, a TSE caboose, and twelve cars of pine logs. Ed Baucum is the engineer. Engine 4 was a Baldwin 4-6-0 steam locomotive that the TSE purchased in March 1904 from the Ragley Lumber Company for $3,500. It was sold to the Lufkin, Hemphill and Gulf Railway in November 1921. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204424/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 4 - Broadside]
Photograph of a broadside view of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 4. Engine 4 was a Baldwin 4-6-0 steam locomotive that the TSE purchased in March 1904 from the Ragley Lumber Company for $3,500. It was sold to the Lufkin, Hemphill and Gulf Railway in November 1921. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204445/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 5]
Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 5 at Blix station along the TSE right of way in western Angelina County, Texas. Engine 5 was a Baldwin 4-6-0 steam locomotive built in 1905. It was later sold to Urbana Gravel Company of Urbana and scrapped in 1954. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204426/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 5 near Blix]
Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 5 near Blix with railroad track construction workers. A Lidgerwood sits in front of engine 5 and a Bucyrus steam shovel is seen in the background. This is in western Angelina County, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204431/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 6]
Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 6, probably in Trinity County near camp 2. American Lumberman identifies this as a switch engine. Engine 6 was a Baldwin 2-6-0 steam locomotive built in 1905 for Southern Pine Lumber Company and later transferred to Temple Lumber Company of Pineland, Texas, which was Southern Pine's "sister" operation. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204385/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 7]
Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company's engine 7 and a train of twenty cars of pine logs. Engine 7 was a 4-6-0 Baldwin locomotive built new for the TSE in 1906. It was later sold to Sand & Gravel Company of Columbus, Texas in 1938. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204401/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 7 at the Mill Pond]
Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company engine 7 with a train of log cars beside the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1 mill pond. The sawmill is shown in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204402/