You limited your search to:

  Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives
 Language: English
[1930 Ahavath Sholom Dues Statement]
Bill for $125 in annual dues for the Ahavath Sholom Congregation, in Fort Worth, Texas. The dues statement is for congregation member, B. Max Mehl. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117169/
Family Night at La Grave Field
Flyer promoting "Family Night at La Grave Field" with the Fort Worth Cats, a minor league baseball team from Fort Worth, Texas. The flyer is promoting a game between the Cats and a team in Houston, Texas. There is an illustration of a baseball player holding a bat. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117194/
[Memorial Service Flyer]
Flyer announcing a community memorial service to be held at the Ahavath Sholom Synagogue in Fort Worth, Texas. The memorial service was in memory of local soldiers "fallen in battle," and was officiated by Rabbi Samuel Soskin and Rabbi Charles Blumenthal. The soldiers remembered were: Richard Burt, Harold Gilbert, Alvin Rubin and Walter C. Sanders. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117207/
[Letter to a Gold Star Mother]
Typed letter from Amon Carter and his son, Amon Carter Jr. to "a Gold Star Mother." Gold Star Mothers is a support organization formed for mothers who lost a son or daughter in World War II. The letter expresses condolences and comfort to Rose Gilbert and was accompanied by a gift basket of grapefruits, as noted in the letter. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117206/
[Letter from Harry Goldstein]
Typed letter to the family of Private Harold Gilbert from a fellow soldier named Harry Goldstein, sent from Marseilles. The letter describes the sinking of a troop transport ship, Dec. 25, 1944, in which in which Gilbert was killed. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117205/
[Hebrew Institute Building Fund Committee]
Letterhead stationary for the Hebrew Institute Building Fund Committee outlining all the donors for the institute and their monetary contributions. The building, designed by the architectural firm of Field and Clarkson, was constructed between April and August of 1914 in the 800 block of Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas at a cost of $14,668. The top left corner of the document shows an architectural drawing of the building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117173/
[Ahavath Sholom Minutes]
Handwritten list of the thirty one members of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation in 1895 in Fort Worth, Texas. The front of the document lists the members of the congregation, and the back of the document lists the officers. When the list was created, Ahavath Sholom was the only synagogue in Fort Worth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117179/
[Yiddish Minutes]
Handwritten minutes for the Ahavath Sholom Congregation in Fort Worth, Texas. The minutes are written in Yiddish, the native tongue of the members. The document discusses the Sabbath morning services for the congregation. The English translation of the document is as follows: "R Meeting Congregation Ahavath Sholom Fort Worth, Tex. Jan. 12th 96 The meeting was called to order at 3:30 P.M. by B. Levenson, President. The minutes of the last regular meeting were read and approved. The Committee to pay Armstrong’s note reported that the treasurer had paid Armstrong $25 and received a receipt for them. They received an extension for the balance with 10 per cent interest for 4 months. The committee was discharged. Brother S[am] Kalish had sent in a resignation letter, withdrawing from membership at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. It was ordered to strike his membership according to his wish. Brother Solshauzen read his resignation as secretary of the Congregation, which was accepted. L[ouis] Shanblum was appointed temporary secretary until the new secretary would be elected. The secretary was instructed to write postcards regarding the general meeting for the 4th Sunday in the month to inform all members that the election of a new secretary would take place. It was brought before the meeting that there should be a minyan every Saturday, pursuant to the bylaws reading. The secretary was instructed to write postcards to all members to come to daven on Saturday at the shul. 5.50 Dues collected 1.00 A[be] Mehl for a seat 6.50 .50 Payments for postcards 25.00 To Armstrong 6.00 Order to payment to the Home Building Association 31.50 The meeting concluded. Ben Levenson." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117181/
[Yiddish Minutes]
Handwritten minutes for the Ahavath Sholom Congregation in Fort Worth, Texas. The minutes are written in Yiddish, the native tongue of the members. The minutes discuss a legal dispute with a "chazzan," or a prayer leader who sued the congregation. The English translation of the document is as follows: "R. Meeting Congregation Ahavath Sholom Fort Worth, Tex. October 6th 1895. The meeting was called to order at 4 P.M. by B[en] Levenson, President. The minutes of the last regular meeting were read and approved. The committee regarding the auditing of the treasurer’s books of Brother Jacobs’ brought in a report that everything was in order and correct. The committee was discharged. The bylaws were read at the meeting and it was moved and seconded that they should be adopted and henceforth the full power of the by-laws are in force. The bylaws committee was discharged with thanks. Brother Jacobs and B[rother] President were appointed to settle with the lawyer about the chazzan, and they have the full power to settle. Mr. Salsberg was accepted as a member in Ahavath Sholom. A bill was brought in for esrog and lulav for $2.50 and was accepted. And a voucher was allowed to be drawn on the treasury of Ahavath Sholom. A receipt was brought in by J[acob] Samuels for spittoons for $3.00 and was applied as a $2.00 donation and a dollar for a seat. The committee for providing the esrog is dismissed with thanks. Collected in donations $3; dues 50-cents. The meeting was closed. B. Levenson." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117180/
[George Marshall's Sympathy Card]
A letter from General George C. Marshall, the United States Army Chief of Staff, expressing his condolences for the death of an unidentified soldier. The text reads: "General Marshall extends his deep sympathy in your bereavement. Your son fought valiantly in a supreme hour of his country's need. His memory will live in the grateful heart of our nation." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117200/
[Letter to Ahavath Sholom]
Typed letter from B. Max Mehl to the Ahavath Sholom Congregation. In the letter, Mehl responds to a dues statement sent to him from the congregation. The letter is requesting a corrected dues statement due to the congregation overcharging Mehl. The stationery includes a colored illustration at the top of the page that says, "Importer of and Dealer in Rare Coins, Medals, and Paper Money of all Countries and Periods" texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117170/
[Ladies Cemetery Society Minutes]
Handwritten minutes for the Ladies Cemetery Society commenting on the death of Private Harold Gilbert, the son of the society's recording secretary, Rose Gilbert. The text notes: “The absence of the secretary ...who had the misfortune of losing her son, Harold, Dec. 25, 1944, in the European Theater of the war, made the meeting a sad one; each and every one of the members present were in tears.” On the second page of the minutes, the group’s long-time president Mrs. Becky Goldstein recalls how she and Mrs. Gilbert used to “go out to collect dues at 25 cents each. Mrs. Gilbert furnished the horse and buggy.” texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117208/
[Sample Jewish Marriage Certificate]
Sample marriage certificate (called a Ketubah) presented to couples married at the Congregation Ahavath Sholom in Fort Worth, Texas as of 1990. The certificate includes three panels. On the far left, text primarily in English describes the vows of marriage. In the center, the main text of the certificate is in Hebrew with blanks for specific information; the text is surrounded by illustrations of plants and crops. On the far right there are lines for names and signatures of participants and witnesses. This form was designed by the Rabbinical Assembly (an organization of American Conservative rabbis). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117175/
[B'nai B'rith Youth District Convention]
Photograph of the teenagers at a 1956 B'nai B'rith Youth Organization (BBYO) district convention n Montgomery, Alabama. The conclave was at Huntingdon College. The male wing of the organization is called Aleph Zadik Aleph (AZA), and the female wing is called B'nai B'rith Girls (BBG). Text at the bottom of the photograph says, "BBYO District 7 Convention, Huntington College June 5-10, 1956 Montgomery, Ala." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117199/
[Letter to Gilbert Family]
Photostatic copy of a typed letter from the United States Secretary of War, Henry Stimson, to Max Gilbert. The letter awards Gilbert's son, Harold Gilbert with a Purple Heart for his service, and it expresses Stimson's condolences for the death of Harold Gilbert. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117203/
[Western Union Telegram]
Photostat of a telegram from the United States Secretary of War to Mrs. Rose H. Gilbert, expressing his condolences for the death of her son, Private Harold Gilbert. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117202/
[Letter to Gilbert Family]
Two photostat copies of a typed letter from William J. Voelker Jr. to Mrs. Max Gilbert, mother of Private Harold Gilbert. The letter describes the attack that killed Harold Gilbert, and discusses the details of Gilbert's burial in Normandy, France on on Dec. 27, 1944. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117204/
[1921 Ahavath Sholom's First Confirmation Class]
In 1921, Fort Worth’s Congregation Ahavath Sholom introduced the rite of Confirmation, the graduation from religious school that coincides with the Jewish holiday Shavuos when Moses received the Ten Commandments. This picture shows the twelve, 14-year-old girls in the Confirmation class wearing white dresses, holding flowers and certificates rolled up like scrolls. The students are seated in two rows and are identified as: Row 1: Lena Shosid (Cooles), Fannie Herman, unidentified, Hannah Byrens, Bess Lipshitz (Cohen), unidentified Row 2: Sarah Shosid (Bloomberg), unidentified, unidentified, Leah Goldstein (Gerson), unidentified, unidentified An article in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram of June 3, 1921, named each confirmand and also listed Dorothy Cohen, Rose Weinstein, Bertha Mosier, Ida Mosier, Edna Lipshy, and Esther Ablon. Each confirmand addressed the congregation. They completed a course of study in Jewish history, religion and literature. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117182/
[Book Fair Poster 1965]
Poster for the annual book fair "sponsored by the Council of Jewish Women," as noted on the front on the poster. Full poster text reads: "Book Fair, Give your Books Now to be Sold at Nominal Prices at the BOOK FAIR, APRIL 3 thru 11, SEMINARY SOUTH SHOPPING Center. PHONE WA3-7495 for FREE PICK-UP. PROCEEDS TO BENEFIT TARRANT COUNTY Youth Projects." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117195/
[Book Fair Poster 1979]
Poster for the annual book fair sponsored by the Fort Worth, Texas section of the National Council of Jewish Women, as noted on the front of the poster. The full poster text reads: "THE 21st YEAR BOOK FAIR, MARCH 11 - MARCH 19, At the Lena Pope Home, corner of Hulen and West Freeway (I-20). Sponsored by Ft. Worth Section of the NATIONAL COUNCIL OF JEWISH WOMEN. All kinds of books for sale at nominal prices, proceeds for TARRANT COUNTY COMMUNITY PROJECT. Deposit your used books in barrels located throughout the city." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117196/
[Fort Worth Cats Flyer]
Illustrated flyer for a Men's Club brunch at Congregation Ahavath Sholom featuring as guest speakers ball players from the Fort Worth Cats, the local minor league baseball team. The flyer invites all members to come enjoy food, baseball and festivities at the Sunday brunch, April 12, 1953. There is an illustration of a cowboy holding a lasso, a baseball and a baseball bat on the flyer. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117209/
[Portrait of Alvin Rubin]
Photograph of Lieutenant Alvin Rubin, an Air Force pilot from Fort Worth, Texas. He is pictured from the chest up, wearing his uniform. Rubin was killed in an plane crash over Dakar, French Africa on March 15, 1944. A graduate of Paschal High, he was a past chapter president of AZA, the B'nai B'rith youth group for boys. Fort Worth's Rubin-Gilbert AZA chapter is named after him and Pvt. Harold Gilbert, who also died in the war. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117213/