You limited your search to:

  Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives
 Decade: 1920-1929
[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1920s]

[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1920s]

Date: 1920~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a mid-1920s confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are twelve girls wearing white dresses. Rabbi Abraham Bengis stands at the center. The students are unidentified.
Contributing Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives
[1921 Ahavath Sholom's First Confirmation Class]

[1921 Ahavath Sholom's First Confirmation Class]

Date: 1921~
Creator: unknown
Description: In 1921, Fort Worth’s Congregation Ahavath Sholom introduced the rite of Confirmation, the graduation from religious school that coincides with the Jewish holiday Shavuos when Moses received the Ten Commandments. This picture shows the twelve, 14-year-old girls in the Confirmation class wearing white dresses, holding flowers and certificates rolled up like scrolls. The students are seated in two rows and are identified as: Row 1: Lena Shosid (Cooles), Fannie Herman, unidentified, Hannah Byrens, Bess Lipshitz (Cohen), unidentified Row 2: Sarah Shosid (Bloomberg), unidentified, unidentified, Leah Goldstein (Gerson), unidentified, unidentified An article in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram of June 3, 1921, named each confirmand and also listed Dorothy Cohen, Rose Weinstein, Bertha Mosier, Ida Mosier, Edna Lipshy, and Esther Ablon. Each confirmand addressed the congregation. They completed a course of study in Jewish history, religion and literature.
Contributing Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives
[1928 Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class]

[1928 Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class]

Date: May 27, 1928
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the 1928 Ahavath Sholom confirmation class standing on the altar (called a bimah) of the synagogue located downtown in the 800 block of Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas. From left to right, the confirmands are: Rebecca Luskey, Cecile Bodzy, Martha Daiches, Mrs. Abraham Bengis (teacher), Rabbi Abraham Bengis, Esther Klimist, Sally Kruger, Sarah Garston. Behind the confirmands is a replica of the Ten Commandments which rests above the curtained ark, which houses the Torah scrolls. In front of the dais is a seven-branched menorah.
Contributing Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives
[Ahavath Sholom Sunday School Students]

[Ahavath Sholom Sunday School Students]

Date: 1925
Creator: Jernigan Studios
Description: Photograph of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation Sunday School students. They are standing on the front steps outside the synagogue in the 800 block of Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas. From left to right, top to bottom, the students in the photograph are: Row 1: Betty Carshon, Rachel Kruger, Dora Laves, Lena Rovinsky, Udys Weinstein, Lily Dworkin, Joe Ray Schwartzberg. Row 2: Charlie Anton, Milton Mehl, Arthur Rosenbaum, Charlotte Ray, Lily Levine, Molly Finger, Freda Hurwitz, Rae Carshon, Mary Bliss, Sylvia Shosid. Row 3: Alex Victor, William Hurwitz, Irving Kershman, Julius Scolnic, Mary Resnick, Sophia Blum, Mary Herman, Ida Berg, Beatrice Frankrich, Reva Nebrat, Gertrude Ellis, Raymond Dan. Row 4: Sidney Deutch, David Tuck, Rubin Anton, Norma Resnick, Lily Alpert, Rose Chicotsky, Hannah Chicotsky, Anna Gordon, Martha Daiches. Row 5: Nathan Frankel, Abe Goldstein, Abe Shosid, Paul Herman, Johanna Winer, Sadie Rovinsky, Sarah Garston, Irving Rosenthal. Row 6: Sidney Marks, Minnie Snofsky, Esther Klimist, Rebecca Lutsky, David Bernstein, Max Perlman, Sarah Kruger, Rosalie Bliss. Row 7: Morris Schwartz, Grace Dworkin, Lola Bozokofsky, Hyman Jacobson, Cecil Bozokofsky, Helen Kassover, Sonia Gulila, Sam Weisblatt, Florence Kassover, Patricia Jacobson.
Contributing Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives
[Hebrew Institute Baseball Game]

[Hebrew Institute Baseball Game]

Date: 1920~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of members of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation playing baseball outside the Hebrew Institute at 819 Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas. The photograph is mounted on a wooden base.
Contributing Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives