You limited your search to:

  Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives
[Ahavath Sholom Synagogue]

[Ahavath Sholom Synagogue]

Date: 1980
Creator: unknown
Description: Congregation Ahavath Sholom's fourth synagogue, designed by architect Martin Growald, constructed by contractor Perry McCord and completed in December 1980. The $3.5 million synagogue was located on 12 acres at the corner of Hulen Street and Briarhaven Road. The photograph is taken at night time, and there are lights shining on the building's white stone facade. The words "Congregation Ahavath Sholom" and the congregation's logo are on the exterior of the building.
Contributing Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives
[Letter from Harry Goldstein]

[Letter from Harry Goldstein]

Date: August 9, 1945
Creator: Goldstein, Harry
Description: Typed letter to the family of Private Harold Gilbert from a fellow soldier named Harry Goldstein, sent from Marseilles. The letter describes the sinking of a troop transport ship, Dec. 25, 1944, in which in which Gilbert was killed.
Contributing Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives
[Ladies Cemetery Society Minutes]

[Ladies Cemetery Society Minutes]

Date: January 16, 1945
Creator: Mehl, Mrs. I. N.
Description: Handwritten minutes for the Ladies Cemetery Society commenting on the death of Private Harold Gilbert, the son of the society's recording secretary, Rose Gilbert. The text notes: “The absence of the secretary ...who had the misfortune of losing her son, Harold, Dec. 25, 1944, in the European Theater of the war, made the meeting a sad one; each and every one of the members present were in tears.” On the second page of the minutes, the group’s long-time president Mrs. Becky Goldstein recalls how she and Mrs. Gilbert used to “go out to collect dues at 25 cents each. Mrs. Gilbert furnished the horse and buggy.”
Contributing Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives
[1928 Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class]

[1928 Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class]

Date: May 27, 1928
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the 1928 Ahavath Sholom confirmation class standing on the altar (called a bimah) of the synagogue located downtown in the 800 block of Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas. From left to right, the confirmands are: Rebecca Luskey, Cecile Bodzy, Martha Daiches, Mrs. Abraham Bengis (teacher), Rabbi Abraham Bengis, Esther Klimist, Sally Kruger, Sarah Garston. Behind the confirmands is a replica of the Ten Commandments which rests above the curtained ark, which houses the Torah scrolls. In front of the dais is a seven-branched menorah.
Contributing Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives
[1961 Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class]

[1961 Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class]

Date: May 14, 1961
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the 1961 Ahavath Sholom confirmation class standing around the altar of the synagogue at 1600 W. Myrtle St., Fort Worth, Texas. The women are standing in the front and wearing light-colored robes; the men are standing in the back and wearing dark-colored robes. From left to right, the confirmands pictured are: Front row: Arlene Lois Sonkin, Leslie Faye Kreisberg, Karen Sue Imber, Andrea Bernstein (Deen), Marlene Annette Schwartz, Andrea Ruth Goldberg, Trudy Klimist, Diane Jane Mehl. Second row: Harold Zenick, Helen Susan Hillman, Gail S. Shandelson, Ellen Bari Brachman, Carol Klimist, Sally Ann Schumer, Karen Ann Lerner. Third row: Michael Raskin, Ronald Herzfeld, Lawrence J. Korenman, Edward H. Garsek, Gerald Zenick, Sanford Bogart, Charles Morton Coughey, Tommy Lee Stanley. Back row: Ronald D. Savitz, Herbert Weisblatt, Ben P. Herman, Cantor Phillip Kirshner, Rabbi Isadore Garsek, Ben D. Tobor, Sherwin Coplin, Richard J. Savitz.
Contributing Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives
[1946 Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class]

[1946 Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class]

Date: June 1946
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the 1946 Ahavath Sholom confirmation class standing around the altar (called a bimah) of the synagogue located downtown in the 800 block of Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas. From left to right, the members of the photograph are: Front Row: Rabbi Charles Blumenthal. Middle Row: Bessie Rutlader, Roselle Cooles, Ruth Spigel, Mary Sankary, Ruth Hendelman, Marilyn Coughey, Margie Weisblatt, Pearl Sankary. Back Row: Marshall Hillman, Sammy Hoffman, Sherwin Rubin.
Contributing Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives
Family Night at La Grave Field

Family Night at La Grave Field

Date: August 1952
Creator: B'nai B'rith Lodge
Description: Flyer promoting "Family Night at La Grave Field" with the Fort Worth Cats, a minor league baseball team from Fort Worth, Texas. The flyer is promoting a game between the Cats and a team in Houston, Texas. There is an illustration of a baseball player holding a bat.
Contributing Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives
[Hebrew Institute Baseball Game]

[Hebrew Institute Baseball Game]

Date: 1920~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of members of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation playing baseball outside the Hebrew Institute at 819 Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas. The photograph is mounted on a wooden base.
Contributing Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives
[B'nai B'rith Youth District Convention]

[B'nai B'rith Youth District Convention]

Date: June 1956
Creator: Robertson, Paul
Description: Photograph of the teenagers at a 1956 B'nai B'rith Youth Organization (BBYO) district convention n Montgomery, Alabama. The conclave was at Huntingdon College. The male wing of the organization is called Aleph Zadik Aleph (AZA), and the female wing is called B'nai B'rith Girls (BBG). Text at the bottom of the photograph says, "BBYO District 7 Convention, Huntington College June 5-10, 1956 Montgomery, Ala."
Contributing Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives
[Portrait of Abraham and Hedwig Salsberg]

[Portrait of Abraham and Hedwig Salsberg]

Date: 1916
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Abraham Salsberg (1870-1957) and Hedwig Salsberg (1870-1940), parents of Archie Salsberg. The pair are standing together and were photographed outdoors. Hedwig (left) is wearing a dark-colored dress and has her left arm through her husband's right. Abraham (right) is wearing a light-colored suit and is holding a hat in his left hand. He was a charter member and longtime board member at Fort Worth's Congregation Ahavath Sholom.
Contributing Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives