You limited your search to:

  Partner: Fort Worth Jewish Archives
[Ahavath Sholom Minutes]
Handwritten list of the thirty one members of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation in 1895 in Fort Worth, Texas. The front of the document lists the members of the congregation, and the back of the document lists the officers. When the list was created, Ahavath Sholom was the only synagogue in Fort Worth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117179/
[Yiddish Minutes]
Handwritten minutes for the Ahavath Sholom Congregation in Fort Worth, Texas. The minutes are written in Yiddish, the native tongue of the members. The minutes discuss a legal dispute with a "chazzan," or a prayer leader who sued the congregation. The English translation of the document is as follows: "R. Meeting Congregation Ahavath Sholom Fort Worth, Tex. October 6th 1895. The meeting was called to order at 4 P.M. by B[en] Levenson, President. The minutes of the last regular meeting were read and approved. The committee regarding the auditing of the treasurer’s books of Brother Jacobs’ brought in a report that everything was in order and correct. The committee was discharged. The bylaws were read at the meeting and it was moved and seconded that they should be adopted and henceforth the full power of the by-laws are in force. The bylaws committee was discharged with thanks. Brother Jacobs and B[rother] President were appointed to settle with the lawyer about the chazzan, and they have the full power to settle. Mr. Salsberg was accepted as a member in Ahavath Sholom. A bill was brought in for esrog and lulav for $2.50 and was accepted. And a voucher was allowed to be drawn on the treasury of Ahavath Sholom. A receipt was brought in by J[acob] Samuels for spittoons for $3.00 and was applied as a $2.00 donation and a dollar for a seat. The committee for providing the esrog is dismissed with thanks. Collected in donations $3; dues 50-cents. The meeting was closed. B. Levenson." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117180/
[Yiddish Minutes]
Handwritten minutes for the Ahavath Sholom Congregation in Fort Worth, Texas. The minutes are written in Yiddish, the native tongue of the members. The document discusses the Sabbath morning services for the congregation. The English translation of the document is as follows: "R Meeting Congregation Ahavath Sholom Fort Worth, Tex. Jan. 12th 96 The meeting was called to order at 3:30 P.M. by B. Levenson, President. The minutes of the last regular meeting were read and approved. The Committee to pay Armstrong’s note reported that the treasurer had paid Armstrong $25 and received a receipt for them. They received an extension for the balance with 10 per cent interest for 4 months. The committee was discharged. Brother S[am] Kalish had sent in a resignation letter, withdrawing from membership at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. It was ordered to strike his membership according to his wish. Brother Solshauzen read his resignation as secretary of the Congregation, which was accepted. L[ouis] Shanblum was appointed temporary secretary until the new secretary would be elected. The secretary was instructed to write postcards regarding the general meeting for the 4th Sunday in the month to inform all members that the election of a new secretary would take place. It was brought before the meeting that there should be a minyan every Saturday, pursuant to the bylaws reading. The secretary was instructed to write postcards to all members to come to daven on Saturday at the shul. 5.50 Dues collected 1.00 A[be] Mehl for a seat 6.50 .50 Payments for postcards 25.00 To Armstrong 6.00 Order to payment to the Home Building Association 31.50 The meeting concluded. Ben Levenson." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117181/
[Zionist Convention]
Photograph of the Texas Zionist Association Convention at the Shearith Israel Congregation in Dallas, Texas. There are men and women in suits and dresses seated outside the synagogue. There is a Star of David above the doorway of the synagogue with a Hebrew word that translates to "Zion" as well as American and Zionist flags hanging from the building. From left to right, the known members seated in the front row are: Moses Shanblum (fourth from left), Joe Jacobs (fifth from the right), William Goldstein, Israel N. Mehl (with his two children). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117210/
[Freeman-Fram Marriage Certificate]
Printed marriage certificate (called a "Ketubah" in Hebrew) for Nathan Freeman of Waco, Texas, and Etta Rebecca Fram of Dallas, Texas. The couple were married on January 19, 1913, by Rev. Abraham Fram, Etta's father and the cantor at Dallas' Sheareth Israel Congregation. The Hebrew quotation at the top of the document translates as: "The voice of joy; the voice of happiness; the voice of the groom and the voice of the bride." There is an illustration of a marriage ceremony at the top of the certificate in blue ink. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117212/
[Hebrew Institute Building Fund Committee]
Letterhead stationary for the Hebrew Institute Building Fund Committee outlining all the donors for the institute and their monetary contributions. The building, designed by the architectural firm of Field and Clarkson, was constructed between April and August of 1914 in the 800 block of Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas at a cost of $14,668. The top left corner of the document shows an architectural drawing of the building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117173/
[Portrait of Abraham and Hedwig Salsberg]
Photograph of Abraham Salsberg (1870-1957) and Hedwig Salsberg (1870-1940), parents of Archie Salsberg. The pair are standing together and were photographed outdoors. Hedwig (left) is wearing a dark-colored dress and has her left arm through her husband's right. Abraham (right) is wearing a light-colored suit and is holding a hat in his left hand. He was a charter member and longtime board member at Fort Worth's Congregation Ahavath Sholom. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117216/
[Portrait of Gertrude Fox]
Hand-tinted, engagement photograph of Gertrude "Gertie" Fox (1894-1966) of Fort Worth, Texas. She is visible from the chest up, wearing a dark evening gown with rosettes at the left shoulder. She holds a feathered fan in front of her. Fox was from Corsicana and moved to Fort Worth in 1916 when she married Archie Salsberg. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117215/
[Salsberg-Fox Wedding]
Photograph of the 1916 wedding of Gertrude Fox and Archie Salsberg on the altar at Congregation Ahavath Sholom's synagogue in downtown Fort Worth, Texas. The bride and groom stand in the center of the photograph, surrounded by men wearing tuxedos and top hats and women wearing silk and taffeta dresses. Above the bridal party is a wedding canopy (called a Chuppah in Hebrew). It takes the shape of an arbor covered with flowers and crepe paper resembling wedding bells. Above the arbor there is a ledge containing two tablets inscribed with the Ten Commandments, written in Hebrew, with a potted plant and sculpted lion on either side. A large portion of the lower-right corner of the photograph is missing. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117214/
[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1920s]
Photograph of a mid-1920s confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are twelve girls wearing white dresses. Rabbi Abraham Bengis stands at the center. The students are unidentified. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth404845/
[Hebrew Institute Baseball Game]
Photograph of members of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation playing baseball outside the Hebrew Institute at 819 Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas. The photograph is mounted on a wooden base. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117174/
[1921 Ahavath Sholom's First Confirmation Class]
In 1921, Fort Worth’s Congregation Ahavath Sholom introduced the rite of Confirmation, the graduation from religious school that coincides with the Jewish holiday Shavuos when Moses received the Ten Commandments. This picture shows the twelve, 14-year-old girls in the Confirmation class wearing white dresses, holding flowers and certificates rolled up like scrolls. The students are seated in two rows and are identified as: Row 1: Lena Shosid (Cooles), Fannie Herman, unidentified, Hannah Byrens, Bess Lipshitz (Cohen), unidentified Row 2: Sarah Shosid (Bloomberg), unidentified, unidentified, Leah Goldstein (Gerson), unidentified, unidentified An article in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram of June 3, 1921, named each confirmand and also listed Dorothy Cohen, Rose Weinstein, Bertha Mosier, Ida Mosier, Edna Lipshy, and Esther Ablon. Each confirmand addressed the congregation. They completed a course of study in Jewish history, religion and literature. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117182/
[Ahavath Sholom Sunday School Students]
Photograph of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation Sunday School students. They are standing on the front steps outside the synagogue in the 800 block of Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas. From left to right, top to bottom, the students in the photograph are: Row 1: Betty Carshon, Rachel Kruger, Dora Laves, Lena Rovinsky, Udys Weinstein, Lily Dworkin, Joe Ray Schwartzberg. Row 2: Charlie Anton, Milton Mehl, Arthur Rosenbaum, Charlotte Ray, Lily Levine, Molly Finger, Freda Hurwitz, Rae Carshon, Mary Bliss, Sylvia Shosid. Row 3: Alex Victor, William Hurwitz, Irving Kershman, Julius Scolnic, Mary Resnick, Sophia Blum, Mary Herman, Ida Berg, Beatrice Frankrich, Reva Nebrat, Gertrude Ellis, Raymond Dan. Row 4: Sidney Deutch, David Tuck, Rubin Anton, Norma Resnick, Lily Alpert, Rose Chicotsky, Hannah Chicotsky, Anna Gordon, Martha Daiches. Row 5: Nathan Frankel, Abe Goldstein, Abe Shosid, Paul Herman, Johanna Winer, Sadie Rovinsky, Sarah Garston, Irving Rosenthal. Row 6: Sidney Marks, Minnie Snofsky, Esther Klimist, Rebecca Lutsky, David Bernstein, Max Perlman, Sarah Kruger, Rosalie Bliss. Row 7: Morris Schwartz, Grace Dworkin, Lola Bozokofsky, Hyman Jacobson, Cecil Bozokofsky, Helen Kassover, Sonia Gulila, Sam Weisblatt, Florence Kassover, Patricia Jacobson. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117177/
[1928 Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class]
Photograph of the 1928 Ahavath Sholom confirmation class standing on the altar (called a bimah) of the synagogue located downtown in the 800 block of Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas. From left to right, the confirmands are: Rebecca Luskey, Cecile Bodzy, Martha Daiches, Mrs. Abraham Bengis (teacher), Rabbi Abraham Bengis, Esther Klimist, Sally Kruger, Sarah Garston. Behind the confirmands is a replica of the Ten Commandments which rests above the curtained ark, which houses the Torah scrolls. In front of the dais is a seven-branched menorah. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117183/
[1930 Ahavath Sholom Dues Statement]
Bill for $125 in annual dues for the Ahavath Sholom Congregation, in Fort Worth, Texas. The dues statement is for congregation member, B. Max Mehl. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117169/
[Letter to Ahavath Sholom]
Typed letter from B. Max Mehl to the Ahavath Sholom Congregation. In the letter, Mehl responds to a dues statement sent to him from the congregation. The letter is requesting a corrected dues statement due to the congregation overcharging Mehl. The stationery includes a colored illustration at the top of the page that says, "Importer of and Dealer in Rare Coins, Medals, and Paper Money of all Countries and Periods" texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117170/
[1932 Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class]
Photograph of the 1932 Ahavath Sholom confirmation class standing around the altar (called a bimah) of the synagogue located at 823 Taylor Street in downtown Fort Worth, Texas. The members of the photograph, from left to right, are: Top row: Sylvia Engler (Roberts), Jesonda Gilbert (Fox), Sadye May Carshon (Garsek), Bessie Resnick, Lillian Rose Rabinowitz (Rosenthal), Rebecca Laves, Pearl Paul, Gussie Kruger, Dorothy Dworkin (Glazer), Sarah Weisblatt (Kragen), Rhoda Kershner. Bottom row: Jennie Moses (Winkler)(teacher), Rabbi Philip Graubart. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117184/
[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1932]
Copy photograph of the 1932 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are eleven girls in white dresses, holding bouquets and standing in a line on a platform. Their teacher, Jennie Moses (Winkler), and Rabbi Philip Graubart are standing in front of them. The students are Sylvia Engler (Roberts), Jesonda Gilbert (Fox), Sadye Maye Carshon (Garsek), Bessie Resnick, Lillian Rose Rabinowitz (Rosenthal), Rebecca Laves, Pearl Paul, Gussie Kruger, Dorothy Dworkin (Glazer), Sarah Weisblatt (Kragen), and Rhoda Kershner. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth404814/
[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Certificate, 1934]
A certificate of confirmation presented to Fay Rosenthal of the 1934 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. The certificate is signed by congregation Vice President L. F. Shanblum, Secretary Irving Klotzman, and Rabbi Philip Graubart. The confirmation class motto reads, "An Exalted Jewish Womanhood." The certificate has a gold seal with blue and white ribbons on it. At the top of the certificate, there is a picture of the Ten Commandments tablets. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth404824/
[1940 Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class]
Photograph of the 1940 Ahavath Sholom confirmation class standing around the altar of the synagogue located downtown on Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas. From left to right, the members of the photograph are: Front row: Bertha Haller, Gloria Sheinberg (Swann). Back row: Rabbi Philip Graubart, Margie Cohen (Levingston), Dorothy Bergman, Jennie Moses (Winkler)(teacher), Dorothy Cohen, Shirley Garston (Cohen), Annie Kaplan, Betty Daiches (Sher). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117185/
[Young Judea Convention]
Photograph of the members of Young Judea, a Jewish youth organization in Fort Worth, Texas. The organization held a regional conclave at the Ahavath Sholom Synagogue, where over one hundred members and group advisors posed, on the front steps in the 800 block Taylor Street, for the photograph. Many people in the photograph are unidentified. From left to right, bottom to top, here is a key to the known members: Row 1 (kneeling): Sylvia Wexler, Stanley Raskin (wearing a hat), Adele Natkin (wearing a white jacket). Row 2: Rabbi Samuel Soskin, Rabbi Philip Graubert, Cantor Israel Ashery, Ann Friedson (wearing a hat with flowers), Sally Kruger (heavy-set woman in the middle of the row), Israel N. Mehl (fourth from the right). Row 3: Bobby Rosenthal (smiling and wearing hat), Harry Perlman (third from left), Leon Schwartz (middle of row, looking to his right and frowning), Irv Rovinsky (last boy in the row, wearing a coat and tie). Row 4: Shirley Levine (fourth from the left in the middle of the row), Morris Sankary (sixth from the left, tall boy with rimless glasses), Shirley Garsten (behind Morris Sankary and to the right, wearing a white collared shirt), Mr. Louis Cohen, advisor (to the right of Shirley Garsten). Row 5: Isaac Levine, Israel Sheinberg. Row 6: Gloria Sheinberg (fourth from left, between two boys). Row 7: Esther Sankary (girl in the middle of row with dark hair, plaid jacket, and dark blouse), Sol Sankary (standing behind Esther Sankary). Row 8: Alvin Luskey (standing to the left of the girl wearing a hat, first in the row). Top Row: Leon Gachman (fourth from the left). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117211/
[Portrait of Harold Gilbert]
Photograph of Private 1st Class Harold Gilbert, a soldier from Fort Worth, Texas. In this portrait, he is pictured from the chest up, wearing his uniform and beret. Gilbert was killed en route from England to France in 1944, when his troopship was torpedoed by the Germans in the English Channel. Fort Worth's Rubin-Gilbert AZA chapter (the B'nai B'rith youth group for boys) is named after him and Lt. Alvin Rubin, who also died in the war. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117201/
[Portrait of Alvin Rubin]
Photograph of Lieutenant Alvin Rubin, an Air Force pilot from Fort Worth, Texas. He is pictured from the chest up, wearing his uniform. Rubin was killed in an plane crash over Dakar, French Africa on March 15, 1944. A graduate of Paschal High, he was a past chapter president of AZA, the B'nai B'rith youth group for boys. Fort Worth's Rubin-Gilbert AZA chapter is named after him and Pvt. Harold Gilbert, who also died in the war. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117213/
[George Marshall's Sympathy Card]
A letter from General George C. Marshall, the United States Army Chief of Staff, expressing his condolences for the death of an unidentified soldier. The text reads: "General Marshall extends his deep sympathy in your bereavement. Your son fought valiantly in a supreme hour of his country's need. His memory will live in the grateful heart of our nation." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117200/
[Western Union Telegram]
Photostat of a telegram from the United States Secretary of War to Mrs. Rose H. Gilbert, expressing his condolences for the death of her son, Private Harold Gilbert. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117202/
[Ladies Cemetery Society Minutes]
Handwritten minutes for the Ladies Cemetery Society commenting on the death of Private Harold Gilbert, the son of the society's recording secretary, Rose Gilbert. The text notes: “The absence of the secretary ...who had the misfortune of losing her son, Harold, Dec. 25, 1944, in the European Theater of the war, made the meeting a sad one; each and every one of the members present were in tears.” On the second page of the minutes, the group’s long-time president Mrs. Becky Goldstein recalls how she and Mrs. Gilbert used to “go out to collect dues at 25 cents each. Mrs. Gilbert furnished the horse and buggy.” texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117208/
[Letter to Gilbert Family]
Photostatic copy of a typed letter from the United States Secretary of War, Henry Stimson, to Max Gilbert. The letter awards Gilbert's son, Harold Gilbert with a Purple Heart for his service, and it expresses Stimson's condolences for the death of Harold Gilbert. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117203/
[Letter to Gilbert Family]
Two photostat copies of a typed letter from William J. Voelker Jr. to Mrs. Max Gilbert, mother of Private Harold Gilbert. The letter describes the attack that killed Harold Gilbert, and discusses the details of Gilbert's burial in Normandy, France on on Dec. 27, 1944. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117204/
[Letter from Harry Goldstein]
Typed letter to the family of Private Harold Gilbert from a fellow soldier named Harry Goldstein, sent from Marseilles. The letter describes the sinking of a troop transport ship, Dec. 25, 1944, in which in which Gilbert was killed. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117205/
[Memorial Service Flyer]
Flyer announcing a community memorial service to be held at the Ahavath Sholom Synagogue in Fort Worth, Texas. The memorial service was in memory of local soldiers "fallen in battle," and was officiated by Rabbi Samuel Soskin and Rabbi Charles Blumenthal. The soldiers remembered were: Richard Burt, Harold Gilbert, Alvin Rubin and Walter C. Sanders. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117207/
[1946 Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class]
Photograph of the 1946 Ahavath Sholom confirmation class standing around the altar (called a bimah) of the synagogue located downtown in the 800 block of Taylor Street in Fort Worth, Texas. From left to right, the members of the photograph are: Front Row: Rabbi Charles Blumenthal. Middle Row: Bessie Rutlader, Roselle Cooles, Ruth Spigel, Mary Sankary, Ruth Hendelman, Marilyn Coughey, Margie Weisblatt, Pearl Sankary. Back Row: Marshall Hillman, Sammy Hoffman, Sherwin Rubin. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117186/
AZA Banquet
Photograph of an Aleph Zadik Aleph (AZA) Banquet in the ballroom of Fort Worth's Hebrew Institute in the 800 block Taylor Street. The banquet room contains a stage and a piano in the background of the photograph. Members are seated at long tables. From left to right, the members of the photograph are: Cooks (back left, standing): Joe Zenick, Manny Solomon, P.D. Mallin, Sidney Cohen, "Uncle" Lou Cohen. Head Banquet Table (along the stage in the back, to the right of the cooks): Mary Frances Ginsberg, Robert Lidell, Ann Lidell, Rabbi Isadore Garsek, Sadye Mae Garsek, Rabbi Prero, R.D. Moses, Idelle Engelberg, Reuben Daiches, Mrs. Reuben Daiches, Mickey Goldman, Charlotte Max Goldman, unidentified, Adelene Zeff. Members seated at the foreground tables are listed from bottom right to back left. Table 1, row 1: Hy Glickman, Rose Glickman, Ada Robinson, M.Y. Robinson, Mr. Schwartz, Mrs. Schwartz, Mary Sankary, Ann Cohen, Ben Cohen, Selma Tiras, Miss Sankary, unidentified woman, Max Gilbert. Table 1, row 2: Goldie Tills, Joe Tills, Mrs. Kruger, Mr. Kruger, Herb Berkowitz, Adele Natkin, Sue Louis, Gloria Holtzman, Herbert Cooles, Mr. Gilbert, Charlie Levinson, Sam Anton, Bess Levinson, Sarah Anton. Table 2, row 1: Joe Siegel, Leon Tiras, Joe Daiches, Reuben Hillman, unidentified, Goldie Hillman, Ruth Sandler, unidentified man, Sarah Zeff, Sam Saikin, Meyer Zeff, Woff Moses, Aida Moses. Table 2, row 2: unidentified. Table 3, row 1: Abe Cohen, Roselle Cooles, Marshall Hillman, Easer Rovinsky, Lee Laves, Joe A. Sandler, Edward Luskey, Gilbert Friedson. Table 3, row 2: Samuel Sheinberg, Norman Rubin, Mrs. Friedman, Cantor Friedman, Rabbi Charles Blumenthal, Mrs. Blumenthal, unidentified boy, Mimi Bronstein, Danny Glazer. Table 4, row 1: Katheryn Spigel, Sam Spigel, Liz Spigel, Rose Luskey, Jake Luskey, Louis Luskey. Table 4, row 2: Dianne Solomon, Julius Solomon, Selma Solomon. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117197/
[Letter to a Gold Star Mother]
Typed letter from Amon Carter and his son, Amon Carter Jr. to "a Gold Star Mother." Gold Star Mothers is a support organization formed for mothers who lost a son or daughter in World War II. The letter expresses condolences and comfort to Rose Gilbert and was accompanied by a gift basket of grapefruits, as noted in the letter. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117206/
[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1949]
Photograph of the 1949 confirmation class of at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are four girls in white dresses, holding bouquets and standing in a line. One boy stands at the center in the front row in a dark suit and tie. The teachers, Helen Levenson and Charlotte Siegel, and Rabbi Charles Blumenthal and Rabbi Isadore Garsek are standing behind them. The group is posed on the bimah (altar) at the synagogue. The students are Sandra Zaetler, Pearl Katz, David Rubin, Barbara Walensky, and Lillian Sankary. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth404822/
[Jewish Federation of Fort Worth]
Photograph of the Women's Division of the Jewish Federation of Fort Worth, Texas. The women are gathered for a luncheon in the parlor of Beth-El Congregation, at 207 W. Broadway. From left to right, the members of the photograph are: Row 1, seated: Lena Dworkin, Sarah Kragan, Ida Lipshitz, Hannah Sandler, Sophie Miller, Ella Brachman, Marion Lederman, Dora Ginsburg. Row 2: Thelma Rosenbaum, unidentified, Jennie Labovitz, Reva Rubenstein, Charlotte Max Goldman, Rose Prager, Sarah Herman, Dolly Lipshitz, Rowena Kimmel, Annette Rosenthal, Ann Fred, Helen Levenson, Mrs. Max. Row 3: Sarah Ellman, Norma Mack, Lena (last name unknown), Fannie Baum, Sammy Simon, Florence Simon. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117193/
[Jewish Federation of Fort Worth Division Leaders]
Photograph of the Women's Division Leaders of the Jewish Federation of Fort Worth, Texas. The women are gathered in the parlor of the Beth-El Congregation, 207 W. Broadway Ave. From left to right, the women pictured are: Sophia Miller, Ida Lipshitz, Eli Fahn (the executive director), Ella Brachman, Hannah Sandler, Marion Lederman, Sarah Brachman (seated). texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117192/
[Rubin-Gilbert AZA Members]
Photograph of teenage boys in the Rubin-Gilbert Aleph Zadik Aleph (AZA) chapter in Fort Worth, Texas. From left to right, the members pictured are: Standing: David Edenbaum, Harry Lederman, Gary Luskey. Sitting: Kenneth Baum, Haskel Daiches, David Rubin, Jerry Weinstein, Lester Baum, Larry Steinberg, Lonnie Lurie. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117198/
[Jewish Pre-School Students]
Photograph of the first class of preschool students to enroll at the Lil Goldman Early Learning Center when it opened in the fall of 1952. The preschool was initially housed in a single classroom at Ahavath Sholom. Students are seated in several rows on a flight of stairs. The preschool's founding principal, Lil Goldman, is sitting on the bottom left side of the photograph, facing the students. Pictured: The students, in alphabetical order, are Arnold Applebaum, Laurie Barnett, Robert Beckoff, Nan Cohen, Lynn Cohen, Linda Davis, Ted Fahn, Elliot Garsek, Valerie Hall, Harriet Hamill, Charles Klimist, Arnold Kragen, Craig Lidell, Diane Meyerwitz, Donna Powell, Jay Rosen, Aaron Rosenbaum, Irwin Rubinson, Marty Rubinson, Rick Salam, Jerry Sankary, Noni Sonkin, Kay Lynne Tuck, Marc Wolens, Bonnie Victor, Marcia Rosenthal. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117189/
Family Night at La Grave Field
Flyer promoting "Family Night at La Grave Field" with the Fort Worth Cats, a minor league baseball team from Fort Worth, Texas. The flyer is promoting a game between the Cats and a team in Houston, Texas. There is an illustration of a baseball player holding a bat. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117194/
[Ahavath Sholom Synagogue]
Photograph of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation's third synagogue, located at the intersection of Eighth Avenue and Myrtle Street in Fort Worth, Texas. The $400,000 building, designed by architect Charles O. Chromaster and built by Rambo Construction Co., was completed in the Fall of 1952.The congregation remained at that location until December 1980. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117176/
[Fort Worth Cats Flyer]
Illustrated flyer for a Men's Club brunch at Congregation Ahavath Sholom featuring as guest speakers ball players from the Fort Worth Cats, the local minor league baseball team. The flyer invites all members to come enjoy food, baseball and festivities at the Sunday brunch, April 12, 1953. There is an illustration of a cowboy holding a lasso, a baseball and a baseball bat on the flyer. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117209/
[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1956]
Photograph of the 1956 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are six girls in white robes and five boys in dark robes and bow ties. Rabbi Isadore Garsek and Cantor A. Friedman stand in the back row. The students are Sandra Leona Berkowitz, Elaine Schwartz, Linda Ellen Grenadier, Frances Jay Friedman, Maxine Stein, Janet Marilyn Siegel, Harry David Pila, Harry Sherwin Bailin, Morton Alan Levenson, Alvin Daiches, and Cordell Green. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth404832/
[B'nai B'rith Youth District Convention]
Photograph of the teenagers at a 1956 B'nai B'rith Youth Organization (BBYO) district convention n Montgomery, Alabama. The conclave was at Huntingdon College. The male wing of the organization is called Aleph Zadik Aleph (AZA), and the female wing is called B'nai B'rith Girls (BBG). Text at the bottom of the photograph says, "BBYO District 7 Convention, Huntington College June 5-10, 1956 Montgomery, Ala." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117199/
[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1957]
Copy photograph of the 1957 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are seven girls in white robes and fourteen boys in dark robes and bow ties. Rabbi Isadore Garsek stands in the back center with them. The students are Cheryl Leff, Sylvia Lynn Cooles, Jeanie Labovitz, Debbie Brachman, Charlsa Sarvis, Jerilyn Cohen, Davida Rae Applebaum, Paul Weisblatt, David Garsek, Allen Hendelman, Marvin Tills, Bobby Rashti, Marshall Kragen, Jack Rubin, Allen Grenadier, Jack Marks, Michail Ben Cohen, Michael Carter, Louis Siegel, Allen Schuster, and Donald Stanley. They are pictured on the bimah (alter) of the synagogue. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth404844/
[Ahavath Sholom Synagogue]
Photograph of the Ahavath Sholom Congregation's second synagogue, located in the 800 block Taylor Street, Fort Worth, Texas. The synagogue, constructed in 1906 at a cost of $15,000, was a two-story brick building with stained-glass windows, a sanctuary with a balcony for women, and basement classrooms. The Hebrew phrase above the door translates to: "1906 Ahavath Sholom." The congregation worshiped in this synagogue from 1906 to 1951. The building was torn down to create a parking lot. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117178/
[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1960]
Photograph of the 1960 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are four girls in white robes and six boys in black robes with bow ties. Rabbi Isadore Garsek stands in the center of the back row with them. The students are Carol Shannahoff, Laurel Beth Kimbrell, Annetta Lichtman, Marsha Berger, Sidney Cohen, Stanley Spigel, Marvin Meinstein, Gay Coplin, Larry Daiches, and Ivan Beckhoff. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth404835/
[1961 Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class]
Photograph of the 1961 Ahavath Sholom confirmation class standing around the altar of the synagogue at 1600 W. Myrtle St., Fort Worth, Texas. The women are standing in the front and wearing light-colored robes; the men are standing in the back and wearing dark-colored robes. From left to right, the confirmands pictured are: Front row: Arlene Lois Sonkin, Leslie Faye Kreisberg, Karen Sue Imber, Andrea Bernstein (Deen), Marlene Annette Schwartz, Andrea Ruth Goldberg, Trudy Klimist, Diane Jane Mehl. Second row: Harold Zenick, Helen Susan Hillman, Gail S. Shandelson, Ellen Bari Brachman, Carol Klimist, Sally Ann Schumer, Karen Ann Lerner. Third row: Michael Raskin, Ronald Herzfeld, Lawrence J. Korenman, Edward H. Garsek, Gerald Zenick, Sanford Bogart, Charles Morton Coughey, Tommy Lee Stanley. Back row: Ronald D. Savitz, Herbert Weisblatt, Ben P. Herman, Cantor Phillip Kirshner, Rabbi Isadore Garsek, Ben D. Tobor, Sherwin Coplin, Richard J. Savitz. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117188/
[Congregation Ahavath Sholom Confirmation Class, 1962]
Photograph of the 1962 confirmation class at Congregation Ahavath Sholom. There are eleven girls in white robes and six boys in black robes and bow ties. Rabbi Isadore Garsek stands with them at the center in the back row wearing a tallis (prayer shawl). The students are Barbara Carol Tills, Ellen Beth Victor, Veronica Doskal, Rita Jean Battat, Carol Anne Cohen, Rosalyn Katz, Rochelle D. Berliner, Lana Laves, Pamela Rose Seigel, Vivian Levine, Dee Ann Stanley, Jerry Allen Paul, Stuart Schuster, Harry Saginaw, Harold Eisenman, Bernard White, and Darryl Rotenberg. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth404825/
[Jewish Pre-School Students]
Photograph of pre-school students at the Dan Danciger Jewish Community Center in Fort Worth, Texas. The students are arranged in five rows with students in the back two rows standing and the others are seated; the teachers are standing other either side of the students. From left to right, the teachers in the photograph are: Lil Goldman, Ceil Echt, Eunice Coy and Miriam Schultz. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117190/
[Book Fair Poster 1965]
Poster for the annual book fair "sponsored by the Council of Jewish Women," as noted on the front on the poster. Full poster text reads: "Book Fair, Give your Books Now to be Sold at Nominal Prices at the BOOK FAIR, APRIL 3 thru 11, SEMINARY SOUTH SHOPPING Center. PHONE WA3-7495 for FREE PICK-UP. PROCEEDS TO BENEFIT TARRANT COUNTY Youth Projects." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117195/
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST