Higgins Public Library
About this Partner
The Higgins Public Library was organized and sponsored by the Litera Club, a women's service organization, in 1937. Many silver teas, bake sales, bazaars, pancake suppers, chili suppers, art exhibits were held to support the library. On April 9, 1947, the library was destroyed by a tornado. The club rallied and restored the library in 1948 in a room at city hall on downtown Main Street, with 500 books. In 1973, the library was again moved but this time to permanent quarters in the new city hall and, in 1983, the room that was built especially for the library was enlarged.
The library was taken over by the Docilis Club, another women's service organization, in 1984. The Docilis Club had bake sales and sold cookbooks that were made by the Docilis Club with family recipes from members and residents of Higgins. At this time the Library recives money from Lipscomb County and the City of Higgins, as well as donations from the community. We belong to the Harrington Library Consortium, which opens a new world of information to our patrons.
The mission statement of the Higgins Public Library is commitment to enrich personal lives, encourage literacy, and promote lifetime reading and learning. We want to offer general information and answers to questions and to provide current topics and titles for our ever-changing world. We would like our library to be the "heartbeat" of our community.
201 N. Main