You limited your search to:

  Partner: Irving Archives
Agnes Sueppel Schulze in Buggy, c. 1904
Agnes Sueppel Schulze and a friend sit in a buggy in front of the Schulze home on Hastings Street, Irving, Texas, c. 1904. Agnes Schulze was the wife of Irving's co-founder J. O. Schulze. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3303/
Albert Farine Home
Albert Farine home, constructed in 1906 and burned in the 1960s. The Farine family came to Texas in 1855 as part of the La Reunion colony and settled in the area that is now Irving in 1859. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3285/
Automobiles, c. 1930
Automobiles parked by store fronts along Irving's Main Street, c. 1930. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3221/
Bill Gilbert at Irving State Bank
Two men shaking hands. Bill Gilbert (left) greeting customer Albert Farine in Irving State Bank's new building, 1947. The Merchants and Planters Bank was organized in 1907. Chaney and Fletcher Miller took over operation of the bank and in 1908 and had it chartered as the Irving State Bank. It later became Irving Bank and Trust Company and remained in business along Main Street until 1975. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3286/
Brick School Building Being Torn Down
The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The district built a three-story brick school building in 1913. The building, which came to be known as "Old Red," housed the entire student body for a number of years. It later became the elementary school and then the administration building. It was torn down in 1959. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3241/
C. P. Schulze House in Irving, Texas
House of Charles Percy Schulze. This house was constructed in 1912 in Irving, Texas. Schulze married Virginia Tucker of Dallas that same year. C. P. Schulze was the brother of Irving's co-founder J. O. Schulze. J. O. returned to their hometown of Iowa City, Iowa, in 1905, leaving his business in the hands of his brother. C. P. Schulze remained in Irving and operated Irving Lumber Company from 1905 until his death in 1957. The Schulze family donated this house to the city of Irving in 1975, and today it is a 1910s-period house museum. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3340/
C. P. Schulze, Sr., by His Car
C. P. Schulze, Sr., stands beside his automobile. Schulze purchased one of the first automobiles in the city of Irving, c. 1912. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3305/
C. P. Schulze, Sr., c. 1915
C. P. Schulze, Sr., in yard. Schulze was the brother of J. O. Schulze, who was the co-founder of the city of Irving. Both were members of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew. J. O. remained in Texas to found the town, and C. P. moved on with the crew. When J. O. and his wife had to return to Iowa City, Iowa, C. P. came to Irving and took over the lumber yard started by his brother. C. P. ran the lumber yard from 1905 until his death in 1957. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3315/
C. P. Schulze, Sr., Holding Fox Puppy, c. 1902
C. P. Schulze, Sr., holds a fox puppy. C. P. was a member of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway survey crew. The crew worked in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. In Texas, they worked a ten-mile stretch between Dallas and Fort Worth. J. O. Schulze, C. P.'s brother, was crew foreman. J. O. Schulze remained in Texas and co-founded the town of Irving along the tracks in 1903. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3304/
C. P. Schulze, Sr., Home in Irving, Texas
House of Charles Percy Schulze. This house was constructed in 1912 in Irving, Texas. Schulze married Virginia Tucker of Dallas that same year. C. P. Schulze was the brother of Irving's co-founder J. O. Schulze. J. O. returned to their hometown of Iowa City, Iowa, in 1905, leaving his business in the hands of his brother. C. P. Schulze remained in Irving and operated Irving Lumber Company from 1905 until his death in 1957. The Schulze family donated this house to the city of Irving in 1975, and today it is a 1910s-period house museum. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3341/
C. P. Schulze, Sr., Otis Brown, and Fred Joffre in Schulze's Car
C. P. Schulze, Sr., Otis Brown, and Fred Joffre (in back) sit in Schulze's new Hupmobile. The house in the background is Otis Brown's house on Iowa Street (today 327 S. O'Connor Road). Brown built the house in 1905. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3289/
Charles P. Schulze, Jr., in car, c. 1914
A child in an automobile. C. P. Schulze, Jr. son of Charles Percy and Virginia Schulze, is photographed in his father's car, c. 1914. The Schulze family operated Irving Lumber from the time of the town's founding in 1903 until the 1980s. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3371/
Charles Schulze, Jr., and John Brown as Children
Charles Schulze, Jr., and John Brown as children, c. 1915. Charles Schulze, Jr., was the nephew of town co-founder J. O. Schulze. John Brown was the son of the other town co-founder Otis Brown. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3266/
Children in a Toy Car
Howard and Lorene Lucas play in their early toy automobile, c. 1913. The children's father, Doug Lucas, ran a general merchandise store in Irving from 1906-1931. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3240/
Cotton Gin
Cotton gin, Irving, Texas texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3293/
Couple in Union Bower
An unidentified couple enjoys an afternoon in the Union Bower community, c. 1910. Union Bower was a farming community that today is part of eastern Irving. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3235/
Covered Wooden Bridge, c. 1902
Covered bridge, c. 1902. This bridge was photographed by one of the members of a Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf survey crew as it worked its way through Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Two of the crew members remained behind in Texas and established the town of Irving along the rail line between Dallas and Fort Worth in 1903. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3360/
Doug Lucas Family in Surrey
The Doug Lucas family in a surrey. Doug Lucas holds his daughter Lorene while his wife holds their son Howard. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3243/
Doug Lucas Store
W. D. Lucas operated a general store on Irving's Main Street from 1906 until 1931. After changing locations twice, he settled in this two-story brick building in about 1920. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3244/
Dr. and Mrs. John Haley
Dr. John Haley was one of the Irving area's earliest physicians. The Haley family arrived in the area in the late 1850s. John was born in 1866. He was a teacher for a time, but after his first wife died, he returned to school and then entered the medical profession. He served as Irving's mayor from 1927 until his death in 1932. He is pictured here with his second wife, Anna Good Haley, in 1906. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3256/
Dr. and Mrs. John Roberts
Dr. John Roberts and his wife Etta Williams Roberts in their horse-drawn buggy. Dr. Roberts was one of Irving's first physicians. He died at the age of 35 in 1918. The couple had three sons, one of whom became a physician and was instrumental in the development of Irving's first hospital during the 1950s and 1960s. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3247/
Earl and John Brown and Charles Schulze as children, c. 1914
Earl Brown, John Brown, and Charles Schulze, Jr., c. 1914. The Brown boys were sons of Irving's co-founder, Otis Brown. Charles Schulze, Jr., was the nephew of town co-founder, J. O. Schulze. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3265/
Earl Steele Delivering the Mail
Earl Steel delivers the mail in Irving in his horse-drawn two-wheeled vehicle, c. 1910. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3228/
Early Irvingites on the Road
Early Irvingites take to the road, c. 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3261/
Early Irvingites Pose for Photo, c. 1915
A group of early Irvingites pose for a photo, c. 1915. On the back of the photo is written: Kate, Early, Myrtle, and friends. They were Early, Kate, and Myrtle Story, and the photo was taken in front of the Story house at 304 S. Britain Road. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3330/
Elm School Student Body
The Elm school served the farming community know as Elm which was located just north of Irving. Pictured in the back row left to right are: teacher Mrs. Holland, Lee Metker, Mary Farine, Ruth Holt, Lucy Parker, Sadie Watkins, Henry Farine, and Maudie Carroll. Next row: Lucy Farine, John Farine, Gus Story, Clyde Allen, Arthur Farine, Lillian Works, and Lela Toler. Next row: Ora Seat, Bill Metker, Foy Holt, Irene Nichols, Thelma Works, and Ann Carroll. Front row: Howard Parker, Fred Story, Milton Holt, Roy Bailey, and Bertha Farine. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3276/
Essie and Joe Keeling Family
Essie and Joe Keeling were from two early Irving families. They married in 1910. The couple had three children. Here the couple is pictured with two of their children, Helen on the right and Weldon on the left, c. 1911-1912. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3270/
First St. Luke's Catholic Church
First St. Luke’s Catholic Church, built in 1904. Located on the corner of Second and Jefferson, this building was used until 1920. Several French families, many from the defunct La Reunion colony, founded the parish. A parish list from 1890 includes the names of DeHaes, Chassang, Beaufford, and Boinard. Prior to 1904, Masses were held in private homes and later moved to the Lively School House on Britain Street. The city founders donated the lot for this church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3290/
Hawks Chapel Methodist Church
The Union Bower community was settled during the 1880s. It was located about north and east of the town site of Irving, which was founded in 1903. The Reverend W. E. Hawks of Dallas, who had been preaching in the Union Bower area since 1887, directed the building of a church in the community. In 1907, Hawks Chapel Methodist Church opened. In this photo, members of the congregation pose in front of the church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3234/
Helen Keeling Sale on Her Wedding Day
Helen Keeling Sale on her wedding day. Helen Keeling, daughter of early Irvingites Joe and Essie Keeling, is pictured on the day she married Robert Sale. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3269/
Henry Britain Home
The home of Henry W. Britain, the rancher who sold eighty acres to J.O. Schulze and Otis Brown for the original Irving townsite. The land sold for $30 an acre. This home was located near Nursery and Perry roads. Further to the south, Britain watered his livestock at the pond near the intersection of Nursery and Irving Blvd. The Britain family came to this area in 1859. Dave, Lee, Eunice, and Henry W. Britain are among those in the photo. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3264/
Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story
Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story. The Story family came from Illinois to the area that would later become Irving in 1855. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3238/
Hezekiah Story Family
The Story family was one of the pioneer families to the region. Here Hezekiah Story is pictured with his family. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3236/
Howard-Beaufford House
Constructed in May 1904 as the home of Joseph B. Howard and his wife, Susan, it stood on 2.5 acres just south of Irving's city limits. Eugene and May Ann Beaufford bought the property in 1919. They operated a truck farm on the acreage. They later divided the land among their children. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3296/
Iron Bridge Across the West Fork of the Trinity River Near Irving, Texas
This bridge was on the main road from Dallas to Irving. It crossed the West Fork of the Trinity River just north of Eagle Ford in what today is west Dallas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3350/
Irving Cotton Gin
The cotton gin, located at Irving Boulevard and Britain, was dismantled about 1916. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3263/
Irving High School Football Team, 1924
Irving High School football team, district champs, 1924. Back row: Vernon Thompkens, Lynn Harkey, Coach Fred Nance, Noel Toney, and Edwin Metker. Front row: Marshall “Bobby” Anderson, Harland Cunningham, Julius Toney, Eugene Grider, Ralph Plumber, J. L. Crosby, John Britain, and W. S. Fields, with water boy John Steele texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3248/
Irving High School Girls' Basketball Team, 1922
Irving High School girls' basketball team, 1922. Left to right are: Mae Mitchell, Exie Cunningham, Delma Crowe, Wilma Harkey, unidentified, Lillian Embree texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3262/
Irving High School Graduating Class of 1916
Graduating class of Irving High School, 1916. First row, front to back, are: Osten Cushenberry, Frank Haley, and Roy Lively. Second row, front to back, are: Theo Dehaes, Inez Moore, Homer Duckworth. Third row, front to back, are: Susie Clark, Velma Duckworth, and Roy Miller. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3249/
Irving Index Workshop
This building served as the home of the "Irving Index" in Irving. It was built behind the home of the newspaper's owner, R. M. Hudson. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3272/
Irving Motoring Enthusiasts
Early Irvingites prepare for a motor outing, c. 1912. On the left is the Schulze family automobile and on the right is the Robinson family car. The boy on the running board is Joe Williamson. Behind the wheel is Percy Schulze and next to him is his wife, Virginia. In the other vehicle, in no particular order are, Mr. T. G. Robinson, Mr. Williamson, May Williamson, Mrs. T. G. Robinson, Ward Robinson, and Mrs. Marsh. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3268/
Irving Near Dallas
Advertisement from the Irving Board of Trade, enticing farmers to move to Irving, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3374/
Irving School Fifth Grade Class, 1922-23
Irving School 5th grade class, 1922-23. The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3327/
Irving School Sixth Grade Class, 1923 - 1924
The sixth grade class of the Irving Schools, 1923-24. Charles Schulze is on top row, second from left. Charles Schulze was the nephew of Irving's co-founder J. O. Schulze. The Schulze family ran Irving Lumber Company for many decades. Charles Schulze was a member of the city commission and worked to make Irving a home rule city in the early 1950s. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3328/
Irving School's Third Grade Class, c. 1930s
Mrs. White's third grade class, c. 1930s. The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The building in this photograph was a three-story red brick building that was constructed in 1913. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3258/
Irving State Bank Board of Directors, 1949
Members of the Irving State Bank board of directors, 1949. Standing left to right are: Dr. F. M. Gilbert; W. E. Harrington; John Brandenburg; Charlie Lucas; and Zack Gilliland; seated left to right are: Charles Schulze, Jr.; Louis Blaylock; Mac Clawson; Bill Gilbert; Larry Bellah; W. H. (Boots) Roberts; and Gus Crassons. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3300/
Irving Student Body at the Water Tower
The student body of the Irving Independent School District gathers at the water tower, which was in the middle of the intersection of Main and First streets (Irving Blvd.), to celebrate growing to a district of 500 students, c. 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3242/
Irving Train Depot
Two men in front of the Irving train depot. The Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway built this depot in 1904. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3225/
J. B. Howard House
A lady standing on a porch at the Howard home at 318 Iowa (now O’Connor Rd.), believed to be Irving's oldest existing house, built in 1904. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3298/
J. O. and Agnes Schulze, c. 1904
J. O. Schulze and his wife Agnes Sueppel Schulze in the doorway of their home, c. 1904. J. O. Schulze co-foundef the city of Irving, Texas, in 1903. He married Agnes Sueppel during that same year. Both were natives of Iowa City, Iowa. Due to Agnes's poor health, the couple left Irving and returned to Iowa City in 1905. The man in the center of the doorway is unidentified. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3337/
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 NEXT LAST